The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Garfield96
Hiya, just a couple of days ago i found a kids oyster card outside a store and put it in my pocket, with the intention to return it. Several hours later i went on the bus, I had 2 oyster cards which were mine and a contactless card, however I accidently swiped with the kids card forgetting about it. I put the card in my back pocket so it doesnt get in with my other cards. A ticket inspector came on the bus after several stops and I showed him my oyster card which didint work, I then showed him the other and a contactless card, all which didint work. In the heat of the moment I forgot about the kids card as I was dealing with his questions. I complied and gave him all my details, soon after he checked my pockets and took the card. I tried to explain myself however He did not allow me to explain myself and said that a letter will be sent to my house. I asked him a few questions, all with the response of "I dont know".

I was reading online that 18+ get sent to court as I am 20 years old. Do you think that It will be a fine or a court case? As it was a genuine mistake and I did have oyster cards which all had money and my contactless. If you could reply ASAP, much would be appreciated.

Hello, you will have to wait from the Tfl letter and then try to call them first, see if you can talk with someone over the phone and explain them what happened. If not, e-mail them (you will have the e-mail adress on the letter). They are able to check the oyster history, so i suppose if it was a mistake and you only use it once....anyway, it all depends on them. Be very apologetic on the e-mail (this is what i've done). Good luck!!
Original post by lory 08
Hello, you will have to wait from the Tfl letter and then try to call them first, see if you can talk with someone over the phone and explain them what happened. If not, e-mail them (you will have the e-mail adress on the letter). They are able to check the oyster history, so i suppose if it was a mistake and you only use it once....anyway, it all depends on them. Be very apologetic on the e-mail (this is what i've done). Good luck!!

Is it possible to phone them and ask to deal this situation outside or court and pay a fine without a criminal record.
Original post by Gozdey
If you receive a letter asking you for more information, there will be a procecutors contact information, contact the person and ask how you can settle the case outside court. This way you will not have to go to court and no criminal records will be issued, but you will have to pay £250.

Hiya, did this happen to you? And what did you say on the phone?
A guy on my course did something similar and got caught and was fined, ordered to go to court and threatened with a criminal license. He went to caught, his dad basically said 'NOPE'. In the end guy didn't even need to pay the fine.

Either be very apologetic or bring the right people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Is it possible to phone them and ask to deal this situation outside or court and pay a fine without a criminal record.

I had to pay £ 383 to settle outside of court. 😥😣
Anything better than criminal record!!
Original post by lory 08
I had to pay £ 383 to settle outside of court. 😥😣
Anything better than criminal record!!

I want to appeal, but I dont want to go through the hassle of court, So i was wondering If i can phone them, say that im not guilty but want to pay a fine so I dont get the criminal record.
Original post by Moonstruck16
A guy on my course did something similar and got caught and was fined, ordered to go to court and threatened with a criminal license. He went to caught, his dad basically said 'NOPE'. In the end guy didn't even need to pay the fine.

Either be very apologetic or bring the right people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But im appealing, but Dont want to go court, so if i say im appealing but I dont want to go court, so is it possible to settle it out of court.
Reply 87
I want to appeal, but I dont want to go through the hassle of court, So i was wondering If i can phone them, say that im not guilty but want to pay a fine so I dont get the criminal record.

You just have to call them and ask over the phone. It all depends on the case.
If an inspector took your oyster card they are confiscating it as it violates their rules that you must follow. They do not have to give it back as your oyster card is owned by TFL your lucky if your card doesn't get blocked.
Reply 89
Original post by lory 08
You just have to call them and ask over the phone. It all depends on the case.

Hi Lory,

I am in the same situation right now, I am so sorry and embarrased.
How old were you and what did you write or say to them.
I am currently studying law and cannot afford to have a criminal record.
please help
He wont go to jail, although using someone elses card is a lot more serious than not having a ticket.

Latest

Trending

Trending