The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Huh?

Personally I'd say no, I think it's ok to date and have feelings but maybe marriage is going too far, like you close off your family to any outside sources, you don't get any in-laws. It's all just weird and messed up to me.
Depends on what you mean by 'cousin' because Africans and Asians consider everyone to be a 'cousin' :tongue:

On a serious note, I wouldn't. I see my cousins as my siblings. I would never marry my sibling...
Reply 3
Hell no.
Marriage usually results in children. Said children will be (most likely) disabled. Why would you want that?
Reply 5
Original post by Legendary Quest
Depends on what you mean by 'cousin' because Africans and Asians consider everyone to be a 'cousin' :tongue:

On a serious note, I wouldn't. I see my cousins as my siblings. I would never marry my sibling...

I mean first cousin.
Noooo!
It depends on how close you have been all your life. For example I would never marry one of my cousins because I feel as if they're my own brothers. But say someone doesn't see their cousin often and then they meet propperly when they're older and fall in love, get married I guess that's ok. Also I guess marrying second/ distance cousins would be Okay too. But idk it's still weird. My aunt is married to her cousin that means they both share a grandparent and that would be way too gross for me:eek4:
Society frowns upon people like this, but without them we wouldn't have Channel 5 documentaries.
Emm some of my cousins have married their cousins sooo with their own will sooo......
Reply 10
Original post by RezzBerry
Marriage usually results in children. Said children will be (most likely) disabled. Why would you want that?

I wouldn't, it's disgusting on all levels, but i hear it's quite common in the UK?

Spoiler

I don't know how common it is but my neighbors are a married couple. They are first cousins. Three of their four kids are disabled, with one being severally disabled. So I guess, yeah, it is (kinda) common.

There is a stereotype of Pakistanis engaging in this act.

But what about infertile or gay cousins?

That a cousin marriage would most likely result in disabled children is simply false. They would most likely not be disabled, although there is an increased risked.

Problems with health and cousin marriage result from multiple generations marrying their cousins. Even then, it's an increased probability, with most kids not having disabilities.
Reply 14
My parents are first cousins, me and my brother are perfectly fine fit and healthy individuals.
I'm personally in love with my first cousin and have told my mum that if she likes me too I'd like to marry her because love isn't something you control, you don't choose who to fall in love with so yeah.. I guess I will marry my first cousin. If we have a disabled child, it is god's will. However, if my wife wanted an abortion then I wouldn't force her to have the kid. I don't see it as disgusting or wrong to marry your cousin.

Spoiler

If that's what will make you and your partner happy, why not go ahead? I don't see a problem with that. Although, I would strongly discourage my children ever doing it.
Reply 16
I don't know how common it is but my neighbors are a married couple. They are first cousins. Three of their four kids are disabled, with one being severally disabled. So I guess, yeah, it is (kinda) common.

There is a stereotype of Pakistanis engaging in this act.

Oh I think it's a bit more than a stereotype :

''
Although British parents of Pakistani origin account for 3.4 per cent of all births nationwide, they also account for around 30 per cent of children born with recessive gene disorders.While only 15 per cent of the population in Bradford is of Pakistani origin, an estimated 55 per cent are married to their first cousins.''
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/4014743/Warning-over-births-to-first-cousin-marriages.html
Depends if she is hot. :h:
Reply 18
Original post by Legendary Quest

Haha I agree. All my family are classed as my cousin.
Reply 19
It's quite common in America, but I wouldn't recommend it.

What's the differences between yeast and a red-neck?
They are both in-bread

Latest

Trending

Trending