The Student Room Group

Can't seem to get reference letter

So I have a conditional offer from Warwick, the condition being I provide a satisfactory work reference in the next week or so.

But here's the thing. I've been asking my former boss for a reference letter for the past three months and it has not arrived till today. What should I do? I can't meet my offer if I don't get this reference letter. I don't want to have to turn down Warwick just because of this!!
Is this for a undergraduate course?
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Is this for a undergraduate course?

Postgraduate.
Reply 3
Original post by blackswan91
Postgraduate.

Have you chased it up?

If so ask their manager/director or HR department for assistance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I have a conditional offer from Warwick, the condition being I provide a satisfactory work reference in the next week or so.

But here's the thing. I've been asking my former boss for a reference letter for the past three months and it has not arrived till today. What should I do? I can't meet my offer if I don't get this reference letter. I don't want to have to turn down Warwick just because of this!!

Are you saying the reference letter arrived today? in which case just send it.

Alternatively you are saying you still have have no reference letter?

You need to determine whether or not you cna get one from your old boss or it is a dead end. If you cnat get one from there , then consider the options of where else you could get one from.

Contact Warwick on the phone and speak to a named person, who you cna use as your point of contact. Explain to them you are having difficulty getting hold of the reference, that you would still like to go there and then offer them alternatives. delayed references are not uncommon, but you have had 3 months to sort this out.

Ask them if you can provie soemthing from HR to confirm your attendance at the job and a basic character reference from elsewhere? Work out a compromise.
Make it easy on your employer to write, and make it difficult to ignore.

Employers hate writing performance reviews. So much so that in the 90's, the brilliant idea was conceived to make the employees write them, and then the managers just sort of grade them. While onerous for the employee (and I think rather outside the proper division of responsibilities), it does help make sure the thing actually gets done.

So for the first part of it, making it easier to write, come up with some bullet points which are completely fair about your professional performance while working there, the good and the bad. Do not write it into an essay or anything that might make it look like you're writing your own reference. Just compile a short list of things that might make it easier for the employer to write.

For the second part, drive over to receive the reference in person. People work best under deadlines, regardless of what they say. Ask what day you can come for a quick 15 minute meeting to pick up your reference, and receive any advice for your next steps. The manager will then feel like a mentor, and much more likely to move things along.

Just get it done. Don't let one person stand in the way of your future.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Have you chased it up?

If so ask their manager/director or HR department for assistance. /QUOTE]

Yes to the point where it's embarassing for both of us
Original post by jneill
Have you chased it up?

He might not wish to provide one.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
He might not wish to provide one.

So what are my options? Do I fake a note?
I explained how you should approach it in my previous post. Do not just rely on e-mails, persevere and find out what the issue is. You cannot force him to provide a personal reference. If he won't, then you can't. Talk to admissions and work out with them what they would find acceptable and that you can provide.
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Have you chased it up?

What does Warwick actually require. If it's just confirmation you worked there draft the letter yourself and ask your manager to send it.

Something like:
DATE
STRICTLY PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL
NAME
ADDRESS
ADDRESS

Dear NAME
EMPLOYMENT REFERENCE FOR STAFF NAME
Thank you for your recent letter concerning STAFF NAME. I am pleased to confirm details of employment with us as below:
Job Title: ROLE
Start Date: DATE
Leaving Date: DATE
We have no reason to doubt their honesty or integrity. Please note it is our policy to only provide this basic information for employment referencepurposes. In accordance with COMPANY's normal practice this reference is given in good faith and inconfidence, without legal liability on behalf of the author or COMPANY.
Yours sincerely
NAME
JOB TITLE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending