The Student Room Group

How much the Govt expects parents to give to children for university

I saw this from Martin a few days a go and thought it was interesting but a bit wordy for essentially deduct loan offered from maximum loan available

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2016/09/02/how-much-are-parents-supposed-to-give-their-children-when-they-go-to-university/

Perhaps a bit of a taboo subject on this forum but do people mind declaring how much financial assistance they get from parents?

I get about 1k worth of help with a car
The interesting question is: what do you do if your parents earn a high income but don't want to help you? There must be some people in that situation.
When I first went, I got nothing from my parents other than a few bits of kitchen equipment. I worked almost full time hours during my A levels so cash wasn't a problem when I started.
At the start my parents paid for flights, housing deposits and any extras I needed for uni while I was still at home, now they pay for those little extras and occasionally an extraneous costs like a new suitcase.

For people who have parents with high income that don't provide funding for them it's still manageable to work during the holidays so you have enough hence the people that struggle without partly being at fault themselves are a minority.
Martin's calculations, in my case, are woefully inadequate. If I add his suggested parental top-up, then accommodation and food is covered, but not living costs such as clothing, toiletries, mobile phone, laundry, travel, plus necessities such as text books, and basic funds for ents. Paid work, to maximum permitted level of 12-15hrs per week, will be essential.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm pretty frugal so I only needed about £1500ish from my parents with the minimum loan.
My loan is plenty I don't need parental help
My parents give me £200 a month
I got a few hundred in help to start up for stuff I needed e.g. bedding, pots and pans and some luxuries

I got £150 a month extra from my dad, fine for me as I lived with my mum so got full loan + bursaries as well

It's a silly system, it's your degree and parents shouldn't be obligated to pay for it... people get by with their overdraft and working
Original post by Jackieox
My parents give me £200 a month

What does that have to cover? Where are you at with accommodation and food costs?
Original post by DrSocSciences
What does that have to cover? Where are you at with accommodation and food costs?

I can cover my rent and I have £22 left over for the three months. The £200 goes towards food, books, any course related trips or any supplies I need for my course. It also covers my travel into work every day.

I also work three jobs which covers my petrol, new clothes, car maintenance, stuff that I WANT. They cover stuff i NEED.

It is alot but they give me and my sister the same and she studies in Bath where things are alot more expensive
Lol, my parents will tell me to get stuffed if I even ask for £1 of financial assistance. Yet, they don't mind spending £££'s on stuff we don't really need. :colonhash:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Lol, my parents will tell me to get stuffed if I even ask for £1 of financial assistance. Yet, they don't mind spending £££'s on stuff we don't really need. :colonhash:

Preparing you for the future
Original post by Jackieox
I can cover my rent and I have £22 left over for the three months. The £200 goes towards food, books, any course related trips or any supplies I need for my course. It also covers my travel into work every day.

I also work three jobs which covers my petrol, new clothes, car maintenance, stuff that I WANT. They cover stuff i NEED.

It is alot but they give me and my sister the same and she studies in Bath where things are alot more expensive

Sounds like you've got it worked out. My son's maintenance loan only covers 50% of his rent and food, so that's a lot of topping up that I'll have to do, plus his own earnings.
Original post by moeeahmed
Preparing you for the future

What, being hypocritical? I meant in my original post, they don't mind buying me anything else. :colonhash:
Reply 15
My parent (only 1 bothered coming) gave me a lift up to uni on the first day. Oh, they also bought me lunch that day.

That was it for assistance. They then sold their house in the UK and moved abroad. *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending