The Student Room Group

Can anyone give an insite into physics at bath and warwick?

Hi there, i have offers from both bath and warwick. from going around the places, bath has a much nicer feel than warwick, and performs better on league tables recently. However im somewhat deterred by the lack of optional modules available in the masters year at bath. Mostly because it doesnt feature much in the way of fundermental physics such as gauge theory and the standard model. so i was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of if these things are covered at all at bath and just a general idea of the focus of the course.
thanks
Ha. I was going to mention the lack of options at Bath, but it seems you did your homework. I can say the course at Warwick is quiet clearly better on that basis. Although Bath may be doing better in league tables, the entry standards for both are about the same. Do the course that suits you best.
I've been researching the same thing as I am in the same position of you.
So far I have found that Warwick is the better university in terms of overall reputation and ranking; however Bath has a few points in its favour. The placements year a Bath seems to be quite useful in terms of increasing job opportunities although this point is also countered by the fact that Warwick has a greater reputation and is especially good for getting into IB.
The course at Warwick provides many optional topics which can help provide a more rounded education although I'm not sure if Bath provides these options too. I think instead of providing options to study they focus more on the placements.

On a side note it's also worth considering the quality of life at both of these Universities as Bath is in a small town whereas Warwick isn't even in a town.

It's hard to decide which Uni is better.
Reply 3
Have you got any idea if bath covers the optional modules within its larger ones. i notice there i less modules takes per semester and i figured maybe thats because the modules are bigger?
No idea how their modules work but I think it's possible to find out on their website. Could you share some on your thoughts on the two universities?
Reply 5
My feeling is warwick is better historically, and has a better reputation. It's a bigger place that was designed to be good when it was built in the 60s. Bath is smaller, nicer as a place. But it's not as big so has less physics. It's an engineering focus as opposed to Warwicks business focus. But this is just feeling.
Warwick is incredibly good for Maths; so its' Physics department must not be too bad. I'd go Warwick if it's an option, as the main reason many people don't is the costs.
Reply 7
Another thing i have come to understand about warwick is it has a far more business like orientation. can anyone give some thoughts on that?
Reply 8
Original post by the cob
Hi there, i have offers from both bath and warwick. from going around the places, bath has a much nicer feel than warwick, and performs better on league tables recently. However im somewhat deterred by the lack of optional modules available in the masters year at bath. Mostly because it doesnt feature much in the way of fundermental physics such as gauge theory and the standard model. so i was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of if these things are covered at all at bath and just a general idea of the focus of the course.
thanks

Im looking to do physics at bath, and since you have an offer, do you mind sharing what you got at AS and gcse?
Original post by Tmr77
Im looking to do physics at bath, and since you have an offer, do you mind sharing what you got at AS and gcse?

AAAB Maths physics chem econ
GCSE 6A* 3A

I think bath went down quite a few ranks this year
Original post by the cob
Have you got any idea if bath covers the optional modules within its larger ones. i notice there i less modules takes per semester and i figured maybe thats because the modules are bigger?

For second year, the core modules at Bath cover the Warwick core (75/120 credits) plus some Condensed Matter Physics which isn't covered until third year (15 more credits), some Astronomy and nuclear physics (worth about 15 at Warwick), and programming (7.5). So I'd say they're (edit) roughly similar in breadth, although I do think Warwick's options are better for catering your degree to whatever your interests may be, especially in fourth year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I am about to graduate from Bath so I think I may be able to give some insight into Bath's side of things.

The first two years of the course are very much core module based, covering essential maths, quantum, electromagnetism, thermodynamics mechanics, condensed matter physics and of course labs and some computational physics. However, I really don't think this will vary much from university to university as the core of most degrees is set by the Institute of Physics.

In your third year, you are given quite a few options for modules, and all I can say here is, look and try and guess whether they will be of interest. I thought I was going to take a certain combination before coming to uni, but after studying for a few years, interests changed and I ended up choosing modules which were the 'polar opposite' (at least in my mind) of my original intentions.

I can say for a certainty, that there are some really good lecturers here at Bath, and some really quite boring ones, but I'd guess that's the same everywhere. Facilities are good, campus is constantly expanding. Library is often busy, but in terms of resources, you'll find what you need easily. Travel in Bath is fine too, can walk most places if your active, or get either of the two bus passes...

If I were to give any course related advice.... Don't be too concerned with the modules you will take in your first three years at uni, as I imagine whatever course you take will have been accredited by the IoP, so in terms of content, they will be relatively similar, and won't have too much impact on you going forward.

However, I can say with certainty that Bath has great opportunities for students who wish to go on placements during their third or fourth year. A lot of support is provided by the staff in the department, and usually there are quite a large number of students who pursue this. So if your considering a year industry placement during your third year to get some relevant work experience, and also have a good year out, I can say for certain that Bath is a good choice in that regard.

Another thing to think about is whether you intend to do the Master's or bachelors degree. If you intend on doing a Bachelor's, then this won't concern you. However, if you are planning on doing the Master's, then a large portion of your degree will be made up by your final year research project. And again, it is hard to know whether your interests will remain the same in 4 years from now, especially after having studied the subject to a substantially higher level, but it is something you should be aware of. For instance, if you perform the Master's research project at the university (as opposed to performing research as part is of an industry placement), then your project will most likely fall within the 'research interests' of the physics department.

For example, here at Bath, the main research interests are Photonics and photonics crystal fibers, Condensed matter physics (quite theoretical and usually computational), nanoscience, planetary and oceanic science, and a newly opened centre for astrophysics. I cannot say what Warwick research interests are, however, if you are doing the Master's, it's worth looking at.

Similarly, the final year modules at Bath (if doing the 4 year course), are linked to the research interests of the department, so there are units in Photonics, Nanoscience, Mathematical Physics, Quantum Theory and a problem solving unit. Maybe, this would or would not be of interest.

Ultimately, unless you are doing a Master's, I wouldn't get too hung up on the specifics of the course. And even if your doing a Master's, unless you really see yourself pursuing a career in scientific research, I can't say for certainty whether your choice of research project will have any real implications on your future.

If I could give one piece of advice alone, it would be to look at the locations of where you are applying. Assess whether you will be happy living there for 3 or more years.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending