The Student Room Group

Extracurricular work

Hi guys !! To give context I’m a year 12 student looking to go into veterinary medicine with Bristol as my first choice. I’ve been trying to convince my dad to let me do volunteering for RSPCA or PDSA for 1-2 hours every week to biweekly but he isn’t letting me. Do you guys have any idea of what I should say to convince him? My two older brothers keep saying there’s no point and I’ll get even if I don’t bother with this but I know this field is way very competitive and I won’t feel secure if I don’t do this.
What does he say are his reasons for refusing?

Without understanding what his concerns are no one can help you to change his mind.
Reply 2
I don't have an answer unfortunatley with regard to your father.

However it may be that people in the vet med forum may have some ideas on how to gain work experience and its importance. (This is the medical schools forum)

Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by laby.rinth
Hi guys !! To give context I’m a year 12 student looking to go into veterinary medicine with Bristol as my first choice. I’ve been trying to convince my dad to let me do volunteering for RSPCA or PDSA for 1-2 hours every week to biweekly but he isn’t letting me. Do you guys have any idea of what I should say to convince him? My two older brothers keep saying there’s no point and I’ll get even if I don’t bother with this but I know this field is way very competitive and I won’t feel secure if I don’t do this.

It is crucial you have vet med experience in order to answer questions at interview and also demonstrate you have a real understanding of what is involved in vetting.You will not secure a place without it.Is he worried about your grades if you work?I mean one or 2 hrs bi- weekly is not going to effect your school work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending