The Student Room Group

Best academic reputation for Mathematics?

Which of these stands out in academic reputation for mathematics?

Harriet-Watt
Queen Mary
York
Sussex
Cardiff
Glasgow
Leeds
Leicester
Southampton
Reading
Original post by Religion

Harriet-Watt
Queen Mary
York
Sussex
Cardiff
Glasgow
Leeds
Leicester
Southampton
Reading

None of them.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
None of them.

Are they that bad?

I cant find a better place for Maths with A*AE.
(edited 7 years ago)
From that list Leeds ranks the highest which a google search will show. I know some really smart people who went there from my school and I heard it's a great university.
I cant find a better place for Maths with A*AE.

Then consider other factors such as location/environment, options for a year in industry or abroad, and whether you can upgrade to an integrated Masters if you perform well etc.
Reply 5

Harriet-Watt
Queen Mary
York
Sussex
Cardiff
Glasgow
Leeds
Leicester
Southampton
Reading

They all essentially the same rep. However, I'd recommend Cardiff as they have a really nice course structure (plus have more optional modules).
(edited 7 years ago)
None of them are that great, and you won't stand a chance if you want to go into academia or banking. I suggest you take a gap year, resit your E, and apply for some decent unis instead of settling for one of these.
Reply 7
Original post by kkboyk
They allae seentially the same rep. However, I'd recommend Cardiff as they have a really nice course structure (plus have more optional modules).

Do you think there is a big difference academically between these and, for example, Imperial? Wondering if I should just wait a year.
Reply 8
Do you think there is a big difference academically between these and, for example, Imperial? Wondering if I should just wait a year.

Yes and with A*AE you really really should take a year out. Leave the A*A as is, retake the E, and pick up an additional A level.
Reply 9
Original post by Yua
Yes and with A*AE you really really should take a year out. Leave the A*A as is, retake the E, and pick up an additional A level.

The E wasn't really my fault. What about Manchester? They said they would give me an offer if I get a remark to A*AD.
The E really kills your options. Id just retake it.
Are you guys memeing or something? These are all pretty good schools. The best of those is probably Southampton or York.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
The E really kills your options. Id just retake it.

A* in maths and A in further maths, 100% in the core modules. clearly I am capable maths student. I don't see why the E makes a difference to universities,
A* in maths and A in further maths, 100% in the core modules. clearly I am capable maths student. I don't see why the E makes a difference to universities,

Ok you should use that line with admissions.
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
Ok you should use that line with admissions.

The clearing hotline people keep telling me the grades are fixed, should I just ask to speak with the Mathematics department?
Ynfrotunately they demand 3 A levels or UCAS points for a reason. Its going to be a hard sell getting them to accept you on 2 when everyone else has to be judged on 3. Nothing wrong with Leeds but if you wnat Oxbridge etc then you need the other A level.
Reply 16
None of them stand out for mathematics, but they are all perfectly good choices. I'd likely choose York or S'ton. If you retake you risk not receiving offers from a standout university and/or failing to perform adequately in the inevitable entrance exams (STEP, MAT and Durhams new one). Ultimately the choice is yours, but I would consider whether or not another application is worth it.
Reply 17
The E wasn't really my fault. What about Manchester? They said they would give me an offer if I get a remark to A*AD.

Manchester is a very good university, but it depends what you'd like to do career wise.

Again, like I said, I'd retake if I were you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending