Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FusionNetworks
Offer from Manchester!! I thought the interview was terrible:biggrin:

That was quick, congrats!!
Original post by FusionNetworks
Offer from Manchester!! I thought the interview was terrible:biggrin:

Congratulations!
Don't worry too much about ChemEngGrad. He's a lifelong pessimist. The world is always going to need chemical engineers. I think at the moment it is lower because neither the oil nor alternative energy sectors are booming.
Original post by richardhello
Don't worry too much about ChemEngGrad. He's a lifelong pessimist. The world is always going to need chemical engineers. I think at the moment it is lower because neither the oil nor alternative energy sectors are booming.

I think I'm more of a new born pessimist with a 1st Class ChemEng degree, speaking on behalf of several hundred unemployed/underemployed graduate chemical engineers.

See the links Sean Moran posted, read the articles published in TCE recently about the graduate recruitment issues and don't be ignorant to these facts and you might be in a better position than me and many others in 5 years time.
Original post by ChemEngGrad
I think I'm more of a new born pessimist with a 1st Class ChemEng degree, speaking on behalf of several hundred unemployed/underemployed graduate chemical engineers.

See the links Sean Moran posted, read the articles published in TCE recently about the graduate recruitment issues and don't be ignorant to these facts and you might be in a better position than me and many others in 5 years time.

Which uni did you graduate from?

You went to Leeds, pipe down...

Hey man, did you do a placement year?
Yeah and I got the grades and offers from Manchester, Bath etc too? Might not have got an offer Fromm Imperial but based on academics there's no reason I couldn't have.

Why did you not choose those those Unis then, there is not point complaining about the graduate prospects when you could have gone to those Unis that have better links to industry, stop putting people off doing Chemical Engineering!
Original post by timster32
Why did you not choose those those Unis then, there is not point complaining about the graduate prospects when you could have gone to those Unis that have better links to industry, stop putting people off doing Chemical Engineering!

Remember ChemEng was a very different thing when I was looking at universities. Every course had similar structure, employability stats and claimed to have industry links with XYZ companies.

I think you're being unfair to discredit my uni, like I've said before there are a few people that have done ok out of it, and levels of intelligence will be comparable to everywhere except Imperial/Oxbridge. My argument is that far fewer people are doing well out of it now than before, and it's significantly more competitive than the out-of-date picture that's still painted.
Remember ChemEng was a very different thing when I was looking at universities. Every course had similar structure, employability stats and claimed to have industry links with XYZ companies.

I think you're being unfair to discredit my uni, like I've said before there are a few people that have done ok out of it, and levels of intelligence will be comparable to everywhere except Imperial/Oxbridge. My argument is that far fewer people are doing well out of it now than before, and it's significantly more competitive than the out-of-date picture that's still painted.

I apologise.
Yeah and I got the grades and offers from Manchester, Bath etc too? Might not have got an offer from Imperial but based on academics there's no reason I couldn't have.

I thought you went to Newcastle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applying to Birmingham for Meng as my firm
predicted A*A*A in maths chemistry and physics respectively. Who else is applying to Birmingham
Original post by Chemgawd99
predicted A*A*A in maths chemistry and physics respectively. Who else is applying to Birmingham

I am!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too

The entry requirements are crazy. I wish id kept further maths thooo

Same predicteds and same firm choice!
The entry requirements are crazy. I wish id kept further maths thooo

I'm doing chemistry, maths and further maths. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage because I kept further maths as my 3rd and not physics? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
I'm doing chemistry, maths and further maths. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage because I kept further maths as my 3rd and not physics? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I didn't do Further Maths or Physics, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by munchkin1212

Posted from TSR Mobile

No real disadvantage, further maths is very useful for chem eng, if you have done M1 and M2 there is no real disadvantage at all for you
Bit late but ah well.

GCSE's - 1A*, 7A's and 2B's
AS - AAAA in maths, bio, chem and physics respectively
A2 Prediction - A*AA

Applied - Imperial, UCL, Queen Mary's, Bath and Aston (Insurance)

Would you say that with a good ps and reference Imperial or UCL would consider me??

Quick Reply

Latest