The Student Room Group

Mum has too high expectations: A Level results

I don't think my mum understands the gap between A Levels and GCSE. For some reason she has the expectations that I'm going to get full A*s for everything just because I got high GCSE results.

Luckily my dad teaches A Levels so he understands, but whenever we try to explain to my mum that I'm probably not going to get 3 A*s she shouts at us about how we're wrong and we're being pessimistic and horrible.

I don't know what to do about it because I feel like whatever I get, my mum will be disappointed. I'm only getting my AS results this year, but I'm really nervous about A2 because I'm trying to get into University of Manchester and my mum thinks it's going to be really easy for me.
Even if your mom thinks it's a breeze getting A*s at A level, that doesn't mean you can't do it.. Just work hard, AS results are salvageable and there isn't much you can do about the way she reacts to yours
You can't control what your mum thinks.*

You have enough to worry about with trying to get the grades you want - don't add to your anxiety by worrying about things outside your control. *
Original post by Amefish
I don't think my mum understands the gap between A Levels and GCSE. For some reason she has the expectations that I'm going to get full A*s for everything just because I got high GCSE results. Luckily my dad teaches A Levels so he understands, but whenever we try to explain to my mum that I'm probably not going to get 3 A*s she shouts at us about how we're wrong and we're being pessimistic and horrible. I don't know what to do about it because I feel like whatever I get, my mum will be disappointed. I'm only getting my AS results this year, but I'm really nervous about A2 because I'm trying to get into University of Manchester and my mum thinks it's going to be really easy for me.

She's not wrong, Manchester's easy :u:

But really, just focus on your studies, try to ignore her whenever she start talking about being the best, since your dad understands you can speak more to him concerning A-Levels, and just generally try to achieve the best grades possible for yourself. It's not pessimistic being realistic, but even then the A*'s are still accessible for you and if you work hard you would get them, and if you don't get A*, then you would still get good results.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
are you going to base your self-worth of whether your mum is disappointed in your grades or not?

she's an idiot - parent or not, if someone clearly doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, you shouldn't take their criticism to heart.
Reply 5
Show her the entry requirements for your desired course at Manchester, to show her that the goalposts really have moved between GCSE and A level.
Don't get put off by what she's saying, take it with a pinch of salt. Do what you have to do, work the hardest you can and whatever results you get from that you should be proud of. It's good that your dad has an understanding of the A level system so if you don't end up with 3A* he can explain to your mum how unrealistic her expectations were
Reply 7
Original post by Amefish
I don't think my mum understands the gap between A Levels and GCSE. For some reason she has the expectations that I'm going to get full A*s for everything just because I got high GCSE results.

Luckily my dad teaches A Levels so he understands, but whenever we try to explain to my mum that I'm probably not going to get 3 A*s she shouts at us about how we're wrong and we're being pessimistic and horrible.

I don't know what to do about it because I feel like whatever I get, my mum will be disappointed. I'm only getting my AS results this year, but I'm really nervous about A2 because I'm trying to get into University of Manchester and my mum thinks it's going to be really easy for me.

I'm doing AS too, what subjects you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest