The Student Room Group

What is it with muslim people and wanting to study medicine?

Scroll to see replies

And also it's a very honourable thing to do, dedicating your life to saving and helping others, which is promoted in Islam (treating others well, visiting the sick, donating etc) basically to bring good to the world and to make positive changes
I pooped on my parents dreams the moment I said I do not wish to pursue medicine as a degree
You mean Asian parents Typically prefer that field of work. Let's not confuse religion and culture, because then I'm guessing the other 2 people were Christian etc?

It's CULTURALLY favoured by Asian parents, however It is not favoured by all Asians. Most are proud whatever career their child wishes to persue. As for the person above who said Islam promotes helping people... You can do that with any field of work e.g teaching, cleaning, therapist, receptionist.

I'm Muslim and I'm not in medicine 😊
(edited 8 years ago)
Because asians (not Muslims necessarily - there are many Hindu and Christian asians who also want to do medicine) excel in the sciences and are also encouraged by their parents to go into high paying careers with a lot of prestige - and naturally science = medicine. Also, in a lot of cases, one or both of the parents is also a doctor and a lot of children tend to follow in their parent's career paths.

I'm muslim and I wanna do medicine :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it's a small sample size but I don't think it's a muslim thing it's more of an asian thing. I'm muslim but asian as well and both parents are doctors and both siblings are doing medicine so yeah I agree because almost everyone else I know in my life that is asian want to do medicine and I guess it's because it's a really secure occupation because the chances of you getting a job is very certain. Well that's why my mum wants me to do it as well because she's just looking out for me

Spoiler

I'm certain that it's most probably to do with the fact they are Asians, and not Muslim. It just so happens that a good number of Asians are Muslims as well. I'm Asian, Muslim and going to study Medicine in September. Although the decision was mine itself my parents did secretly hint at it as if there weren't any other courses around lol I don't think religion really played a role in my desire to study it. But there are many Asian Muslims out there who don't study Medicine.
Original post by samina_ay
it's a doctor or nothing in some asian families

thankfully mine didn't put any emphasis on a job role, just said do good in school :tongue:

What are you doing?
Original post by Anonbabes
What are you doing?

Primary teaching
Reply 48
It's probably more Asian than Muslim. Of the 10 people who applied for medicine in my year, 9 were Asian and 1 was Irish with 3 Asians being Muslim. A lots of English people originally wanted to do medicine but a lot of them didn't get the AS grades to apply unfortunately. Personally I wasn't pressured to do medicine, my parents didn't want me to do medicine because it's too hard of a career in their eyes with long hours ect.

Quick Reply

Latest