The Student Room Group

NCS Electricals

Well here I am Sunday afternoon wondering how on Earth to pack.

Is anyone bringing electricals along with them? I know most will bring phones but I'm also thinking of bringing a very small laptop PC. I get that NCS can't be held responsible for it and it's fine but I'll need it if there are any written tasks and would just like to have it for half an hour a day or so. Anyone else thinking of doing the same, maybe a tablet or iPad or something?
Hhhmmmm

I'm in exactly the same position

I will bring my phone
But I will not risk bringing a laptop or iPad
If it's the first week then a phone is fine imo
You will not need to write anything because the first week is mostly getting active and bonding with people

Did NCS give you a guide on what to pack?

I'm starting to pack
I'm starting on Wednesday :biggrin:
Reply 2
They're provided a guide but I'm still fairly confused because there's no timetable or idea of the kind of activities we'll be doing. I'm mostly done now.

Which means I have 12 hours to think about the laptop :/
Original post by M451
They're provided a guide but I'm still fairly confused because there's no timetable or idea of the kind of activities we'll be doing. I'm mostly done now.

Which means I have 12 hours to think about the laptop :/

I haven't got a timetable or the kind of activities I will be doing
I suggest not to take it
Especially if someone decides to steal it or something

Do you know who you're staying with?
Reply 4
Original post by AppleB
I haven't got a timetable or the kind of activities I will be doing
I suggest not to take it
Especially if someone decides to steal it or something

Do you know who you're staying with?

I don't know how the rooms will be but a few are from my school and I met a couple of other people at our meetup.

I can take care of it but am worried about theft tbh. I'll see.

Did your group get told who they're staying with?
Don't take it. From my experience, I barely got anytime to even relax on my phone before I was sleepy and went to bed. The only writing you'll have to do is reviews of the activities you've done, and that's a quick 5 minutes of ticking boxes.

We got told at a taster day we could bring laptops. But considering the rules about not overloading plugs we were given, you're better off not bringing it. You are very unlikely to have wifi. So unless you have some word documents to write, don't bother.

The program assumes you don't have a laptop, or you're illiterate so you'll never have to write anything worth doing on a laptop.
Reply 6
Original post by xEmilyxx
Don't take it. From my experience, I barely got anytime to even relax on my phone before I was sleepy and went to bed. The only writing you'll have to do is reviews of the activities you've done, and that's a quick 5 minutes of ticking boxes.

We got told at a taster day we could bring laptops. But considering the rules about not overloading plugs we were given, you're better off not bringing it. You are very unlikely to have wifi. So unless you have some word documents to write, don't bother.

The program assumes you don't have a laptop, or you're illiterate so you'll never have to write anything worth doing on a laptop.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

I know data/WiFi will be an issue no matter what. I am almost illiterate to be totally honest, anything more than a few sentences gets word processed. Most of my friends who have already been say they get 30-60 minutes a day to do what they want with so I guess it makes sense not to take it. Plugs shouldn't be an issue, it should get through the whole week if it's just one hour a day and can fully charge in about half.
I just like having a proper PC to browse on even if it's for a few minutes, even though my phone is perfectly capable. It'll boil down to how stubborn I am I guess :|
(edited 7 years ago)

Stupid question
But
Are the people nice
Do you bond quickly
How many people are there in total?

I'm soooo nervous lol
For second week you will be fine bring in a small laptop or iPad as you will be in secure personal rooms.
Original post by AppleB
Stupid question
But
Are the people nice
Do you bond quickly
How many people are there in total?

I'm soooo nervous lol

Depends what type of person you are really. Im lucky to be in a close knit group and we all speak to each other, but the other 3 teams in our area aren't like that. Apparently they all stay seperated in their small groups.

Each of our teams had around 12-15 people, so overall there were about 50 from our area. People tended to hang around with people from similar social backgrounds, so you wouldn't get any people who considered themselves rich with people from families who were struggling. Everyone is nice there and I found it easy enough to start speaking to people who seemed friendly enough to approach me, but as expected, some were harder to approach than others.

Bonding occurs quite quickly within your teams, whilst bonding with other teams either doesn't happen or takes longer. It all depends on the team.
Depends what type of person you are really. Im lucky to be in a close knit group and we all speak to each other, but the other 3 teams in our area aren't like that. Apparently they all stay seperated in their small groups.

Each of our teams had around 12-15 people, so overall there were about 50 from our area. People tended to hang around with people from similar social backgrounds, so you wouldn't get any people who considered themselves rich with people from families who were struggling. Everyone is nice there and I found it easy enough to start speaking to people who seemed friendly enough to approach me, but as expected, some were harder to approach than others.

Bonding occurs quite quickly within your teams, whilst bonding with other teams either doesn't happen or takes longer. It all depends on the team.

I'm friendly but can be shy loool
So the groups are fairly small

I want a nice team :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending