The Student Room Group

National 5 Modern Studies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alana_p
Last year i went into n5 knowing very little, never answered any question fully and still got an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, hopefully I can do the same :P
The source questions always ask you should base your answer on each 3 sources?

Say for example, I miss out source 2 as I can't find any information from there, do I get marked down for that?
Original post by Lewis H01
The source questions always ask you should base your answer on each 3 sources?

Say for example, I miss out source 2 as I can't find any information from there, do I get marked down for that?

Yeah you do, my teacher told us that. I think if its a 10 mark question you can get a maximum of 8 marks if you dont use all the sources
Reply 103
Original post by alx2000
I've just been going through some model paper questions and came across these:

Why people in the world power you have studied many criticise the limitations put on their political rights

The powers of the First Minister

Why people believe a majority government works well and why people believe it does not work well.

I haven't been taught any of these?!

Would someone please be able to help me out?

Powers of first minister: chooses their cabinet I.e Nicola sturgeon appointed John swinny as Secretary for education. Also answers questions at FMQT.

My teacher said its very unlikely to b asked about majority governments but you could talk about how some people think it is too much power with one party and it can be abused. Some people think it isn't very representative as only one party is in power. It makes decision making easier as there won't be many disagreements that you would have in a coalition.

Criticising gov for limitations: could mention prisoners on death row-inhumane, can't vote, lethal injection secrecy act in Georgia makes it so only the state knows the drugs used to execute prisoners-some say this is unconstitutional. Could mention prisoners at Guantanamo bay and how the combatant status review tribunals was criticised for not allowing detainees there to present witnesses and for not giving the detainees more constitutional protection. Could mention general prisoners and how felony disenfranchisement prevents people who have a serious offences from voting. In Kentucky ex offenders have to reapply to vote.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ethan100
Yeah you do, my teacher told us that. I think if its a 10 mark question you can get a maximum of 8 marks if you dont use all the sources

That's quite harsh what do you think? So If you can't find information from that source you loose 2 marks.
Original post by Lewis H01
That's quite harsh what do you think? So If you can't find information from that source you loose 2 marks.

That's correct, I'm not sure if it's exactly 2 marks (I do think that's the minimum you could lose though) but if you don't use all the sources the maximum marks you can get for that question decreases.

Yeah It's pretty harsh, you need to find something that works on all sources :frown:
Original post by Puppo
Powers of first minister: chooses their cabinet I.e Nicola sturgeon appointed John swinny as Secretary for education. Also answers questions at FMQT.

My teacher said its very unlikely to b asked about majority governments but you could talk about how some people think it is too much power with one party and it can be abused. Some people think it isn't very representative as only one party is in power. It makes decision making easier as there won't be many disagreements that you would have in a coalition.

Criticising gov for limitations: could mention prisoners on death row-inhumane, can't vote, lethal injection secrecy act in Georgia makes it so only the state knows the drugs used to execute prisoners-some say this is unconstitutional. Could mention prisoners at Guantanamo bay and how the combatant status review tribunals was criticised for not allowing detainees there to present witnesses and for not giving the detainees more constitutional protection. Could mention general prisoners and how felony disenfranchisement prevents people who have a serious offences from voting. In Kentucky ex offenders have to reapply to vote.

Thanks so much!!!
Can someone please explain the USA election system ?

Do we need to know that... haha I'm so unprepared
Hey everyone!

Here's some last minute notes on Democracy in the UK and The USA as a World Power. Hope they're of some use! Good luck with the exam tomorrow.

I don't think we need to know that...

Could anyone give me source questions for the USA unit?
Off topic question:

When do you guys go back to school after your study leave?
Reply 112
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
Hey everyone!

Here's some last minute notes on Democracy in the UK and The USA as a World Power. Hope they're of some use! Good luck with the exam tomorrow.

Wow that's really helpful, thanks! Best of luck to you too
Reply 113
Original post by A+Hunter
Off topic question:

I go back on the 6th of June but initially it was said we were going back tomorrow (I think they forgot exams are still on til the 3rd of June haha) wbu?
Can someone please explain to me how to split up a process into paragraphs.

For example if the question was about How the children's Hearing system works, how would I write it in paragraphs with a Point, Explanation and example ?

Well say if it's 6 marks write 2 paragraphs with a point,explaination and example
Off topic question:

6th june
I have a question : Democracy in the UK

Once someone is elected by the present/past PM to have a seat in the Houses of Lords, are they able to leave or do they have that seat until they die ?
I have a question : Democracy in the UK

Once someone is elected by the present/past PM to have a seat in the Houses of Lords, are they able to leave or do they have that seat until they die ?

Until they die, but they do not get the seat handed on to any other family member due to new policies restricting the admission of members to the Lords.
Off topic question:

Everyone goes back on the 6th of June.
Good luck for the Modern Studies exam guys :biggrin:
Anyone could predict the KU questions for the following topic?

Democracy in scotland
Crime and Law
World power USA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending