The Student Room Group

Changing university

Hi

I started my degree in 2014 and completed my first year. However, I only got half way through my second year and have been taking time out due to depression, partly caused because I realised I was not satisfied with the course and so I really don't want to go back to my original course.

Because of this, I have been considering applying to a different university to complete my degree but there are a couple of different options that I am considering:

- Transferring to another university, on a similar course, for second and third years
- Transferring to another university, in a slightly different subject area, and have to complete first, second and third years.

I have already applied for student finance for the repeat of my second year, would this be transferred to a different university should I decide to change? And if I did decide to start a completely new course, would I be funded for all three years due to my circumstances for leaving my original course and, if so, how do I apply for this to be taken into consideration? One of the new courses I am considering is a foundation degree so would this have any impact on the amount and number of years that I would be able to get funding for?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi

If you apply as new or transfer mid course we still use the same calculation to determine your support. We will take the ordinary duration of your new course then add 1 extra year, then we minus away the amount of years you have spent on your previous course which leaves us with your remaining entitlement. We then apply this entitlement to the back of your new course. If you start a 3 year course from year 1 with 2 years previous study, your remaining entitlement will be 2 years. Your funding will be applied to year 2 and 3 of your course. I hope that is clear for you.

In terms of the foundation course, please bear in mind that the ordinary duration of these courses is generally 2 years.

We can take into consideration Compelling personal reasons if you failed to complete or repeated a year due to reasons outside of your control. We will require evidence of these reason however. Please call us on 0300 100 0607 if you wish to discuss your application more specifically.
Original post by Morven SFE
Hi

If you apply as new or transfer mid course we still use the same calculation to determine your support. We will take the ordinary duration of your new course then add 1 extra year, then we minus away the amount of years you have spent on your previous course which leaves us with your remaining entitlement. We then apply this entitlement to the back of your new course. If you start a 3 year course from year 1 with 2 years previous study, your remaining entitlement will be 2 years. Your funding will be applied to year 2 and 3 of your course. I hope that is clear for you.

In terms of the foundation course, please bear in mind that the ordinary duration of these courses is generally 2 years.

We can take into consideration Compelling personal reasons if you failed to complete or repeated a year due to reasons outside of your control. We will require evidence of these reason however. Please call us on 0300 100 0607 if you wish to discuss your application more specifically.

Thanks for your reply. I've been in contact with universities and I'm waiting to hear back from them. If I do change, do I just put the new university and course details on my application online or do I have to start a new application? Also, what type of evidence would I need to provide for the compelling personal reasons and how do I submit it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by InsanityLoaded
Thanks for your reply. I've been in contact with universities and I'm waiting to hear back from them. If I do change, do I just put the new university and course details on my application online or do I have to start a new application? Also, what type of evidence would I need to provide for the compelling personal reasons and how do I submit it?

Hi,

You may change your application online or by sending us a Co1 form.

If you wish to apply for Compelling Personal reasons, we would need a cover letter from you stating which academic year you are referring to, what happened (e.g medical condition) and how it affected your studies. We also need some evidence confirming the same details, so a letter from a doctor or lecturer for example.

All evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons is assessed on a case by case basis, I would recommend putting as much detail as you can in your cover letter.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending