The Student Room Group

Is this a good reference?

will'o'wisp has a natural affinity for Maths and with two A grades in the core modules and a good B in the mechanics he is expected to ge tan A in his A level exam. He is always keen to address any problems that arise in class, and he will often bring his own work to the teacher in order to gain clarification. He has certainly shown a good ability to work independently, and he completed many past=papers before the AS exams. will'o'wisp has studied FP1 in his own time and has become very competent, and he has studied some topics within the S1 course. His written work is good; he generally scores very well on routine problems and more challenging questions.

In Chemistry, will'o'wisp has tackled the course with a determined interest. His attitude to study has developed and matured throughout the course preparing him well for University. He works with increasing confidence in his skills and even though he has found some concepts challenging he has been determined to get to grips with with these aspects of the course. He listens to advice and shows that he is acting on it. He gives careful consideration to his answers and asks useful questions. His practical skills are good and continue to improve.

will'o'wisp is a hardworking student in Philosophy, keen to do whatever is necessary in order to achieve his full potential. He responds well to feedback, and will graft at an essay in order to improve it. He has an excellent understanding of philosophy, and produces essays that are clearly the result of extra reading and determined effort. In class he listens well to others, and will not share his opinion until lit is fully developed. He is a conscientious young man who will work hard at whatever he decides to put his mind to. He readily seeks to improve his performance and asks for guidance then acts upon it.

As a prefect in the boarding house, will'o'wisp is pleasant and caring to the younger students. He is happy to get stuck into tasks and uses his intuition to solve problems. As a mature student, he has great empathy for other and is clam under pressure. He has grown in resilience and had to face challenging circumstances as a teenager. He has shown terrific strength of character.He has a strong sense of independent learning and is capable of pushing his own boundaries forward. He is punctual and diligent and shows a love of maths which he has communicated as a mentor for students struggling with the subject. He demonstrated commitment and organisation by regularly attending school homework club, helping them with their work and supervising groups. He gave valuable help to students, demonstrating communication skills and an ability to articulate ideas clearly. This was totally a voluntary commitment and befitted the students enormously..

will'o'wisp's interest and attitude to work mean that he has a lot to offer a mathematics course. He is a hard working, organised and polite young man. He shows and excellent attitude to work, wanting to improve his understanding by asking plenty of clear and directed questions and he has a particular interest in maths and he shows a determination to succeed. We think that will'o'wisp will make a success on a degree course in maths and commend him to you.

So is this one of the worse references? or just mediocrely disappointing? or simply average?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by will'o'wisp
will'o'wisp has a natural affinity for Maths and with two A grades in the core modules and a good B in the mechanics he is expected to ge tan A in his A level exam. He is always keen to address any problems that arise in class, and he will often bring his own work to the teacher in order to gain clarification. He has certainly shown a good ability to work independently, and he completed many past=papers before the AS exams. will'o'wisp has studied FP1 in his own time and has become very competent, and he has studied some topics within the S1 course. His written work is good; he generally scores very well on routine problems and more challenging questions.

In Chemistry, will'o'wisp has tackled the course with a determined interest. His attitude to study has developed and matured throughout the course preparing him well for University. He works with increasing confidence in his skills and even though he has found some concepts challenging he has been determined to get to grips with with these aspects of the course. He listens to advice and shows that he is acting on it. He gives careful consideration to his answers and asks useful questions. His practical skills are good and continue to improve.

will'o'wisp is a hardworking student in Philosophy, keen to do whatever is necessary in order to achieve his full potential. He responds well to feedback, and will graft at an essay in order to improve it. He has an excellent understanding of philosophy, and produces essays that are clearly the result of extra reading and determined effort. In class he listens well to others, and will not share his opinion until lit is fully developed. He is a conscientious young man who will work hard at whatever he decides to put his mind to. He readily seeks to improve his performance and asks for guidance then acts upon it.

As a prefect in the boarding house, will'o'wisp is pleasant and caring to the younger students. He is happy to get stuck into tasks and uses his intuition to solve problems. As a mature student, he has great empathy for other and is clam under pressure. He has grown in resilience and had to face challenging circumstances as a teenager. He has shown terrific strength of character.He has a strong sense of independent learning and is capable of pushing his own boundaries forward. He is punctual and diligent and shows a love of maths which he has communicated as a mentor for students struggling with the subject. He demonstrated commitment and organisation by regularly attending school homework club, helping them with their work and supervising groups. He gave valuable help to students, demonstrating communication skills and an ability to articulate ideas clearly. This was totally a voluntary commitment and befitted the students enormously..

will'o'wisp's interest and attitude to work mean that he has a lot to offer a mathematics course. He is a hard working, organised and polite young man. He shows and excellent attitude to work, wanting to improve his understanding by asking plenty of clear and directed questions and he has a particular interest in maths and he shows a determination to succeed. We think that will'o'wisp will make a success on a degree course in maths and commend him to you.

So is this one of the worse references? or just mediocrely disappointing? or simply average?

:s-smilie:

Granted, I have seen very little references as I am a student but to me that comes across really well.. it talks about how hard you work, how you've volunteered, your enthusiasm for your subjects, not just maths.. and there is honestly nothing negative in there.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
:s-smilie:

Granted, I have seen very little references as I am a student but to me that comes across really well.. it talks about how hard you work, how you've volunteered, your enthusiasm for your subjects, not just maths.. and there is honestly nothing negative in there.

hmmmm
Reply 3
Such a shame UCAS doesn't use plagiarism detection for references...
Original post by jneill

PRSOM

And it was posted 19 hours ago - I imagine the chances of its being indexed by Google by now are fairly high.
Reply 5
Original post by jneill

o.O
Original post by Reality Check
PRSOM

And it was posted 19 hours ago - I imagine the chances of its being indexed by Google by now are fairly high.

oh no ;_;
o.O

oh no ;_;

Best get typing again...
Reply 7
Best get typing again...

What shoulds i do ? :/
Reply 8
What shoulds i do ? :/

Type a new one, that's the suggested advice.
Reply 9
Original post by Tubbz
Type a new one, that's the suggested advice.

;_; write my own reference? o.o
;_; write my own reference? o.o

Typing an email to your referee asking pretty please...
Typing an email to your referee asking pretty please...

why o.o
Reply 12
You don't need to retype anything. If you re-read my post I said they *don't* check references for plagiarism.
Original post by jneill
You don't need to retype anything. If you re-read my post I said they *don't* check references for plagiarism.

o.o i see
I really like it! It gets across how you work independently and are good for university life! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending