The Student Room Group

Live alone or with someone else?

I'm moving out in a couple of months and I'm considering whether to live alone or not while I work in London. If I live alone I'll expect to pay about £1,000 a month on rent to live somewhere decent, my net pay each month will be £2,509, so £1,000 represents about 40% of my net annual salary. I could choose to live with a stranger, if I do this I'll probably have a bigger and possibly nicer property, and would expect to pay about £750-£900 for this. I could spend up to £1,000 on this too, but I don't think spending that much is necessary.

What would you do? I want my own space but I'm not sure if I can justify spending that much money on rent. I know in London many people spent proportionately much more than that on rent on average, but it's still a lot of money.
Well, if you're thinking of sharing a property, consider whether you'd get along with the flatmate
Original post by Howbeit
I'm moving out in a couple of months and I'm considering whether to live alone or not while I work in London. If I live alone I'll expect to pay about £1,000 a month on rent to live somewhere decent, my net pay each month will be £2,509, so £1,000 represents about 40% of my net annual salary. I could choose to live with a stranger, if I do this I'll probably have a bigger and possibly nicer property, and would expect to pay about £750-£900 for this. I could spend up to £1,000 on this too, but I don't think spending that much is necessary.

What would you do? I want my own space but I'm not sure if I can justify spending that much money on rent. I know in London many people spent proportionately much more than that on rent on average, but it's still a lot of money.

I would probably choose to live with someone both to save money and to avoid being lonely. But I don't think I would live with a stranger maybe see if there is someone you know that you can live with.
generally I would live with someone else, and save money that way. Living in London alone is hard to do unless you have the serious cash for it.
Try to be practical, you can even put out ads for a flatmate
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
Well, if you're thinking of sharing a property, consider whether you'd get along with the flatmate

Original post by niv1234
I would probably choose to live with someone both to save money and to avoid being lonely. But I don't think I would live with a stranger maybe see if there is someone you know that you can live with.

This is the main issue, I can't guarantee I'll like the person I'm living with. Also, I'll be working long hours and I usually travel at the weekends to see friends and family so I don't think I'll get lonely. I'm also planning on getting involved in a couple of hobbies more regularly after work when I can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending