The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mock Results

Economics
Unit 2 - A
Unit 3 - C
Unit 4 - C (I honestly can't remember though as I don't think we got an actual grade and I had this mock in March)

English Literature
Unseen - A
Poetry - A*
Prose - A*
Shakespeare - A

History
Unit 3 - A

Looks like I need to do a lot of work on Economics . . . !

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry for the lack of updates. I've had three exams so far, and I'm now on half term!

My first exam was the English Literature Unseen paper, which was always going to be my worst by far. And it was. The first half went okay but my second essay had no structure whatsoever and was generally just pretty atrocious. Oh well.

My second exam was Economics, which went surprisingly well (we hope), although I forgot to mention an important concept which I really should have. My timing was a lot better than it was last year, and I felt more confident. Economics really comes together at A2, so if you're doing AS and struggling, don't give up!

My third exam was English Literature, the Drama paper this time. The first bit was fine, although I spent too long on the first section and then didn't have as much time as I would have liked for the second. We had the choice of doing a passage question or a whole text question, but 99% of the time we do the passage as it's easier. However, the passage was from a bit of the play I hadn't really revised because it was so irrelevant, so I opted for the reasonably nice whole text question. Let's see how that goes but I would love an A* on that paper (although it's highly unlikely)!
The plan for today is to finish my notes on Elizabeth I's foreign policy, Volume III of Emma, and then to do one or two practice History essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had lunch and have now finished all of my Tudor notes (apart from the Rebellions). Now to do those and then English, then some past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shame you didnt get into oxford fam you would have been a real asset
Original post by Number Nine
shame you didnt get into oxford fam you would have been a real asset

Aaw, thank you. That's really kind of you! :top:

If all goes well, I might do a MSt there (if I get in) because I'm interested in the evolution of logographic scripts (not sure if this is a viable thing to study, though, we shall see) and the Oriental Institute would probably be one of the only places where you could combine Egyptology and Chinese. My other interest is Ramesside history, anyway, so that would be fine.

I'm still absolutely gutted about not getting in, I wish I had submitted a different essay because one of the ones I handed in was terrible . . . I thought about reapplying but I don't want a gap year, or the stress and possibility of rejection (again). :frown:

Sorry for all of that! Where are you going and what will you be studying? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm Maths at imperial firm or warwick insurance

Masters sounds like a good plan, but all of this technical stuff is above my head! Reapplying does seem risky but you can never tell which path you would be better of down. I'm sure you'll enjoy what you do no matter where you do it as you seem enthusiastic enough to care solely about the content and not the surroundings
I'm Maths at imperial firm or warwick insurance

Masters sounds like a good plan, but all of this technical stuff is above my head! Reapplying does seem risky but you can never tell which path you would be better of down. I'm sure you'll enjoy what you do no matter where you do it as you seem enthusiastic enough to care solely about the content and not the surroundings

Wow, they're both great universities, and from what I've seen, Imperial looks amazing (although I'm not sciencey so wouldn't know). What's your offer?

Yeah, I went into a bit of a splurge with the technical stuff there! Sorry about that. And as the course at Oxford takes one person in some years, I think it's far too risky to reapply when I have a great course at Liverpool. Not too sure how I'd cope with the stress at Oxford, either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A*A*A*.. Not looking forward to the physics A* (my school's never gotten one before either). It's in a nice part of London it's just a scary prospect so much can go wrong I suppose

Absolutely nothing wrong with the technicals it's just I have no clue haha! That's insane that they only take so little.. Egyptology seems to be riskier everyday now with what's happening in Egypt sadly

Oxbridge stress does seem really bad for them as well
A*A*A*.. Not looking forward to the physics A* (my school's never gotten one before either). It's in a nice part of London it's just a scary prospect so much can go wrong I suppose

Absolutely nothing wrong with the technicals it's just I have no clue haha! That's insane that they only take so little.. Egyptology seems to be riskier everyday now with what's happening in Egypt sadly

Oxbridge stress does seem really bad for them as well

Ah. Well, you can definitely be the first! :biggrin: Yeah, I suppose Egyptology is a risky subject to study but it's exciting and so interesting as well, and can surprisingly lead to a variety of jobs. Any idea what you want to do?
Can always hope! It's just sad because there's so much left to discover in the pyramids, I've read numerous short statements such as they're waiting for better radar technology so they can see further inside the pyramids and that they can't get funding for the little rovers they send in etc, and that it's sometimes too dangerous to send students over there as well. If only we had rovers when we colonised Egypt ayy
There's always adjustment if you do tons better or you could do a masters at Oxbridge. :smile:

You seem so organised and motivated haha! I'd be too embarrassed to keep a log like this online, in case I didn't stick to it! Luckily I've been sticking to my own revision schedule. Your subjects (bar Economics) are what I was planning to do in like Year 10 and then I did a complete 180, oops. :tongue:

Good luck for your exams, can't wait until you can update this thread with your results and reap the rewards of your hard work! :biggrin:
Can always hope! It's just sad because there's so much left to discover in the pyramids, I've read numerous short statements such as they're waiting for better radar technology so they can see further inside the pyramids and that they can't get funding for the little rovers they send in etc, and that it's sometimes too dangerous to send students over there as well. If only we had rovers when we colonised Egypt ayy

Yeah, exactly! There are even some estimates which say we've only discovered 10% of the remains of Ancient Egypt!
Original post by sophiebookley
There's always adjustment if you do tons better or you could do a masters at Oxbridge. :smile:

You seem so organised and motivated haha! I'd be too embarrassed to keep a log like this online, in case I didn't stick to it! Luckily I've been sticking to my own revision schedule. Your subjects (bar Economics) are what I was planning to do in like Year 10 and then I did a complete 180, oops. :tongue:

Good luck for your exams, can't wait until you can update this thread with your results and reap the rewards of your hard work! :biggrin:

Sadly, I can't really go through adjustment as the only place that offers my course with higher entry requirements is Oxford (or Cambridge)! Sigh . . . And I must have deceived you all then, because I'm actually rather lazy and a massive procrastinator . . . What subjects do you do?
Oh I see, I guess that's the con of doing a unique degree, but it sounds super interesting. :biggrin:

I do Maths, Computing and Chemistry. Wish I'd taken some type of English instead of Chemistry but... oh well. :')
Original post by sophiebookley
Oh I see, I guess that's the con of doing a unique degree, but it sounds super interesting. :biggrin:

I do Maths, Computing and Chemistry. Wish I'd taken some type of English instead of Chemistry but... oh well. :':wink:

Yes, I hope its interestingness will make me employable . . . And nice subjects! English is tough, but Chemistry does sound utterly horrendous. If I had a time machine I would have liked to have done Computing or Physics. Computing sounds so fun!
It is! It's not too hard either. I do OCR and it's one of those subjects where it's pretty easy enough to get A/B/C in AS. At A2 it's more precise, so you do have to put the effort in, but I love it! :biggrin:

English is tough, but also sounds interesting. :biggrin:
Hello there, TSRians. It is I. I finished my History A-Level today, with the A2 exam on the Tudors. I don't think I'll get an A* as I don't think my coursework was good enough, but I'd like an A. The source question was very reasonable and I was very glad that I tackled this first as it's worth more marks (40 compared to the 30 mark essay question). My essay was a little descriptive at times but I think I covered all of the main points. We shall see!

Posted from TSR Mobile
English Literature is done and dusted!

It's a strange feeling as I've been doing English for 14 years, longer than any other subject.

I do CIE, not sure about anyone else, but I found the questions all right but a little frustrating. The poetry one limited you to 5 poems in the selection of 43, but I was able to cross reference with another 3 or so. The prose one was okay again, but it specifically asked you to talk about the structure of the book, which was, in my case, Emma by Jane Austen. I think I tackled it in a decent way but I didn't have too many language points because of the awkwardness of the question.

Anyway, now it's time for Economics, officially my worst subject. Well, after I cook some breakfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today was my worst exam so far (Economics Unit 3) and I'm feeling quite low. I panicked and my brain just felt overloaded with information, so I definitely didn't perform at my best. I kept blanking, too, which didn't help. I'm really disappointed in myself. I made the mistake of revising every topic rather than a select few really intensively. Ugh. I'm feeling pretty miserable so I'm not going to go into much more detail. Night all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending