The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

I am going from Gatwick Airport to Cambridge on the 27th, and I am hoping to share a taxi to either Cambridge or to King`s Cross (and then take a train to Cambridge).

Do you know a website where I can match with people for that?
or a Facebook page?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
It's been a long time since I've used Gatwick, but when I did, it was a really awfully long taxi ride from Central London. Unless they've improved that situation, think about a rail link-- unless you've got four trunks you need to not worry about.
Original post by john_z123
I am going from Gatwick Airport to Cambridge on the 27th, and I am hoping to share a taxi to either Cambridge or to King`s Cross (and then take a train to Cambridge).

Do you know a website where I can match with people for that?
or a Facebook page?

Unless your father is the Sultan of Brunei, then I doubt you are going to want to afford a taxi journey from Gatwick to a Cambridge connection station in London. Check out the train service or bus service from the airport into London, then if you have a lot of luggage, maybe taxi from there (Victoria?) to Kings Cross, the railway station for Cambridge.
Haha, yes I know it is quite pricey. But I will be moving with 2 big luggages, and one small. I am not sure how I will be carrying this on the stairs to get to the station.

I looked up a taxi from Gatwick to King's Cross and I can book it online for 65GDP for 2 suitcases and 4 people. If I am to share with someone, I am assuming they have suitcases as well, so that would be 90GDP (to get the bigger car) but for 2 people.

I am just scared of losing my luggage while moving one at a time on the stairs (although it would be tough for someone to just grab one and run with it ://)

Original post by threeportdrift
Unless your father is the Sultan of Brunei, then I doubt you are going to want to afford a taxi journey from Gatwick to a Cambridge connection station in London. Check out the train service or bus service from the airport into London, then if you have a lot of luggage, maybe taxi from there (Victoria?) to Kings Cross, the railway station for Cambridge.
Haha, yes I know it is quite pricey. But I will be moving with 2 big luggages, and one small. I am not sure how I will be carrying this on the stairs to get to the station.

I looked up a taxi from Gatwick to King's Cross and I can book it online for 65GDP for 2 suitcases and 4 people. If I am to share with someone, I am assuming they have suitcases as well, so that would be 90GDP (to get the bigger car) but for 2 people.

I am just scared of losing my luggage while moving one at a time on the stairs (although it would be tough for someone to just grab one and run with it ://)

It's an airport! There will be lifts and baggage trolleys. Far safer to push a trolley and use lifts than trying to hire a taxi with 3 other randomers.

Seriously, try National Express Coaches - that's a bus service that runs all over the country. It's very slow because the routes twiddle about everywhere, but it's easy to take the trolley right up to the coach at Gatwick and you can sit and watch the countryside and get delivered directly to the centre of Cam. And it is really, really cheap.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3165

£65 is really reasonable for that journey. I'm not sure where you're flying in from, but I imagine the last thing you want to do when you have just come off a plane is to trek around London underground with lots of luggage. At least a taxi will drop you directly to your college and save you a lot of stress. You could also get a coach, but I have no experience in getting coaches from Gatwick. I would strongly recommend against going to Kings Cross St Pancras and trying to get the train. It's one of the busiest stations in London and will be traumatic trying to get 3 luggage bags through.
(edited 7 years ago)
65 quid isn't so bad, all things considered. You'd spend close to half that on the train ride from King's Cross, and nearly another 10 for the taxi to your college once you arrived.
Original post by FCB
£65 is really reasonable for that journey. I.

Original post by Camilli
65 quid isn't so bad, all things considered. You'd spend close to half that on the train ride from King's Cross, and nearly another 10 for the taxi to your college once you arrived.

The quote was £65 Gatwick to Kings Cross, the station, train journey and station to College would still need dealing with.
Reply 3168
The quote was £65 Gatwick to Kings Cross, the station, train journey and station to College would still need dealing with.

Oh my. Definitely do not get a taxi into central London. Can you get a quote for Gatwick to Cambridge?
Oh, curse you smart Cambridge people for knowing how to read. :tongue:
Original post by Camilli
Oh, curse you smart Cambridge people for knowing how to read. :tongue:

Worry not, when you get there you'll learn, and they teach you joined up handwriting and all sorts of clever stuff! :wink:
I still haven't received anything concerning setting up IT accounts despite being confirmed for about a month now. Is there anything I should have done? Moving in at the end of the week so I'm going to need them soon...
Original post by justanotherone-
I still haven't received anything concerning setting up IT accounts despite being confirmed for about a month now. Is there anything I should have done? Moving in at the end of the week so I'm going to need them soon...

I was in exactly the same situation so I emailed student registration and they apologised for the delay and gave me details on how to sent up the email account.

I'll PM you their response.
Here's hoping they stay disorganized about this for a while longer. They've been threatening to cut off former students all summer.
Original post by Saliency
I was in exactly the same situation so I emailed student registration and they apologised for the delay and gave me details on how to sent up the email account.

I did exactly the same and received the same response as you! I emailed them on Friday night and they replied me back quite quickly on Tuesday.Not sure if they have to activate something beforehand but sending them a quick email wouldn't hurt :wink:
Original post by Saliency

Thanks again :smile: Wish Cambridge was a -bit- more organised with this stuff but to be fair it must be a nightmare to get all of this done with so many new students
Original post by justanotherone-
Thanks again :smile: Wish Cambridge was a -bit- more organised with this stuff but to be fair it must be a nightmare to get all of this done with so many new students

It's also a feature of having three layers of organisation - 'the University', the Department and the College. There are looser and tighter relationships and expectations between them, and once you are there, it becomes more apparent who is responsible for what, and why, but from the outside, how do you know if your email is run by College, department or university? Who is going to ask for your money? etc etc.

The Colleges are independent organisations and some guard that independence very jealously. It's hard for the University to 'force' the Colleges to act in a single manner with regard to timings, styles, processes etc.

You haven't even met things like - the week starts on a Thursday in Cambridge (apart from the Administrative week, that starts on Tuesday). And the first week of term is week 0, the second week is week 1 etc .... You think it's been confusing so far!
Hi guys
So both Mphil courses I'm interested in ( Mphil Clinical Neuroscience + Mphil Basic Neurosciences ) are said to be 12 month long ( 1st Oct 17 - 1st Oct 18 )

Just wondering if I actually will be only allowed to finish/leave Cambridge on the 1st Oct 18, not earlier???
Mphil Clinical Neuroscience is purely research based. Does it depend on how early I submit my thesis? Then just wait to come back for the viva?

Mphil Basic Neurosciences is half taught half research. Does it mean I will finish as soon as I've done my assesments and submitted my thesis?

Thanks guys
Hello Everyone! I posted this in another thread specifically for 2017 applicants, but since I have not received any replies I thought I would post on here as well. I am applying for PhD in History and was wondering if anyone here can give me some insight into a few of the colleges. The ones I am interested in knowing more about are Johns, Selwyn, Sidney Sussex, Emmanuel, St. Catharines, Pembroke, and Clare. I do not mind if the college is strong in my subject, what I care most about is the graduate environment, some sense of tradition (good formals, for instance), size (not too small, but still has an intimate/close atmosphere), good welfare provisions, and an active graduate community. I have looked at their websites but it would be nice to hear from people who have some sort of personal experience! Also, feel free to recommend any colleges that I have not included if you feel they fit my description :smile:
Original post by marmar191
Hello Everyone! I posted this in another thread specifically for 2017 applicants, but since I have not received any replies I thought I would post on here as well. I am applying for PhD in History and was wondering if anyone here can give me some insight into a few of the colleges. The ones I am interested in knowing more about are Johns, Selwyn, Sidney Sussex, Emmanuel, St. Catharines, Pembroke, and Clare. I do not mind if the college is strong in my subject, what I care most about is the graduate environment, some sense of tradition (good formals, for instance), size (not too small, but still has an intimate/close atmosphere), good welfare provisions, and an active graduate community. I have looked at their websites but it would be nice to hear from people who have some sort of personal experience! Also, feel free to recommend any colleges that I have not included if you feel they fit my description :smile:

They've all got those things. Really, the only difference between the Colleges is their architecture. Their location in town soon becomes relatively minor because the town is actually quite small, most people are moving around to wherever you want to meet, and everything is in easy walking distance, grad accommodation often isn't in the main College site anyway. You don't know which clubs you are going join, who your friends are going to be, who you are going to fall in love with etc etc. So picking a College because the scarf looks nice is just as valid as creating endless spreadsheets about book budgets, room sizes etc etc. Only about 25% of grads get their first choice of College anyway.

We nearly all end up saying our own College is best (so it's Selwyn, obvs!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending