The Student Room Group

Cutting people off

What is the best way to cut someone off? Just don't talk to them anymore or become more and more distant...?

Thank you.
It depends why you want to cut contact? I've just stopped talking to them / blocked their number if they've done something wrong. But sometimes, we've just drifted apart.
It depends, did you see them often/only call&text/do you have them on social media etc?

Never mind about this more and more distant thing just stop replying point blank and stick to it!
Original post by Anonymous
What is the best way to cut someone off? Just don't talk to them anymore or become more and more distant...?

Thank you.

I've never cut anyone off before but I suppose you would avoid meeting up with them, one on one conversations, texting/social media.
Reply 4
I do this all the time, not intentionally, it's just an awful part of my character and I hate it. Having distanced so many people with no explanation and just cut things and people out of my life without giving them a valid reason I would say it would be best to end it properly. It doesn't feel good to just stop talking to someone until they stop talking to you, even if you don't like them. It's something that will always be on your conscience. If you just tell them honestly that you need some time for yourself for a bit, or just gradually start seeing them less but try not to make false excuses up, just be honest and say that you're not in the mood or whatever. Although this might make them think that you're like depressed and so have the opposite effect.. But what I mean is just so it gradually and as nicely and honestly as you can. I understand the need for a few white lies though. Just don't become the kind of person who does this all the time with everyone, like me.
i just don't reply for months and they just gather the idea that i am not interested .... oh if u see them face to face ... just say hi and act like u don't care ....
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
It depends why you want to cut contact? I've just stopped talking to them / blocked their number if they've done something wrong. But sometimes, we've just drifted apart.

Was a good friend in the past, but now they aren't and they don't seem to care that much about me.

Original post by MaseratiJay
It depends, did you see them often/only call&text/do you have them on social media etc?

Never mind about this more and more distant thing just stop replying point blank and stick to it!

We spoke fairly often, but we have become distant as time has gone on, to be fair.

Surely, I am a terrible person if I just leave and not explain anything to them, though?
Reply 7
Original post by Wimsett
I do this all the time, not intentionally, it's just an awful part of my character and I hate it. Having distanced so many people with no explanation and just cut things and people out of my life without giving them a valid reason I would say it would be best to end it properly. It doesn't feel good to just stop talking to someone until they stop talking to you, even if you don't like them. It's something that will always be on your conscience. If you just tell them honestly that you need some time for yourself for a bit, or just gradually start seeing them less but try not to make false excuses up, just be honest and say that you're not in the mood or whatever. Although this might make them think that you're like depressed and so have the opposite effect.. But what I mean is just so it gradually and as nicely and honestly as you can. I understand the need for a few white lies though. Just don't become the kind of person who does this all the time with everyone, like me.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Not sure if I will actually be able to just leave without explaining the reasons why. My friend doesn't seem to care if I am struggling at the moment anyway and is too self-absorbed.
Was a good friend in the past, but now they aren't and they don't seem to care that much about me.

We spoke fairly often, but we have become distant as time has gone on, to be fair.

Surely, I am a terrible person if I just leave and not explain anything to them, though?

See bit in bold....then see the bit I've underlined.

For that reason, no.

If someone isn't in your life and especially if they don't seem to care/notice if you are dead or alive they really, really, really need no explanation, none whatsoever.

If it was the case that you were really close with someone and cut them off with no warning or explanation that would be kind of harsh..but your situation is very different!
Reply 9
My ex, I actively made the decision to cut contact. We started talking again not long after the breakup but I realised it wasn't a good idea and told her that it would probably be best for both of us to move on and leave each other in the past.

Best decision I ever made tbh :lol:
The best way is to tell them that you don't want to talk! Never ignore someone it can screw with their emotions and their head!
Original post by MaseratiJay
See bit in bold....then see the bit I've underlined.

For that reason, no.

If someone isn't in your life and especially if they don't seem to care/notice if you are dead or alive they really, really, really need no explanation, none whatsoever.

If it was the case that you were really close with someone and cut them off with no warning or explanation that would be kind of harsh..but your situation is very different!

I understand what you mean. I will try and do that but my conscience will probably get the better of me :frown:

The best way is to tell them that you don't want to talk! Never ignore someone it can screw with their emotions and their head!

They do it to me all the time and even if I talk to them about it, they don't seem to care so they deserve it (for a while anyway).
Reply 12
I'm also trying to cut someone off because I can't handle and hate their two-facedness. But deep down even when we were supposedly friends I knew the friendship would end sooner or later. I'm also guilty of ignoring them but they don't make the effort to care about me anyway so I guess it is a mutual thing. Unintentionally they got someone to in a way "attack" me by hinting that they don't like me so I'm just trying to minimise contact with them

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do it to me all the time and even if I talk to them about it, they don't seem to care so they deserve it (for a while anyway).

I know what you mean, today I blocked my crush on some social media I can't put up with her ignoring me some of the time and taking like 2 hours to reply. It ****s with my head and it's not healthy, so i'm trying to push her away!!
I know what you mean, today I blocked my crush on some social media I can't put up with her ignoring me some of the time and taking like 2 hours to reply. It ****s with my head and it's not healthy, so i'm trying to push her away!!

It's a pisstake. Just try and forget about her and move on. I know it's incredibly hard, but it's worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending