The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tcameron
I did tectonics 25 marker but the 7 marker was awkward and weather and climate 40 marker, I feel I may have just got into level 4 or high level 3 but that may not be enough for an A* in this paper maybe

What did you write about for the essay? I can't find anyone else who did this essay and I'm not sure I answered it correctly:/
Reply 2421
Original post by rubenpaulo
What did you write about the 40 marker? The question was quite open and had a lot to write abou

I wrote about Mumbai, Curitiba, Guangzhou (China) and London (2012 Olympics partnership regeneration scheme). For each of them I said how they were sustainable and how they weren't and evaluated to what degree they'd achieved true sustainability thereby proving it as an impossibility or a possibility :smile: A lot of people I know talked about eco-towns as well which was definitely a good thing to talk about :smile:

Yeah it was pretty open ended and that's why I liked it :smile: What did you write about?
Original post by Katrina12
What did you write about for the essay? I can't find anyone else who did this essay and I'm not sure I answered it correctly:/

well i critiqued the quote a lot throughout - basically I make the presumption that climate change can only be irreversible if it is a totally natural process - so basically if it isn't totally natural it can be reversed so I introduced the difference between climate change and global warming
first paragraph on the ways climate change is totally natural and so is irreversible - with all the climatechange that's natural in the past and why it was and talked about milankovitch cycles&changes in ocean currents
then I introduced the concept of global warming and how it came about - and said evidence that it is occuring and drew a couple of graphs and mentioned Al Gore's stuff which support the evidence it's occuring so I wrote about 2 paragraphs on this and concluded that there is potential to reverse climate change since there is evidence it isn't totally natural
Next paragraph was on what has been done in the past - mentioned the climate change summits including the paris one and said about what some sceptics may say but countered it with China and USA in particular taking a lot of interest very recently so it can't be pointless so the reason it may have been seen as overwhelming before was due to the lack of interest and willingness by the biggest superpowers and basically said that it is due to the willingness and coorporation of different nations so it isn't overwhelming
mini paragraph on the technology we have today to reverse climate change and talked about the hole in the ozone layer and how that was solved when nations cooperated so this is a similar sort of issue - so it isn't overwhelming
Concluded with that more time needs to be taken till we can say it's overwhelming and pointless and said I disagreed with the quote as there is evidence that climate change can be reversed

That's how I approached it anyways - don't think there was exactly a correct answer to this as my teacher said he thought it was a question with many approaches to answer it
Original post by Fredthesnail
Weather and climate questions
1st one, I put about pollutants react with sunlight and anticyclonic conditions help to trap the pollutants below the inversion layer etc :smile:
2nd Ocean currents and air masses etc :smile:
3rd Great storm of 1987, 16 people dead blah blah etc :smile:

World cities
1st one was great commented on the table and that waste is declining, EU set UK a 50% recycling target means less at landfill etc :smile:
2nd one the main causes of urban decline I felt were suburbanisation, people move out leaving urban blight shops closing environment turning bad cycle of deprivation
3rd one I put about the regeneration of Park Hill and London Docklands...breakdown of east end community is that right?

Volcano 40marker----------wegener, eruption of eyjallajokull and how people had web cams could track monitor eruption = less deaths
in Hawaai land use farmers know its basaltic so know clear flanks as its is running, covers a long distance etc (thought the 40marker was decent)
Just worried about what i put for world cities 2nd and 3rd one, are they right?

I don't see how wegners theory of plate tectonics was relevant to the 40 mark tectonics essay, he was merely proving that plates move - sure this is indicative of volcanic activity, but has not aided in preventing any deaths per say. I didn't include wegener as you might have guessed haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Julieplec
I don't see how wegners theory of plate tectonics was relevant to the 40 mark tectonics essay, he was merely proving that plates move - sure this is indicative of volcanic activity, but has not aided in preventing any deaths per say. I didn't include wegener as you might have guessed haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

even though I didn't do this essay in the end, I did plan it when I was deciding which to do and I agree with you, didn't seem relevant at all. Seems like people probably threw Wegener in because everyone thought the 40 marker would be on the theory and that was the content they revised the most :/
Original post by rubenpaulo
GUYS TALK ABOUT THE TYPE OF QUESTIONS WE WILL NEED TO REVISE FOR GEOG4B RATHER THAN GEOG3 WHICH IS DONE NOW!! We need to do really well in geog4b

lol i feel ya, there's a geog4b thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3967521&page=7) but its not very active:frown:
even though I didn't do this essay in the end, I did plan it when I was deciding which to do and I agree with you, didn't seem relevant at all. Seems like people probably threw Wegener in because everyone thought the 40 marker would be on the theory and that was the content they revised the most :/

Well there's no negative marking so it's not wrong I guess. I did a small paragraph on it because it said 'knowledge and understanding' so I linked it to how, as we understand plate tectonics now, we are able to locate volcanoes along boundaries and predict eruptions which can reduce death tolls etc etc

I didn't really speak about Wegener as such, but included plate tectonics theory as if people are aware that volcanoes are more likely to form at plate boundaries then these areas can be more prepared, e.g. the emergency services in the UK wouldn't need to know how to deal with a volcanic eruption but the emergency services in somewhere like Iceland would. I also said that it helps us to know how the volcanoes are formed and that volcanoes formed at divergent margins are often more deadly than at convergent margins as they are more explosive.

Tbf I didn't include that much on this, it was only a paragraph but thought it linked quite well to the knowledge/understanding part of the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fact that the word knowledge was included in the question , means that mentioning wegener would be relevant. you dont have to mention it but it is credit-worthy
Original post by CLGC98
The fact that the word knowledge was included in the question , means that mentioning wegener would be relevant. you dont have to mention it but it is credit-worthy

I think the mark scheme will pretty much identical to last year, the question was VERY similar. With regards to Wegeners theory, probably writing a sentence of two would have sufficed. I.e. Our knowledge of Vulcanism stems from Alfred Wegener in 1912 who published his theory of plate tectonics. Anymore than that is rambling and a tad off topic I believe, such as if you start including geological, climatological, biological evidence etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wegener's Theory was the foundation for plate motion and how we know land is being created or destroyed. Critics of his theory were quick to point out that 'the Earth should be growing in size'. However we now know through knowledge and understanding that subduction zones exist. So you could argue that through his theory (which is still recent, in the grand scheme of civilised populations) we have become familiar with subduction zones and the serious risk associated with this plate boundary, especially when one of the pieces of evidence he used to dispel critics was the Marianas Trench which lies in the 'Ring of Fire'. Thus we know about these plate margins and how this area is a danger volcanically and seismically, meaning that some of these countries can reduce impacts and mitigate destruction
Reply 2431
Original post by Peppercrunch
Oh crap. I wrote acres in a case study instead of hectares. I hoped I don't get marked down for it :colonhash:

Don't worry I said hundreds died in the Montserrat eruption when it was actually 19 hahaha
Original post by Katrina12

I also did the climate essay. I spoke about what climate change is and evidence for climate change. I then spoke briefly about why it is seen to be irreversable. After that I then spoke about how the international, national and local ways of reducing the effects of climate change and ways of managing it.
Geog 4A PREDICTIONS ?
do you think AQA will accept inner city areas for the world cities 10 marker? It was a very ambiguous question and it seems that a lot of people have written about inner city regeneration, would they take that into consideration?
Original post by Hannah365
do you think AQA will accept inner city areas for the world cities 10 marker? It was a very ambiguous question and it seems that a lot of people have written about inner city regeneration, would they take that into consideration?

100%-we will accept it. They are what we, at AQA, call partner topics and it is a must for the mark scheme to have both partner topics.

Relax, and prepare for the other exams!!

The Student Room, despite its many advantages, is a huge hindrance once an exam has been completed!!
Original post by Fredthesnail
Wegener's Theory was the foundation for plate motion and how we know land is being created or destroyed. Critics of his theory were quick to point out that 'the Earth should be growing in size'. However we now know through knowledge and understanding that subduction zones exist. So you could argue that through his theory (which is still recent, in the grand scheme of civilised populations) we have become familiar with subduction zones and the serious risk associated with this plate boundary, especially when one of the pieces of evidence he used to dispel critics was the Marianas Trench which lies in the 'Ring of Fire'. Thus we know about these plate margins and how this area is a danger volcanically and seismically, meaning that some of these countries can reduce impacts and mitigate destruction

This is wrong unfortunately, it is correct information and you will get Knowledge marks for the point but you won't add any marks to the main essay content marking section.
Original post by markwedwards98
Well the Geog teachers at my school have said you definitely needed to have talked about a city centre scheme but they did say that AQA are often quite lenient with questions like those.

We are, as long as the information rings true in Unit 3 (NOT UNIT 4 FYI), the marks can be given. In Unit 4 a much more truthful account is required.
Reply 2438
Any GEOG 4 Predictions?
Original post by lizzie997
That's an entirely different question to the one this year, which referred to regeneration and not redevelopment, you could have interpreted it two ways.

yeh but in both cases it would have to be city centre

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending