The Student Room Group

First date help!

I'm 16 and I will be going on my first date in two weeks at the mall. I'm so nervous, and I have no clue what to do, I'm scared it will be awkward! I don't want us to get bored and end the date early, but I honestly have no idea of what we are going to do there.

Also, whenever I even think about him while eating, I suddenly lose all my appetite and feel sick (that sounds horrible I know) and I don't know how to combat that if we were to eat on our date which will be most likely. I don't want to seem rude by not eating :frown:

If anyone has any tips for either issue I'd be so grateful, thank you!
My first and foremost advice - just relax, be natural and try not to change yourself to suit him.

Know that he is likely to be just as nervous and just as eager to be liked as you are, so you have nothing to worry about. Remember to ask questions and show genuine interest, but also make sure you listen and answer honestly to the questions he asks you. Have a few "spare topics" on the back of your mind to go to if the conversation ends up in a dead end. However, as long as you communicate effectively and show genuine desire to know each other, it should go relatively smoothly.

If you have a fear or discomfort in regards to eating, express the desire to do something else - bowling, easy stroll, drinks at a bar or a restaurant or something of that sort. Make sure to do things you enjoy. Avoid the movies - it's a classic trap, since you're supposed to be talking and getting to know each other - something you can't do in a cinema.

Other then that, just do your best whilst being true to yourself and all will be well.
Reply 2
Original post by Withengar
My first and foremost advice - just relax, be natural and try not to change yourself to suit him.

Know that he is likely to be just as nervous and just as eager to be liked as you are, so you have nothing to worry about. Remember to ask questions and show genuine interest, but also make sure you listen and answer honestly to the questions he asks you. Have a few "spare topics" on the back of your mind to go to if the conversation ends up in a dead end. However, as long as you communicate effectively and show genuine desire to know each other, it should go relatively smoothly.

If you have a fear or discomfort in regards to eating, express the desire to do something else - bowling, easy stroll, drinks at a bar or a restaurant or something of that sort. Make sure to do things you enjoy. Avoid the movies - it's a classic trap, since you're supposed to be talking and getting to know each other - something you can't do in a cinema.

Other then that, just do your best whilst being true to yourself and all will be well.

Best advice for a first date! :biggrin: Good Luck OP!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 16 and I will be going on my first date in two weeks at the mall. I'm so nervous, and I have no clue what to do, I'm scared it will be awkward! I don't want us to get bored and end the date early, but I honestly have no idea of what we are going to do there.

Also, whenever I even think about him while eating, I suddenly lose all my appetite and feel sick (that sounds horrible I know) and I don't know how to combat that if we were to eat on our date which will be most likely. I don't want to seem rude by not eating :frown:

If anyone has any tips for either issue I'd be so grateful, thank you!

Don't think.
Just be yourself.
Reply 4
I agree with the above advice. Try to have a list of topics or questions to talk about before you go and maybe try to think of things you could do together there; like maybe there is a park nearby you could chill at after you walk around the mall? Maybe a music store you could visit which could prompt a conversation about music tastes, etc.

The eating thing is fairly common, it's your nerves causing you to lose your appetite. If he suggests going some place to eat just say "I'm not that hungry actually but if you are we can totally do that" and if he says he is, just order a small side of like fries or something you can pick at slowly.

Try to not take it too seriously, you're only young and will probably go on many more dates in the future! If this one doesn't go well, it's not the end of the world! :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending