The Student Room Group

What to expect from first driving lesson?

I'm finally starting driving at the ripe old age of 22...

What can I expect from my first lesson? I thought the first lesson they put you in an open area like a driving course but I read they they stick you on the road straight away, wtf?

Also it can't be that hard to drive right? I mean I've gone through uni, done exams, got a first, graduating, blah blah blah... Surely driving should be easy peasy right?
just a normal intro about the parts of the car like what is steering, how to use a break and gear, all that jazz :erm:
They will take you to back streets with very few cars. Don't worry start slow stall a bit. Its quite fun actually.
Reply 3
Driving is easy. It's also easy to kill youself and other people whilst driving. Relax enough to not be too stressed out to learn. Take it seriously enough to not be dangerous.
During my first driving lesson, my instructor took me to a quiet residential street and spent the first half an hour or so explaining all the different controls etc. Then she got me to drive for a little bit and put what I'd learned into practice. Your instructor isn't likely to take you somewhere busy for the first few lessons, there shouldn't be much traffic around!

Everyone learns to drive at a different pace, some people take to it more quickly than others! None of us can really say how easy or difficult you will find it :smile:
Reply 5
A few laps round the block in a very quiet suburban area.
Well in my first lesson my instructor drove to a quiet industrial site where he told me about the parts of the car and how to make the car move and things.

Once that was over with, i drove around the industrial site. Then through a village and finally drove home.
But that was only because i was comfortable with it. That was the last time my instructor drove me until i passed my test.

Its a little strange to begin with but after a few lessons it becomes easy.
Driving is now second nature to me! :biggrin:
Good Luck!
Don't put too mch pressure on yourself or expect to never make any mistakes and have things go right the first time. This is what my instructor told me a few lessons in, I guess what he said was true.
i was doing wheelies on my first lesson don't worry m8
Original post by UWS
I'm finally starting driving at the ripe old age of 22...

What can I expect from my first lesson? I thought the first lesson they put you in an open area like a driving course but I read they they stick you on the road straight away, wtf?

Also it can't be that hard to drive right? I mean I've gone through uni, done exams, got a first, graduating, blah blah blah... Surely driving should be easy peasy right?

Expect to be £20 lighter than when you got in the car.

They'll show you the pedals and how to change gear and you'll probably do some driving in some quiet remote area probably going as high as 3rd/4th. You'll here the phrase put your clutch down or find your biting point like 12 billion times but don't worry :smile: oh and they'll show you how to adjust seats mirrors etc and maybe if you've got a helpful instructor, you'll get a free theory DVD :tongue:
Reply 10
I was Confused R Us lol.

My driving instructor put me in the driving seat and made me do all sorts of insane maneuvers such as turning and starting the car :frown:
Original post by UWS
I was Confused R Us lol.

My driving instructor put me in the driving seat and made me do all sorts of insane maneuvers such as turning and starting the car :frown:

How is it going now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending