The Student Room Group

Are people who go through clearing happy?

This may sound like a silly question, but I am currently in that position. How do clearing people cope with going somewhere they hadn't thought about before or been to before? Do the universities offer open days beforehand and do they forget about their rejections eventually?

I applied for natural science and Durham (A*AA) and biology at UCL (AAA) but only got AAB (+A* in EPQ) so within 24 hours I have gone from 'A* predicted' to a complete failure. I'm not sure if I should keep looking for spaces, some at new places some in other courses ones I applied to before or throw in the towel and wait next year. The courses I'm looking for now are somewhat different, I thought environmental sciences/biology sounds good, but there isn't much time to research so is this a good idea?
Most universities do offer some form of visit day for those who apply via Clearing / Adjustment.

From the university's point of view, this is a sensible thing to do for two reasons
a) because you're less likely to drop out if you've seen it first and have made an informed decision
b) if you've seen it first, you're more likely to actually turn up in September rather than get cold feet and go elsewhere / take a gap year

If I were you, I'd ring around and get some verbal offers, then go along to suitable sounding open days. At that point, you'll be able to make an informed decision about whether or not you want to go to any of your choices. If you don't, then it's entirely sensible to take a gap year and reapply, but if you get Clearing offer(s) in the meantime then you'll keep your options open.
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets

If I were you, I'd ring around and get some verbal offers, then go along to suitable sounding open days. At that point, you'll be able to make an informed decision about whether or not you want to go to any of your choices. If you don't, then it's entirely sensible to take a gap year and reapply, but if you get Clearing offer(s) in the meantime then you'll keep your options open.

How long do clearing offers last and when is the deadline for accepting them? As far as I know I can only formally choose one choice but there seems to be no clear deadline, though 31st August comes to mind?
Another problem is accommodation, I'm not too keen on the idea of private accommodation in the first year, I guess I will need to ask this after I get the offers.
Original post by bj1
How long do clearing offers last and when is the deadline for accepting them? As far as I know I can only formally choose one choice but there seems to be no clear deadline, though 31st August comes to mind?
Another problem is accommodation, I'm not too keen on the idea of private accommodation in the first year, I guess I will need to ask this after I get the offers.

How long the offer lasts will vary from uni to uni - some will give you a day or two, others will let you decide in early - mid September.

31st August is the UCAS deadline for meeting the conditions of your firm / insurance e.g. if you are getting a priority remark

Some universities will have spaces left in halls - it's something to ask when you call up (you don't necessarily have to wait until you have a Clearing offer to check what the state of affairs is).
Original post by bj1
This may sound like a silly question, but I am currently in that position. How do clearing people cope with going somewhere they hadn't thought about before or been to before? Do the universities offer open days beforehand and do they forget about their rejections eventually?

I applied for natural science and Durham (A*AA) and biology at UCL (AAA) but only got AAB (+A* in EPQ) so within 24 hours I have gone from 'A* predicted' to a complete failure. I'm not sure if I should keep looking for spaces, some at new places some in other courses ones I applied to before or throw in the towel and wait next year. The courses I'm looking for now are somewhat different, I thought environmental sciences/biology sounds good, but there isn't much time to research so is this a good idea?

Hi,

Don't panic. Clearing is an opportunity to re-evaluate and review your choices now that you've received your results. We have many advisors available on the clearing hotline to talk you through it all, just call 01332 592016.

We are holding Open Events over the next week, so there's plenty of opportunity to come and meet us at Derby. You can book your place via the website: www.derby.ac.uk/clearing/.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Louise
Reply 5
Well... After calling Nottingham I seem to have a place there for natural sciences - a course which I actually originally applied. First time around they gave me an unconditional only IF I made them firm... Which I didn't and declined.
Interestingly on clearing they advertise AAB despite originally wanting A*AA. It pays to go directly to the uni website, since on ucas search it still asks for A*AA. So I guess that's good then, there's no 'shame' of 'ending up' there by clearing as such because I did apply there for the exact same course!!! Nobody except the admissions tutor will know I got there by clearing.

It seems like the easiest option, but I still wonder whether I'd be 100% happy given how in the rankings/reputation far lags behind my other two institutions, and the thought of what could have been, if chemistry had gone better, keeps coming into my head... Would you forget about this over time? However I like the course structure and campus
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
A bit of naming and shaming to do here as well. UCL has 'vacancies' on their website in several subjects, including environmental science, which only needs ABB for example. However on the small print this is only open to 'adjustment' and not clearing, a fact I only found out through an extraordinarily rude woman over the phone.
Why they engage in this practice I do not know. Surely their priority should be to accept ANYONE who meets the grades, eg ABB, regardless of clearing or adjustment, but they are so up their own a**e that common sense is out of the window and they only want adjustment people, despite asking for low grades. When I asked why I was told 'because it's UCL'.

After all, it's their loss since it's likely they may not get those places filled otherwise and they lose money. I wonder what Mr. PQ on here would have to say about this? Certainly Durham doesn't do so, their clearing and adjustment website is identical, with the only vacancy in Pharmacy. Most top unis seem to advertise whatever space they have left in clearing. A select few honestly say they don't take part in neither clearing nor adjustment (St Andrews and Imperial), which is fair enough. Either do it properly or don't bother at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
most of the applicant open day will be tomorrow 20th of August. try to visit as many as you can.
I've found the experience surprisingly ok so far.

Some of the advisors were really kind and understanding, but there was quite a rude man on the phone yesterday who basically told me not to even bother applying. Then when I asked about medicine transfers, he kept reminding how awfully competitive it is, like I'm oblivious to that 😞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending