The Student Room Group

A Level History Coursework Help

I've never really used The Student Room before so I'm not sure if I've placed my question in the right area but oh well. My Alevel History question is "To what extent was religion the primary cause of the English Civil War?"
How do I structure the essay? I'm struggling to create an introduction.
Thanks
Original post by AssaultTrifle
I've never really used The Student Room before so I'm not sure if I've placed my question in the right area but oh well. My Alevel History question is "To what extent was religion the primary cause of the English Civil War?"
How do I structure the essay? I'm struggling to create an introduction.
Thanks

In your introduction you'll want to think about what the other causes were and outline them, and perhaps briefly talk about your hypothesis too :smile: Then do a paragraph on each of the causes, linking and evaluating them as you go. In your conclusion you'll then link back to your intro hypothesis, summarise and evaluate all of the factors and answer the question.

Is this your A2 personal study coursework?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gingerbread101
In your introduction you'll want to think about what the other causes were and outline them, and perhaps briefly talk about your hypothesis too :smile: Then do a paragraph on each of the causes, linking and evaluating them as you go. In your conclusion you'll then link back to your intro hypothesis, summarise and evaluate all of the factors and answer the question.

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes it is for my personal study, thanks for helping me with the structure I appreciate it. If you have any other pointers then I'd love to hear them.
Thanks

you should have clearly shown TS how to come up with an essay format instead of typing out a reply in the way you did. otherwise how would you know if TS has gone away having understood your solution correctly? and if he does badly in the essay will you be able and willing to be held accountable for the low mark given to him?
Do you have to evaluate different historians' opinions, too? I'm currently doing my coursework and we have to research 3 historians with 2 different sources & make a judgement based on those opinions & our own.

If not, I actually have a blog with some exam essays on (but it's on a different topic). :smile:

The main things to put in your introduction:
- outline a clear argument, e.g. if you agree or disagree with the question. This is pretty important for an intro - be quite straight to the point.
- briefly mention other factors/causes of the civil war (so what topics your paragraphs are going to cover).

For the first paragraph, support the question. So talk about why religion was the cause. Make sure you stick to the question - I do that by making sure the first and last sentence of each paragraph links back to the question (so "I believe that religion was the cause because.....(religion led to disputes, or whatever your argument is) therefore, religion was the most important cause of the civil war.

For the next couple of paragraphs, mention the other causes and if you think they're a bigger cause than religion or not.

Then the conclusion is to bring your whole argument together, explaining whether or not you think religion was the main cause & your own opinion.

(Sorry, I don't know anything about the civil war haha! But I hope that helped) :smile:

www.alevelhistoryblog.wordpress.com

:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Audrey18
you should have clearly shown TS how to come up with an essay format instead of typing out a reply in the way you did. otherwise how would you know if TS has gone away having understood your solution correctly? and if he does badly in the essay will you be able and willing to be held accountable for the low mark given to him?

...What?
(edited 7 years ago)

It's alright, I just wanted a rough structure. I'll ask my teacher for an in depth one when I get back to school. I don't think I'll fail on the basis of a person telling me the wrong format 6 months before it's needed to be handed in but oh well.
Original post by Lauren-x-
Do you have to evaluate different historians' opinions, too? I'm currently doing my coursework and we have to research 3 historians with 2 different sources & make a judgement based on those opinions & our own.

If not, I actually have a blog with some exam essays on (but it's on a different topic). :smile:

The main things to put in your introduction:
- outline a clear argument, e.g. if you agree or disagree with the question. This is pretty important for an intro - be quite straight to the point.
- briefly mention other factors/causes of the civil war (so what topics your paragraphs are going to cover).

For the first paragraph, support the question. So talk about why religion was the cause. Make sure you stick to the question - I do that by making sure the first and last sentence of each paragraph links back to the question (so "I believe that religion was the cause because.....(religion led to disputes, or whatever your argument is) therefore, religion was the most important cause of the civil war.

For the next couple of paragraphs, mention the other causes and if you think they're a bigger cause than religion or not.

Then the conclusion is to bring your whole argument together, explaining whether or not you think religion was the main cause & your own opinion.

(Sorry, I don't know anything about the civil war haha! But I hope that helped) :smile:

www.alevelhistoryblog.wordpress.com

:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks this was really helpful, it's seems like your standard essay structure then.
Thanks again
It's alright, I just wanted a rough structure. I'll ask my teacher for an in depth one when I get back to school. I don't think I'll fail on the basis of a person telling me the wrong format 6 months before it's needed to be handed in but oh well.

I can add to my original advice given that it's your coursework (when I did my one I achieved very close to full marks).

My structure was this:
- Intro: outline the debate and define any key words, showing how you will judge the question
- Main body paragraphs: I did 5 main paragraphs, each on a different theme/area of the debate. (Mine was on Cromwell's Irish campaign so they were whether there were many civilian deaths in Drogheda; whether these were intentional; whether Cromwell was to blame for deaths at Wexford; whether the actions can be considered brutal in the context of the time; whether Cromwell's motives affected his methods). In each of these I went back and forwards between the arguments and counter arguments, backing up my points with historians and analysing the validity of the historian viewpoints, as well as linking back to the original question
- Conclusion: weighing up both arguments and bringing together the key point from each of the paragraphs to reach a decision on the question
Thanks this was really helpful, it's seems like your standard essay structure then.
Thanks again

Np! Sorry that I waffled on & it was a bit late. Good luck with it! :smile:
I can add to my original advice given that it's your coursework (when I did my one I achieved very close to full marks).

My structure was this:
- Intro: outline the debate and define any key words, showing how you will judge the question
- Main body paragraphs: I did 5 main paragraphs, each on a different theme/area of the debate. (Mine was on Cromwell's Irish campaign so they were whether there were many civilian deaths in Drogheda; whether these were intentional; whether Cromwell was to blame for deaths at Wexford; whether the actions can be considered brutal in the context of the time; whether Cromwell's motives affected his methods). In each of these I went back and forwards between the arguments and counter arguments, backing up my points with historians and analysing the validity of the historian viewpoints, as well as linking back to the original question
- Conclusion: weighing up both arguments and bringing together the key point from each of the paragraphs to reach a decision on the question

Thank you this is really helpful :smile:
Did you do yours on the causes of the English Civil War as well?
I have a few books as of right now and I've yet to see some of the facts that you wrote about in any of the books .
Thank you this is really helpful :smile:
Did you do yours on the causes of the English Civil War as well?
I have a few books as of right now and I've yet to see some of the facts that you wrote about in any of the books .

so you see, if not for my interjection you would not have gotten a clearer more helpful answer to your question. thanks for the rep though :smile:
so you see, if not for my interjection you would not have gotten a clearer more helpful answer to your question. thanks for the rep though :smile:

I do not know what you're talking about but no problem I guess :smile:
Hey, I did a coursework piece that was very similar to this! When I was studying, I found this useful piece of work online, you do have to pay for it, which is a bit annoying, but it's basically a summary of parliamentary disputes in the civil war. Thought I'd post in case someone finds it helpful http://www.stuvia.com/doc/270257

Best of luck with everything :smile:
could someone please help me, im doing my coursework on: "assess the reasons Elizabeth i remained unmarried"
im not sure how to plan or structure my essay,i feel like im doing it all wrong. im currently on 1500/4000 words but i feel like i haven't made any real convincing arguments but rather just told a story.i know there are so many reasons which i can talk about but i dont know how to structure my essay.

if anyone could please share their plan with me or how you structure your paragraphs (techniques like P.E.E.L.)i would appreciate it very much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending