The Student Room Group

i hit on my orthodontist but i don't get what happened next? (convo included)

some of you may remember i asked a couple questions a few months ago about whether i should chat up my orthodontist or not. anyway i've seen him a few more times since i posted those questions. once he was eating an ice cream cone after the appt in the lobby area and i was chatting with some other dentists there (they are all young and in their 20s) and in the middle i glanced towards him and he was looking my way and said "you want some ice cream?!" and smiled while holding out his ice cream cone- that he had just started eating. i laughed and said no thanks....it was weird because i was wearing retainers too and he knew that because i had just seen him a few minutes prior for a retainer checkup. anyway yeah aside from that he's just always been friendly and nice- he's complimented my teeth a lot and told me i have a nice smile once but i'm sure that is nothing and that he says that to all patients who have braces ( i didnt go to him for braces, i went to a different ortho. i went to him to get new retainers).

NOW COMING TO THE INTERESTING PART:
so i decided to message him about a doubt that i had, it was an actual doubt haha. i got his number from the dental receptionist who is always messaging me funnily enough...so yeah i messaged him about this doubt on whatsapp (i had just seen him earlier in the evening in person so it wasnt random, i didnt have an appt with him, i had a teeth cleaning but i bumped into him at the practice and he smiled and talked to me for a min) and he replied. then the next happened:

me: ok great thanks :smile: haha you probably thought you were all done with work but then here i popped up with more questions. anyway, how's your sat night going? whatever is left of it anyway *wink face*

him: haha the night is young. it's just started actually. *4 wink faces*

me: haha got it. so what are some cool fun things to do around london?

him: i'm not much of a party guy, but there's a lot of good restaurants and apart from the usual, which is drinking *crying laughing face*

me: haha yeah that can get monotonous but nice dinners are always good :smile: i'm not really into the whole club scene.

he didn't reply so a few hours later i said:

me: so what are these good dinner places you speak of? ***** always feels a bit boring to me but i guess that's cause i don't know the right places.

him: a lot of places, *my name*. *****- nice restaurants there. ***** is another option, good food there. ****** definitely. *two happy faces* like i said, the night is young. *two more happy faces*

me: the night definitely iss young...or was. haha i'm about to crash now. haha yeah i like those areas a lot

he didn't reply because i sent this at like 4 am and i am guessing he was asleep and saw it the next morning.

then i sent this in the afternoon:

me: ok *his name* you got yourself a deal hahah since you seem to know the cool places around london aside the dental practice haha, show me around sometime *happy face*. i barely know people here

him: done. *2 happy faces* definitely when we go out, will surely give you a buzz.

me: sounds goood *happy face*

so he didnt send invite me anywhere that week and i got curious and thought that since i already put in the effort to talk to him i better make something good come out of this. and i thought he seemed interested to invite me somewhere because he replied to that message of mine telling him to show me around in like 1 minute within seeing it (i saw when i saw it) and he sounded happy with all the happy emoticons and whatnot. so i thought maybe i should prod him a little. about a week later i sent this:

me: hey, what's up? when's that hangout coming along haha?

him: hey, i'm good....a bit under the weather. we are planning to go out one of these days, in the coming week....will surely buzz you. *3 happy faces*.

me: yeah the weather sucks these days too, ugh. ok, sure *happy face*.

that was the last of our messages and those messages happened last monday. the whole of last week he never messaged me or invited me anywhere even though he had said "definitely in this coming week". his replies were always very fast and he sent a lot of happy faces and also sent 4 winks in one message one time, as i've written above, so he sounded interested. if he was hesitating or didn't want to hang out with me he would have sounded more distant right? like maybe "sure i'll let you know". i don't think professionalism is holding him back at all because it is a very chill place and he's sending me wink faces and is always relaxed and laid back when i talk to him in person. majority of the people working there are all in their 20s and the receptionist guy messages me all the time and another dentist there added me on facebook and he talks to me whenever i bump into him, so i don't think they are that uptight. the guy i was messaging never did anything weird in person- just 2 things interesting i suppose- one being the ice cream thing i already mentioned and another was once i was looking down towards my feet (while lying in the dental chair) and when i looked up at his face (which was above my head as he was standing) he quickly looked the other way. he could have a gf but i know he isn't married for sure. if he has a gf he could be wanting to invite me somewhere to be friends but also hesitant? or he could be single and waiting for a good time to invite me somewhere because he obviously can't invite me to the house of his friend or something...it would need to be a restaurant or pub, etc...and our last messages were about a week ago so not THAT much time has passed.

anyway what do you think about our messages and what do you think he may think of this/me? how do i come across in all of this?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

maybe your dentist guy is worried about breaching professional ethics by getting involved with a patient ?
Original post by searust
x

Sounds legit
Reply 3
LOL I don't know what to say. I don't know why you're looking so much into this ice cream thing?! It makes no sense to me, I personally don't think he was flirting by saying do you want some.. it just sounds like a joke. If he was really interested he would've invited you out pretty much straight away. Instead he kept saying "we're" so I'm assuming he would've invited you along with his dental mates rather than just you and him so I don't think he likes you in that way... maybe just as a friend.
Reply 4
Original post by aarora
LOL I don't know what to say. I don't know why you're looking so much into this ice cream thing?! It makes no sense to me, I personally don't think he was flirting by saying do you want some.. it just sounds like a joke. If he was really interested he would've invited you out pretty much straight away. Instead he kept saying "we're" so I'm assuming he would've invited you along with his dental mates rather than just you and him so I don't think he likes you in that way... maybe just as a friend.

a friend thought it was something weird...i didn't think about it at first either. when i replied saying no thanks and laughed all the other people working there laughed too. i didn't catch the ortho's reaction fully but i think he just looked down and laughed.
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
maybe your dentist guy is worried about breaching professional ethics by getting involved with a patient ?

but he didn't seem to have any problem in inviting me along with his friends. and i was fine with that too
Reply 6
Original post by searust
but he didn't seem to have any problem in inviting me along with his friends. and i was fine with that too

Sweetie its obvious he was being polite to you by saying yes come out with us will let you know also you are the one always initiating the conversation and he doesn't carry on the conversation.
Yes he may have offered you his ice cream but again i think he was having a joke.
I don't think he was interested if he messages telling you to meet him and his friends then maybe he is interested but at the minute just think he is a friendly guy.
Reply 7
Original post by chikane
Sweetie its obvious he was being polite to you by saying yes come out with us will let you know also you are the one always initiating the conversation and he doesn't carry on the conversation.
Yes he may have offered you his ice cream but again i think he was having a joke.
I don't think he was interested if he messages telling you to meet him and his friends then maybe he is interested but at the minute just think he is a friendly guy.

i guess so...but as a professional it would be weirder for him to be the one to initiate the conversation as opposed to just replying. but i too think he's just being friendly i guess.
Reply 8
Can anyone else offer up some insight i mean come on
Reply 9
Original post by searust
some of you may remember i asked a couple questions a few months ago about whether i should chat up my orthodontist or not. anyway i've seen him a few more times since i posted those questions. once he was eating an ice cream cone after the appt in the lobby area and i was chatting with some other dentists there (they are all young and in their 20s) and in the middle i glanced towards him and he was looking my way and said "you want some ice cream?!" and smiled while holding out his ice cream cone- that he had just started eating. i laughed and said no thanks....it was weird because i was wearing retainers too and he knew that because i had just seen him a few minutes prior for a retainer checkup. anyway yeah aside from that he's just always been friendly and nice- he's complimented my teeth a lot and told me i have a nice smile once but i'm sure that is nothing and that he says that to all patients who have braces ( i didnt go to him for braces, i went to a different ortho. i went to him to get new retainers).

NOW COMING TO THE INTERESTING PART:
so i decided to message him about a doubt that i had, it was an actual doubt haha. i got his number from the dental receptionist who is always messaging me funnily enough...so yeah i messaged him about this doubt on whatsapp (i had just seen him earlier in the evening in person so it wasnt random, i didnt have an appt with him, i had a teeth cleaning but i bumped into him at the practice and he smiled and talked to me for a min) and he replied. then the next happened:

me: ok great thanks :smile: haha you probably thought you were all done with work but then here i popped up with more questions. anyway, how's your sat night going? whatever is left of it anyway *wink face*

him: haha the night is young. it's just started actually. *4 wink faces*

me: haha got it. so what are some cool fun things to do around london?

him: i'm not much of a party guy, but there's a lot of good restaurants and apart from the usual, which is drinking *crying laughing face*

me: haha yeah that can get monotonous but nice dinners are always good :smile: i'm not really into the whole club scene.

he didn't reply so a few hours later i said:

me: so what are these good dinner places you speak of? ***** always feels a bit boring to me but i guess that's cause i don't know the right places.

him: a lot of places, *my name*. *****- nice restaurants there. ***** is another option, good food there. ****** definitely. *two happy faces* like i said, the night is young. *two more happy faces*

me: the night definitely iss young...or was. haha i'm about to crash now. haha yeah i like those areas a lot

he didn't reply because i sent this at like 4 am and i am guessing he was asleep and saw it the next morning.

then i sent this in the afternoon:

me: ok *his name* you got yourself a deal hahah since you seem to know the cool places around london aside the dental practice haha, show me around sometime *happy face*. i barely know people here

him: done. *2 happy faces* definitely when we go out, will surely give you a buzz.

me: sounds goood *happy face*

so he didnt send invite me anywhere that week and i got curious and thought that since i already put in the effort to talk to him i better make something good come out of this. and i thought he seemed interested to invite me somewhere because he replied to that message of mine telling him to show me around in like 1 minute within seeing it (i saw when i saw it) and he sounded happy with all the happy emoticons and whatnot. so i thought maybe i should prod him a little. about a week later i sent this:

me: hey, what's up? when's that hangout coming along haha?

him: hey, i'm good....a bit under the weather. we are planning to go out one of these days, in the coming week....will surely buzz you. *3 happy faces*.

me: yeah the weather sucks these days too, ugh. ok, sure *happy face*.

that was the last of our messages and those messages happened last monday. the whole of last week he never messaged me or invited me anywhere even though he had said "definitely in this coming week". his replies were always very fast and he sent a lot of happy faces and also sent 4 winks in one message one time, as i've written above, so he sounded interested. if he was hesitating or didn't want to hang out with me he would have sounded more distant right? like maybe "sure i'll let you know". i don't think professionalism is holding him back at all because it is a very chill place and he's sending me wink faces and is always relaxed and laid back when i talk to him in person. majority of the people working there are all in their 20s and the receptionist guy messages me all the time and another dentist there added me on facebook and he talks to me whenever i bump into him, so i don't think they are that uptight. the guy i was messaging never did anything weird in person- just 2 things interesting i suppose- one being the ice cream thing i already mentioned and another was once i was looking down towards my feet (while lying in the dental chair) and when i looked up at his face (which was above my head as he was standing) he quickly looked the other way. he could have a gf but i know he isn't married for sure. if he has a gf he could be wanting to invite me somewhere to be friends but also hesitant? or he could be single and waiting for a good time to invite me somewhere because he obviously can't invite me to the house of his friend or something...it would need to be a restaurant or pub, etc...and our last messages were about a week ago so not THAT much time has passed.

anyway what do you think about our messages and what do you think he may think of this/me? how do i come across in all of this?

Shorter or Audio version available?
I think you're just waiting for someone to come along and say 'Oh yes he definitely likes you'
The fact that he didn't invite you out straight away should give you a clue and additionally you've been initiating conversation each time. I don't think it has anything to do with it being weird for him to initiate the conversation to maintain professionalism because otherwise he wouldn't have carried on in the first place. I reckon he's just being friendly.
Honestly, it does sound like he's being friendly and trying to make sure it's not awkward when you go in next time but i'd say he isn't interesting in anything romantic.
Reply 12
Original post by jawsontheflooor
I think you're just waiting for someone to come along and say 'Oh yes he definitely likes you'
The fact that he didn't invite you out straight away should give you a clue and additionally you've been initiating conversation each time. I don't think it has anything to do with it being weird for him to initiate the conversation to maintain professionalism because otherwise he wouldn't have carried on in the first place. I reckon he's just being friendly.

no, i'm well aware of the fact that he hasn't messaged and most likely does not like me in that way. i just didn't get why he should sound so excited to hang out and use words like "done, definitely" or "surely" if he doesn't want to. guys who do this are morons. he could send a message by just saying "sure i'll let you know". but yeah, i guess he is just being friendly..thanks.
Reply 13
Original post by bethwalker85
Honestly, it does sound like he's being friendly and trying to make sure it's not awkward when you go in next time but i'd say he isn't interesting in anything romantic.

i guess so but isn't this going to make it more awkward?? like he's said "done, surely, definitely i'll message you" but ends up not? it looks kind of silly and childish and unstraightforward on his part. guys who act like this are lame. he could just maintain a distance and say "sure sometime" or something vague like that. i mean what's with all the winks and happy faces? i guess he uses those for everyone.
At least you used paragraphs in your OP. I actually read the damn thing for once :lol:
Reply 15
Original post by hxfsxh
At least you used paragraphs in your OP. I actually read the damn thing for once :lol:

hahahah it's a habit. and thanks hahaha so what is your answer?
Original post by searust
hahahah it's a habit. and thanks hahaha so what is your answer?

Ummm, wait it out?
Original post by searust
i guess so but isn't this going to make it more awkward?? like he's said "done, surely, definitely i'll message you" but ends up not? it looks kind of silly and childish and unstraightforward on his part. guys who act like this are lame. he could just maintain a distance and say "sure sometime" or something vague like that. i mean what's with all the winks and happy faces? i guess he uses those for everyone.

I'd just leave it for now and let him come back to you. You don't want to appear desperate or too eager by messaging him constantly, just put him to the back of your mind for now.
Reply 18
Original post by bethwalker85
I'd just leave it for now and let him come back to you. You don't want to appear desperate or too eager by messaging him constantly, just put him to the back of your mind for now.

yeah i'll do that thanks. the funny thing is i don't have an actual big crush on this guy.....but i was curious to hang out with him and the guys at my uni all suck.
I think we're hesitant to answer because we dunno either. Good luck though, I wanna see what happeeennnsss

if it were me, I'd not message for a while, and maybe if anything appropriate pops up (like some kind of event) that you could invite him along to, go for it. Either way, it seems like waiting is your best option...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending