The Student Room Group

Eddie Izzard talks to you about the EU Referendum! Monday 23rd May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Aj12
Yes :colondollar:

But TSR is a private organisation providing a free service that you are under no obligation to use or support. If it wishes to promote a particular view point ( which it does constantly on a variety of issues) then it is perfectly entitled to do that. You are just as free to stop using the service. TSR has done quite a few things over the years that its members haven't liked, and have quite vehemently opposed. It has absolutely no obligation to neutrality or to be representative of what its users desire. Naturally it'd be wise to listen to the general feel of the user base, but there is certainly no obligation at all there.

Poll of the user base
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4043867

Remain : 1,959 72.2%
Leave : 754 27.8%
Total : 2,713

(But I do think it would be right to have a "Leave" spokesperson on TSR too.}
How much of a dubious europhilic spin are you going to put on your answers rather than giving straight and honest answers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
What impact will leaving the EU Referendum have going on Holidays within Europe?
Original post by jneill
It won't be Cameron negotiating anything significant after the referendum. He did his negotiating already.

He'll be thinking about timing his resignation no matter what the outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why will he be resigning?
Reply 64
Original post by Queen Cersei

Eddie is visiting Aston University on Monday and he will be logging on to TSR to chat with the community ahead of the EU referendum (time TBC).

Eddie Izzard strongly believes that Britain should fight for our right to remain in Europe.

On 23 May, Eddie will launch Stand Up For Europe, his campaign to encourage people of all ages across the UK to register and vote IN.

You are invited to put your questions to Eddie around voting and the EU referendum.

Don't miss out, post below to be involved :smile: (Even if you don't think you're going to vote in the referendum, see if Eddie can persuade you!)

An an international prospective student for UK universities who is generally oblivious to British politics, I would like to know how the Brexit would affect the ease with which international students (non-EU) can apply to UK universities.
Reply 65
Original post by BlossomSerena
Why will he be resigning?

Because he stated he would be stepping down for the next general election.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-must-renege-on-promise-to-step-down-before-general-election-says-senior-tory-a6872441.html
HI Eddie - huge fan!

A lot of the people that I know who want to vote Brexit are doing so due to the fear of immigration but they're more than happy to have indian families running our local restaurants and shops, polish handymen and pakistani teachers. What would you say to help them to understand that this whole "coming over here, taking our jobs" rubbish is already happening and it's in no way a bad thing? Last week I had a heated debate over why these "foreigners using our NHS" are actually making up the vast majority of medical staff in our area!

You just can't argue with some people
Original post by similarBlank
In the spirit of democracy and not being bias, which celebrity will be coming on TSR promoting the Leave campaign?

This isn't undemocratic. It's entirely down to an individual to educate themselves. Is it undemocratic that the tabloids are overwhelmingly in favour of a Brexit, to the point of spreading blatant lies? (Actually, yes, that probably is undemocratic, but I have a feeling you'll disagree...)
Reply 68
Original post by jneill
It won't be Cameron negotiating anything significant after the referendum. He did his negotiating already.

He'll be thinking about timing his resignation no matter what the outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did he? Never even noticed he'd done anything significant.
Original post by JordanL_
This isn't undemocratic. It's entirely down to an individual to educate themselves. Is it undemocratic that the tabloids are overwhelmingly in favour of a Brexit, to the point of spreading blatant lies? (Actually, yes, that probably is undemocratic, but I have a feeling you'll disagree...)

Well, that would be undemocratic (I don't disagree because, unlike most, I don't let my opinions taint, with bias, my calls for democracy), however, I could easily say it's undemocratic that the broadsheets are overwhelmingly in favour of staying in, also to the point of spreading blatant lies, as newspapers are known to do. Don't act like the Brexit campaign alone spreads lies and is biased because you're against it; every campaign in every election, referendum, or anything has sections of support that are biased to the point of making stuff up. EVERY side has this and it is a clear biased opinion to say one side does and not the other.

I'd like to add that twice the amount of newspapers and magazines that support Leave support remain. So, when it comes to newspapers and magazines, it appears there's double the amount of resources for individuals to educate themselves on the remain opinion than the leave opinion. So, I don't think you've got much to worry about concerning democracy, assuming you don't mind things being undemocratic if it's in your favour.

Newspapers and magazines that support remain:

Financial Times
Il Sole 24 Ore
The Economist
The National
Nature
New Statesman

Newspapers and magazines that support Leave:

Daily Express
Daily Mail
Morning Star, also backed a No vote in the 1975 referendum.
Reply 70
Original post by Andy98
Did he? Never even noticed he'd done anything significant.

Very drole.

Eddie is visiting Aston University on Monday and he will be logging on to TSR to chat with the community ahead of the EU referendum (time TBC).

Eddie Izzard strongly believes that Britain should fight for our right to remain in Europe.

On 23 May, Eddie will launch Stand Up For Europe, his campaign to encourage people of all ages across the UK to register and vote IN.

You are invited to put your questions to Eddie around voting and the EU referendum.

Don't miss out, post below to be involved :smile: (Even if you don't think you're going to vote in the referendum, see if Eddie can persuade you!)

Dear Eddie. Why should I care what you think. Why should I listen to the ramblings of 1 man when the entire region of the country which my forefathers came from was crushed by the EU's stupid laws.

Move on people. TSR is trying to play a populist game here. Its trying to say its un-cool to be against the EU and here is a popular comedian to show you its hip to be a singing dancing lemming.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Dear Eddie. Why should I care what you think. Why should I listen to the ramblings of 1 man when the entire region of the country which my forefathers came from was crushed by the EU's stupid laws.

Move on people. TSR is trying to play a populist game here. Its trying to say its un-cool to be against the EU and here is a popular comedian to show you its hip to be a singing dancing lemming.

"Popular"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are so many British people ignorant about the benefits of the EU?
why are so many Brits racist and islamaphobic?
are you concerned about the possibility of the ire of society simply transferring to non-white Brits when immigration is no longer a issue caused by the EU, but society still doesnt improve?
Hi Eddie,

Is either option going to solve the housing crisis and build affordable houses for us students who just want to get through life?

I'm an Econ student so don't feel the need to simplify answers!!

Thanks,
Lauren :smile:
Original post by 98Lauren98
Hi Eddie,

Is either option going to solve the housing crisis and build affordable houses for us students who just want to get through life?

I'm an Econ student so don't feel the need to simplify answers!!

Thanks,
Lauren :smile:

You mean Eddie knows econ to st least A level?! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
You mean Eddie knows econ to st least A level?! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If he's brave enough to face TSR that's all :P I trust that he knows his stuff!
The Austrian Freedom Party candidate, Norbert Hofer, has won the ordinary ballot for President of Austria and is awaiting the postal vote - see https://www.rt.com/news/344020-far-r...ria-president/

The analogue of the Austrian Freedom Party in UK politics is the BNP. There is no possibility of the Austrian Freedom Party, with its Pan German roots, wanting to leave the EU. It is important to realise that the far right, like the far left, view the EU as a ready made empire where they can inflict their ideas on the greatest number of people.

Although the election may still go against Hofer, this vote shows that the EU is on a knife edge between leftist and far right politics. The precipitating factor for Hofer's popularity is the influx of Muslims into Austria - reminiscent of the influx of Jews from the communist genocides in the USSR that precipitated Hitler's election in the 1930s.

The important question for the Remain voter is whether they are happy to be in an organisation where, perhaps, the majority in 10 years time is far Right. Would you, Eddie?
Reply 78

Eddie Izzard - my teenage hero :-)

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer questions here today.

I am really struggling to make a decision; what are the key factors that have influenced your viewpoint, and have you wavered at all?

Thanks
Reply 79
Dear Mr. Izzard, why do you think there is so much anti-European sentiment on the island?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending