The Student Room Group

Brexit is all about jealousy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tabstercat
Jealousy, no, I don't think so. A mixture of being misinformed, lied to, xenophobic, afraid of change, nostalgic, that's more likely.

Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, living and working through decades of Project US of E has not been a roaring success and the grass hasn't been greener
Original post by Maker
No one can deny its the old, uneducated and poor that have screwed things up young, educated and well off.

I'll give it a shot.

If you think the young, educated and well-off have been screwed, they screwed themselves. 18-24 year olds were the least likely to vote Remain out of all the age groups, as well as the least likely to vote Leave, because they largely couldn't be bothered to show up.

In addition, I tick all your 'screwed' boxes, and I voted Leave :u:
Reply 22
Good God, OP sure is up themselves :colonhash:
Original post by Maker
No one can deny its the old, uneducated and poor that have screwed things up young, educated and well off.

Those poor, uneducated people who produce little and gets ignored because they have little impact on world gets the chance to stick it to those that have a chance to make something of their lives.

They want to pull them down to their level so they get noticed, their 15 minutes of fame, like a contestant on Big Brother or X factor before sliding back into anonymity.

So its not surprising its the poor and old who bang on about sovereignty, taking back control and keeping out foreigners, all issues with a lack of control.

The poor have been told what to do all their lives by employers, bureaucrats and never listened to. They get a chance to take control and they use it to do the most damage to those they think have a better chance in life, chances they never had.

Its jealousy.

No. Well, I mean, yes, in part. There are severe issues in this country with wealth inequality and towns that have suffered deprivation and decline for far too long. People are unhappy and bitter. But whose problem is this? And who decided to use this anger and channel it for their own gain? Look at the current games dividing our political parties. The dissatisfied have been used, they have been manipulated. This country is running hollow atm. An embarrassment to the world. Not even Boris wants to claim it. Regardless, your words are disdainful and gross.
(edited 7 years ago)
My Gramps was heavily in favour of joining the EU when the referendum in the 70's happened, because he thought it was for the best of the country. And he was heavily in favour of leaving this time because he thought it was best for the country. It wasn't to spite anyone. It's because it's his opinion.

The only problems people should be having with in order are the racist , and the people insulting the other side for being stupid/whining.

There are people in this world who want to cause terror. There are nations that are intolerant towards homosexuality and treat women as second class citizens. Yet people are talking about the other sides voters as if they are the lowest of the low. It's the constant spiteful comments I see on social media that makes me feel ashamed. Not the result, whatever it would have turned out to be.
Original post by Platopus
Many older people voted leave, not somehow to spite the younger generation, but because they have fought for democracy, can see that the EU doesn't provide that and because they care about us.

Take a look at the story of these war veterans:

"Colin Ashford, 97, who survived the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, said:

‘Under the EU all the democratic freedom we had in the pre-war days in the 20s and 30s, all that has been eroded away by the EU.‘We want to become more of a democratic country again.

'Lieutenant Francis Goode, 92, said: ‘I don’t want my grandchildren and their children to be subservient to a different country, we fought for freedom for Britain.’"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...untry-end.html

I don't think it is either your view or Maker's view.

Mr Goode is not part of the economy. He has a pension or several pensions which he will believe are absolutely secure and not dependent on economic performance.

Essentially the issues that matter to those who voted Remain, don't concern him. He doesn't want to see his grandchildren subservient to a different country but his grandchild may now be looking to relocate with the bank for which he works to Frankfurt where he will obviously be much more subservient to foreign laws than he is in England. To the grandchild, continuing to receive the high salary international banks pay is likely to be far more important than whether he has to live under laws made in Westminster, Brussels or Berlin.

Generally speaking the less a person is connected to the wider economy the more likely they are to have voted Leave.
Reply 26
Original post by Razamataz666
tonight i bathe in your tears. Stop winging.

Original post by Platopus
Many older people voted leave, not somehow to spite the younger generation, but because they have fought for democracy, can see that the EU doesn't provide that and because they care about us.

Take a look at the story of these war veterans:

"Colin Ashford, 97, who survived the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, said:

‘Under the EU all the democratic freedom we had in the pre-war days in the 20s and 30s, all that has been eroded away by the EU.‘We want to become more of a democratic country again.

'Lieutenant Francis Goode, 92, said: ‘I don’t want my grandchildren and their children to be subservient to a different country, we fought for freedom for Britain.’"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...untry-end.html

Perhaps, if there had been an EU in the 1920 and 30s when European countries cooperated, traded goods, travelled and stayed in each other countries and learned about other peoples' lives, there might have not been a Second World War.

Some people often evoke WWII as when Britain stood alone against Nazi tyranny when in fact, hundreds of thousands of people from the rest of Europe travelled to Britain and defended us with their lives.

Those who don't learn from history is bound to repeat it.
Reply 27
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'll give it a shot.

If you think the young, educated and well-off have been screwed, they screwed themselves. 18-24 year olds were the least likely to vote Remain out of all the age groups, as well as the least likely to vote Leave, because they largely couldn't be bothered to show up.

In addition, I tick all your 'screwed' boxes, and I voted Leave :u:

Victim blaming
It remains to be seen whether the young will be screwed or not; claiming they will be assumes there is no real dispute about EU membership being positive in which case everyone should have voted Remain.

I am young, educated, well-off, and unlike most of these Facebook cosmopolitans actually make use of the four freedoms, and I voted Leave expecting short term economic damage but a better long term position. As I hope to live several more decades I think this makes sense. For a self-interested old person it makes much less sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
The OP is clearly a troll. But what he says is, in part, undeniably right. A big chunk of the people who voted for Leave live in de-industrialised areas where economic prosperity has been absent since the 60s or so. It is very easy to convince someone who's having economic problems that the EU is to blame for them and that if it weren't for the EU, he'd be better off.

I don't in the least buy the argument that Leavers cared mostly about "sovereignty" and not really about immigration (or that immigration was a secondary issue). I think Cameron has it right and Juncker wrong. People heavily dislike immigration and think it's the cause of many ills in the UK (as so many polls have been showing us for years and years now). Quite a few seem to think the EU also regulates non-EU immigration (the implication being that that too would be drastically cut post-Brexit).

I don't think they give a damn about EU regulations or w/e although scary sounding slogans invoking the death of
parliamentary sovereignty like "the EU makes over half of our laws" played an important role (but not the defining role). As Cameron says if the EU had allowed the UK to restrict EU migration (at least from those post-2004 EU countries which send large numbers of migrants to the UK - Poland, Romania, Slovakia?), Leave wouldn't have won.

This is the last time I admit publically that I agreed with Cameron on something.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
What a load of tosh. The OP essentially boils down to this, as with all these butthurt remainer posts.

"Accept our unquestioning superiority you snivelling little peasant"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker

Those poor, uneducated people who produce little and gets ignored because they have little impact on world gets the chance to stick it to those that have a chance to make something of their lives.

They want to pull them down to their level so they get noticed, their 15 minutes of fame, like a contestant on Big Brother or X factor before sliding back into anonymity.

So its not surprising its the poor and old who bang on about sovereignty, taking back control and keeping out foreigners, all issues with a lack of control.

The poor have been told what to do all their lives by employers, bureaucrats and never listened to. They get a chance to take control and they use it to do the most damage to those they think have a better chance in life, chances they never had.

Its jealousy.

You state that these poor ineffective people have been marginialised for so long, have bared the brunt of policies which benefit the powers that be.. Yet conclude they voted out of jealousy.

Anger perhaps? Disdain? Desperation for change? Wanting to shape their own future?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
You state that these poor ineffective people have been marginialised for so long, have bared the brunt of policies which benefit the powers that be.. Yet conclude they voted out of jealousy.

Anger perhaps? Disdain? Desperation for change? Wanting to shape their own future?

When the proles vote left clearly they are expressing righteous anger at unsustainable conditions, when they vote right merely expressing their stupidity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

I suspect at the end of the Brexit process nothing very much will really change, except, regrettably, a potential rise in xenophobia. It's up to you to ensure that that isn't allowed to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually it's up to everyone in society to stand up to this prejudice and discrimination, not just a chosen section of society. I won't call it xenophobia because I don't think the abuse is hurled at non-British (and British) citizens is due to fear, rather intolerance and perhaps misinformation
Original post by Maker
Perhaps, if there had been an EU in the 1920 and 30s when European countries cooperated, traded goods, travelled and stayed in each other countries and learned about other peoples' lives, there might have not been a Second World War.

Some people often evoke WWII as when Britain stood alone against Nazi tyranny when in fact, hundreds of thousands of people from the rest of Europe travelled to Britain and defended us with their lives.

Those who don't learn from history is bound to repeat it.

It is, NATO, not the EU, which is responsible for the long period of peace we have been experiencing since WW2
Reply 35
Original post by AYellowBelly
Actually it's up to everyone in society to stand up to this prejudice and discrimination, not just a chosen section of society. I won't call it xenophobia because I don't think the abuse is hurled at non-British (and British) citizens is due to fear, rather intolerance and perhaps misinformation

Indeed. But I'm not sure the people on the receiving end care much about the differences in motivations...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker

Its jealousy.

LOOOOL! It is not the poor, educated or the old fault! There was a country referendum and the majority spoke. About time you got off your high horse!
Err no, more like the wise and experienced vs the indoctrinated, and the privileged in a bubble having a disproportionate impact in opinion and not living with or taking seriously the ravages of of globalization.
Original post by Maker

Its jealousy.

Those working class people using their votes! Who do they think they are!
(edited 7 years ago)
This is some pretty good bait.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending