The Student Room Group

Thinking of going vegan. Advice?

So I'm a vegetarian and I've been really interested in veganism. After my final exam next week I'm going to try going vegan but I'm nervous I'm going to have a mental breakdown because I love cake from Tescos way too much and I won't be able to have it. And since it's my birthday the week after, I'm a bit nervous because my parents will most probably get non vegan food.

So because I'm starting out I'm considering going vegan only on the weekends and then building my way up. So if there are any vegans are there, any helpful advice?

NOTE- I'M ONLY DOING THIS FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. IT'S NOT A LONG TERM THING.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am vegetarian
Vegan is too much for me
Tbh Veganism is morally superior to all other lifestyle options that include meat and meat eating products. You should maybe try and find substitutes to the cakes you love and try and find other sweet vegan snacks you might like. If you relapse think of the animal products used and how animals were raped in order to satisfy your desire for a cake.
I was actually reading up that vegans need to take iron and B12 supplements.. I'm not thinking of doing it long term. I just want to do it for a month or something.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Tbh Veganism is morally superior to all other lifestyle options that include meat and meat eating products. You should maybe try and find substitutes to the cakes you love and try and find other sweet vegan snacks you might like. If you relapse think of the animal products used and how animals were raped in order to satisfy your desire for a cake.

I've found vegan cake shops in London so I'm saved.
If you like certain foods that you wouldn't be able to have if you became vegan, why do it? Eat the food you enjoy and, especially if it's your birthday, just eat and drink what you like. Why take away something you enjoy in life when you don't have to? Food shouldn't have to make you stressed, life's too short for stuff like that
As long as you don't have the intrinsic need to tell every person you're a vegan.
Quorn?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So I'm a vegetarian and I've been really interested in veganism. After my final exam next week I'm going to try going vegan but I'm nervous I'm going to have a mental breakdown because I love cake from Tescos way too much and I won't be able to have it. And since it's my birthday the week after, I'm a bit nervous because my parents will most probably get non vegan food.

So because I'm starting out I'm considering going vegan only on the weekends and then building my way up. So if there are any vegans are there, any helpful advice?

I made my own vegan birthday cake for my birthday bc boss :hoppy: however I eat mostly a plant-based diet and I recommend to not to get stressed about eating non-vegan food, alright? It's alright to slip up sometimes bc that's the whole point of this beautiful journey. Do as much research on vegan food you can, you'll be surprised at the results. I also, recommend a lot of fruit, it's Summer so you should have a lot around you (I hope). Hmm what else...Oh you should definitely have some rice or pasta for loads of meals bc amazing and....CARB THE **** UP GIRL! (If you understand the reference :five:)
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I made my own vegan birthday cake for my birthday bc boss :hoppy: however I eat mostly a plant-based diet and I recommend to not to get stressed about eating non-vegan food, alright? It's alright to slip up sometimes bc that's the whole point of this beautiful journey. Do as much research on vegan food you can, you'll be surprised at the results. I also, recommend a lot of fruit, it's Summer so you should have a lot around you (I hope). Hmm what else...Oh you should definitely have some rice or pasta for loads of meals bc amazing and....CARB THE **** UP GIRL! (If you understand the reference :five:)

Ahhh what did you make?
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
If you like certain foods that you wouldn't be able to have if you became vegan, why do it? Eat the food you enjoy and, especially if it's your birthday, just eat and drink what you like. Why take away something you enjoy in life when you don't have to? Food shouldn't have to make you stressed, life's too short for stuff like that

I'm only trying veganism for a short time. I doubt I could survive on it long term but I just want to see the effects.
Reply 11
I was actually reading up that vegans need to take iron and B12 supplements.. I'm not thinking of doing it long term. I just want to do it for a month or something.

You don't need to take vitamin b12 is you find foods which you can find it in, some Chinese cabbage but just google it, it's hard but available. Also iron is widely available to vegans in a good diet, maybe before you turn vegan just substitute in vegan alternatives like soya or rice milk and find shops in your area which offer these alternatives.
It's not too bad. I ate chicken from KFC and the next day I turned veggie :tongue:
Ahhh what did you make?

Wdym? My birthday cake? It was a mixture between carrot cake and something else bc it wasn't fully carrot ya know. I love chocolate cake but I always burn it :cry:
Original post by shawn_o1
Quorn?

Most quorn contains egg/ dairy products so it's not vegan :smile:

Original post by Mrs.Grey
Wdym? My birthday cake? It was a mixture between carrot cake and something else bc it wasn't fully carrot ya know. I love chocolate cake but I always burn it :cry:

I know a cupcake shop which sells vegan cakes and eclairs.
Asked for advice. Not immature comments.

NOTE- I'M ONLY DOING THIS FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. IT'S NOT A LONG TERM THING.

Oh no, Red velvet cake :frown:
Erm with my family, I only ate meat when we ate in restaurants so it wasn't too hard to give up. I do miss chicken sometimes but honestly I love quorn so much.

Quick Reply

Latest