The Student Room Group

Why do second years of Sixth form complain so much ?

I've noticed 1st years don't mind the sixth form etc, but the second years seem to find everything wrong with it.

Just wondered if anyone else noticed this
Original post by im.a.witch
I've noticed 1st years don't mind the sixth form etc, but the second years seem to find everything wrong with it.

I thought it was the complete opposite. Year 12 was full of people who didn't have to work very hard to get good GCSE results and then got a horrible shock when they realise that they suddenly have to start working, whereas in Year 13 everyone was already used to the workload and just got on with things.
A2 is very stressful - you've got UCAS applications or apprenticeships (usually), A2 exams are harder than AS (but you usually get smarter or know how to deal with A-levels better) and it's over a short time period, it happens so quickly and you start to doubt meeting your offer / what uni is like etc. :cry2:
Reply 3
Original post by Plagioclase
I thought it was the complete opposite. Year 12 was full of people who didn't have to work very hard to get good GCSE results and then got a horrible shock when they realise that they suddenly have to start working, whereas in Year 13 everyone was already used to the workload and just got on with things.

This...the results in Year 12 in my school were shocking for science and maths, people with like 6A*s at GCSE could go down to 4Us...then those that stayed in for Year 13 tended to work harder and got better grades in the end.
Also, in Year 13, at my school at least, everyone has their offers already and about half our year has unconditionals from america so don't actually need to do to great in their a levels but generally, with it being the last year, people just want to be done with school and all the stress that comes with A Levels/IB
Reply 5

Year 12 - YAY I AM FINALLY IN SIXTH FORM! HENCEFORTH I SHALL ENJOY MY LIFE TO THE FULLEST
Year 13 - oh my god what did i spend the whole of last year doing

Year 13 is when you are hit in the face with reality. A few smart year 12s figure out they have to work extra hard. The rest, like me, are stuck doing resits the next year.

I mean, its hard not to complain when you can feel your soul getting sucked out of your body every day thanks to this majestic workload

We have seen things... O_O
Reply 7
Original post by Laurasaur
We have seen things... O_O

What do you mean ? :smile:
A2 year is stressful on many fronts.

Not only is the workload higher and you have the uncertainty about meeting offers etc but you have a significant life change ahead of you, ie the days of living at home and your same friends that you've had for years being around are about to go.

Sometimes now I look back with nostalgia at what a great year my A2 year was and how many good things happened but that's forgetting the anxiety that hung over me all that time. And also I was battling off feeling really upset about leaving people behind.

I remember having the party on A level results day and feeling really weird. I'd got good results and the next day after the party my family couldn't understand why I seemed so subdued. But it was then that it finally hit me that I had a lot of good friends and although we'd try to keep in touch etc, the truth was our lives would be heading in different directions and it was the end of this era. At that party I was in very reflective melancholy mood and I couldn't get in the spirit of some of the others who were just getting wasted and going wooooo no more school/college, we're gonna go Magaluf in a couple of weeks woooo

Quick Reply

Latest