The Student Room Group

PDSA Volunteering

I applied online to volunteer at a PDSA charity shop two weeks ago today, and have not received anything via email yet. Should I wait another while, or not expect to hear back from them?
Original post by cameron2101
I applied online to volunteer at a PDSA charity shop two weeks ago today, and have not received anything via email yet. Should I wait another while, or not expect to hear back from them?

Sometimes volunteer organisations are not great at responding to emails, and it can take a while to get a regional volunteer manager to review your application. I'd recommend phoning up (either a number online, or the number for the shop), and explaining that you've applied but haven't heard back yet and whether they can give you a timescale.
Original post by Charlotte49
Sometimes volunteer organisations are not great at responding to emails, and it can take a while to get a regional volunteer manager to review your application. I'd recommend phoning up (either a number online, or the number for the shop), and explaining that you've applied but haven't heard back yet and whether they can give you a timescale.

Thanks for your response, I phoned them up last week and I'm going in for an interview tomorrow. What is an interview for a charity shop like?
Thanks for your response, I phoned them up last week and I'm going in for an interview tomorrow. What is an interview for a charity shop like?

You will be fine.

They just wnat someone who can be organised, work in a team and probide customer service. be a bit enthusiastic. You should also have a look at the PDSA website, understand what they do and how the shops fit in. that should be good enough to get you in.
Original post by 999tigger
You will be fine.

They just wnat someone who can be organised, work in a team and probide customer service. be a bit enthusiastic. You should also have a look at the PDSA website, understand what they do and how the shops fit in. that should be good enough to get you in.

Do you have any idea of what I should wear? Casual clothes? Smart clothes? Jeans? Thank you :smile:

Do you have any idea of what I should wear? Casual clothes? Smart clothes? Jeans? Thank you :smile:

Never jeans. Is it an interview wiith the manager? Go smart casual i.e smart to show you made an effort. Shirt, but a tie is up to you.

Should be very straightforward and simple, volunteer organisations just want to see that you are a decent person and are committed to the charity's cause. A bit of website research should be sufficient. Any sort of customer service experience you have will be useful too, but don't worry if you don't have any. Charities realise that you are giving your time for free so should be happy to train you up if you show enthusiasm. You should consider why you want to work for that charity in particular, why you want to work in the charity shop and be prepared to discuss how much time you can realistically offer.
Original post by Charlotte49
Should be very straightforward and simple, volunteer organisations just want to see that you are a decent person and are committed to the charity's cause. A bit of website research should be sufficient. Any sort of customer service experience you have will be useful too, but don't worry if you don't have any. Charities realise that you are giving your time for free so should be happy to train you up if you show enthusiasm. You should consider why you want to work for that charity in particular, why you want to work in the charity shop and be prepared to discuss how much time you can realistically offer.

Original post by 999tigger
You will be fine.

It was very relaxed and informal. Thanks very much for responding, I start next Saturday :smile:
Thought you'd be fine. Well done and hope its fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending