The Student Room Group

2016 WJEC A2-Level Biology, BY5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhyss01
But with E, which was the first stage, the bivalents weren't at the equator so it couldn't have been at metaphase surely, thought that C or whatever it was was the metaphase 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry man - I meant they join up at prophase I and remain as bivalents at metaphase I before they get pulled apart at anaphase I. This was just my thought process so thought that each block = one bivalent. Could most certainly be wrong
Reply 121
I agree, but there was 12 blocks so surely diploid is 24, and therefore haploid is 12?

Original post by samwray
sorry man - I meant they join up at prophase I and remain as bivalents at metaphase I before they get pulled apart at anaphase I. This was just my thought process so thought that each block = one bivalent. Could most certainly be wrong
Original post by ishanS
I agree, but there was 12 blocks so surely diploid is 24, and therefore haploid is 12?

^^^ exactly what I thought, 12
What did people put for why the white clover became a different species?
Original post by Squirrel246
What did you guys put for the Q about the Ebola Virus and how it makes amino acid and protein sequence? The 4 mark one after the first Q?

mRNA travels to ribosome. Each ribosome has two attachment sites. Each tRNA is bonded to a specific amino acid. tRNA with complimentary anti codon pairs up with first codon on mRNA. Ribosomes mover right. Second tRNA with anticodon complementary to second codon on ribsome attaches at second attachment site. Condensation reaction occurs between the two adjacent amino acids forming a peptide bond.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
What did people put for why the white clover became a different species?

i thought that one was weird. I put they were isolated from wild clover. There were different selection pressure and different mutations, resulting in a different gene pool, resulting in change of phenotype. For example pollen no longer compatible with other types of clover so can no longer interbreed to produce fertile offspring.
Original post by Zwitterion1
mRNA travels to ribosome. Each ribosome has two attachment sites. Each tRNA is bonded to a specific amino acid. tRNA with complimentary anti codon pairs up with first codon on mRNA. Ribosomes mover right. Second tRNA with anticodon complementary to second codon on ribsome attaches at second attachment site. Condensation reaction occurs between the two adjacent amino acids forming a peptide bond.

Okay thanks me too! Although I spent a lot of time talking about Reverse Transcriptase...? I thought it might have used that to make cDNA. I then described translation and then transcription... Sorry other way around!
Original post by samwray

That diagram should've been way clearer it was a joke haha oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
i thought that one was weird. I put they were isolated from wild clover. There were different selection pressure and different mutations, resulting in a different gene pool, resulting in change of phenotype. For example pollen no longer compatible with other types of clover so can no longer interbreed to produce fertile offspring.

Ah ok that sounds right, I can't quite remember what I put but I remember talking about speciation.
Original post by Squirrel246
Okay thanks me too! Although I spent a lot of time talking about Reverse Transcriptase...? I thought it might have used that to make cDNA. I then described translation and then transcription... Sorry other way around!

I didn't put that but it might be right. I think only an explanation of translation was required though as if I remember correctly the question was along the lines of: 'how does the virus make polypeptides by translation'.
I didn't put that but it might be right. I think only an explanation of translation was required though as if I remember correctly the question was along the lines of: 'how does the virus make polypeptides by translation'.

Yeah that's what I thought after I read it for the millionth time so I quickly wrote down that process in what time I had left!
Reply 131
Hey guys
why did grazing change the frequency of allele E? and why was the original glycoprotein smaller than the changed one?
Original post by Warfa
Hey guys
why did grazing change the frequency of allele E? and why was the original glycoprotein smaller than the changed one?

For E I said it increased. I said the normal sequence contained a stop codon, but this was replaced by amino acid codon in the new one, so the amino acid chain was longer.
Original post by k.russell
Also I got 0.5555... so rounded 0.56%, hope 2s.f. was ok I don't think rounding to 1 would be a good idea, you're losing a lot of accuracy going from .55555... to 1 aren't you. almost 2x actual value and when would you ever round to 1 s.f. in a science exam?

I put 9.9%...is that too much rounding?? 😂 What's a balls up :frown:
Reply 134
For E I said it increased. I said the normal sequence contained a stop codon, but this was replaced by amino acid codon in the new one, so the amino acid chain was longer.

thanks, where did the stop codon come from i feel like im missing out on something big
Original post by Warfa
thanks, where did the stop codon come from i feel like im missing out on something big

The page before it asked you to fill in the original and changed sequences. From that you would've seen the stop codon in the original sequence, which splits up the polypeptide
Grade boundaries this year anyone?
Original post by scarytsrrr
Grade boundaries this year anyone?

Well 2014 was 52 I think for an A so hopefully no higher than that
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ForeverAStudent1
Guys what did you get for the photosynthetic efficiency calculation question?

I got 0.5 recurring. Will i get 2 marks for that and the working out? Some people got 1% so im not sure if we had to round it

Definitely 1% you need to add respiration excretion and energy passed on to next trophic level ÷ energy falling on plant.. photosynthetic energy is a measure of the proportion of light that falls on a plant which is actually made us of.
Original post by edenjxde
i did something similar! i put that decomposition is slower in peat bogs as the ph is not the optimum for the enzymes that decomposers secrete so it denatures or something along those lines

Said exactly the same!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending