The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2017 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi! I'm applying for Adult Nursing at Hull University, currently studying my NVQ Health and Social Care. I sent my application off today so I'm hoping to hear back soon!
Original post by dorababy1995
Well, I'm not going to Cambridge for my BA. I got an email from them on Monday saying they aren't inviting me for interview. The official decision hasn't appeared on track yet, but now I know what to expect. My achieved grades do meet the entry requirements and I did have a good PS and reference (I know this because I've appleid before, got an interview, then a pool interview and then got rejected. It was the admissions tutor at my original college who said my UCAS was "impressive", but I ended up applying to the same college I was pooled to last time because I had no choice (it's a long story), and that didn't help.

If they think they've managed to get rid of me, though, they're sorely mistaken because I'm going to apply again ! I'm hopefully going to apply again for an MPhil in 4 years with a good degree from Durham, UCL or Exeter! I've yet to hear back from any of these unis, although I'm still working on the questionnaire UCL sent me, which is why they still haven't made a decision.

Try not to take it personally, I'm sure they had good reasons for not accepting you and I’m equally sure that they'd be very pleased to consider you for an MPhil in 4 years' time. Durham and UCL are arguably just as good as Cambridge for English, if you can get an offer from one of them then you will still receive a great education.
Original post by Snufkin
Try not to take it personally, I'm sure they had good reasons for not accepting you and I’m equally sure that they'd be very pleased to consider you for an MPhil in 4 years' time. Durham and UCL are arguably just as good as Cambridge for English, if you can get an offer from one of them then you will still receive a great education.

Yes, I know! It's the tutorials I used to think I wouldn't get at UCL or Durham, but after having a closer look at the course descriptions, ...
Original post by Quiet _One86
I'm yet to complete my ucas forms..only putting down one option. Is that wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's completely up to you. Are you positive that the uni will make you an offer? If not try and find some more unis in your area.
So yesterday I had my second interview for Adult Nursing. My first was last Friday and I received my offer on Tuesday. Yesterday was at my first choice uni, and I was having a fantastic day, flying through the literacy and numeracy tests, then doing well in the group activity. I got on well with the other applicants and even went for lunch with 2 of them. But after lunch the individual interviews started to get behind and I ended up going in 30 minutes late. By that time I was so nervous I completely ruined my interview. I froze, I stumbled over the questions (even the really easy ones like "why do you want to be a nurse?") I cringe now thinking back to that 15 minutes and I'm so so upset that I've managed to ruin my chance to get into my first choice uni. Not only that but I no longer have any interest in studying anywhere else. Keele is where my heart is, and so today I withdrew my application from Uni of Manchester and Birmingham City. I didn't feel it was fair to waste their time because I know for a fact I won't go there. So now I'm sitting here feeling sick with worrying about the outcome and wondering whether my performance throughout the rest of the day was enough to get me through. I'm 34 now, will be 35 next september when I was hoping to start, so although I could apply again next year, I feel it's so late in my life to start this and I am so ready right now. I have another interview scheduled and I'm just trying to work out whether, should I be unsuccessful at Keele, to go somewhere else for the first year (I already have an offer) and transfer in to year 2, or cut my losses, withdraw and apply only to Keele next year. Sorry this is so long, I'm just really gutted right now.
In my experience Keele is so understanding and the politest uni I've ever dealt with. They're not going to think that you're stupid or incapable for tripping over your interview - they'll know you were nervous. Definitely don't give up hope yet ☺️ if you're unsuccessful I would take the other offer and then seek to transfer rather than take another year! You're still going to come out as a nurse and have a great career whatever happens :smile:
Original post by Barkergirl
So yesterday I had my second interview for Adult Nursing. My first was last Friday and I received my offer on Tuesday. Yesterday was at my first choice uni, and I was having a fantastic day, flying through the literacy and numeracy tests, then doing well in the group activity. I got on well with the other applicants and even went for lunch with 2 of them. But after lunch the individual interviews started to get behind and I ended up going in 30 minutes late. By that time I was so nervous I completely ruined my interview. I froze, I stumbled over the questions (even the really easy ones like "why do you want to be a nurse?":wink: I cringe now thinking back to that 15 minutes and I'm so so upset that I've managed to ruin my chance to get into my first choice uni. Not only that but I no longer have any interest in studying anywhere else. Keele is where my heart is, and so today I withdrew my application from Uni of Manchester and Birmingham City. I didn't feel it was fair to waste their time because I know for a fact I won't go there. So now I'm sitting here feeling sick with worrying about the outcome and wondering whether my performance throughout the rest of the day was enough to get me through. I'm 34 now, will be 35 next september when I was hoping to start, so although I could apply again next year, I feel it's so late in my life to start this and I am so ready right now. I have another interview scheduled and I'm just trying to work out whether, should I be unsuccessful at Keele, to go somewhere else for the first year (I already have an offer) and transfer in to year 2, or cut my losses, withdraw and apply only to Keele next year. Sorry this is so long, I'm just really gutted right now.

I'm sure they'll understand but I don't think withdrawing was very vise. At the end of the day, all the unis you have applied for are good and will get you a degree in the end.
Original post by imherpacifier
I'm sure they'll understand but I don't think withdrawing was very vise. At the end of the day, all the unis you have applied for are good and will get you a degree in the end.

I've only withdrawn from those 2. I have 1 offer and another interview scheduled at my second choice so I'm going to make sure I ace that one.
Original post by epsilondelta
In my experience Keele is so understanding and the politest uni I've ever dealt with. They're not going to think that you're stupid or incapable for tripping over your interview - they'll know you were nervous. Definitely don't give up hope yet ☺️ if you're unsuccessful I would take the other offer and then seek to transfer rather than take another year! You're still going to come out as a nurse and have a great career whatever happens :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply. You made me feel better about it. I certainly hope theyll see my capabilites instead of just my nerves. I also have an interview at my second choice in 2 weeks so I will do my best and hope for an offer from both.
Well, I'm not going to Cambridge for my BA. I got an email from them on Monday saying they aren't inviting me for interview. The official decision hasn't appeared on track yet, but now I know what to expect. My achieved grades do meet the entry requirements and I did have a good PS and reference (I know this because I've appleid before, got an interview, then a pool interview and then got rejected. It was the admissions tutor at my original college who said my UCAS was "impressive", but I ended up applying to the same college I was pooled to last time because I had no choice (it's a long story), and that didn't help.

If they think they've managed to get rid of me, though, they're sorely mistaken because I'm going to apply again ! I'm hopefully going to apply again for an MPhil in 4 years with a good degree from Durham, UCL or Exeter! I've yet to hear back from any of these unis, although I'm still working on the questionnaire UCL sent me, which is why they still haven't made a decision.

Update: I saw it on track yesterday.
Original post by imherpacifier
It's completely up to you. Are you positive that the uni will make you an offer? If not try and find some more unis in your area.

Yes I'm pretty sure. I'd be a disabled student, and access to Uni for me and near home locality is imperative. Thus I can come home if need be. Stay on campus if required as/when. I've looked at other university near me but they don't cover the same course. I've forgotten how laborious form filling is :smile:
Reply 71
What can we call you? Elise

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?
Currently not studying but studied childcare at college

What do you plan on studying at Uni?
Child nursing

Which Uni's are you looking at applying to?
Northumbria, teeside, york, hull

If you want to say, how old are you?
turning 22 on friday

Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams?
Really hoping to get a place. Would love to be a scbu nurse or go on for pgdip and become a health visitor.
What can we call you?
Jess
What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni? Access To HE: Social Science

What do you plan on studying at Uni?
Politics and IR

Which Uni's are you looking at applying to?
Liverpool, York, Coventry, Chester and NTU

If you want to say, how old are you?
20 but will be 21 before starting Uni.

Original post by Barkergirl
So yesterday I had my second interview for Adult Nursing. My first was last Friday and I received my offer on Tuesday. Yesterday was at my first choice uni, and I was having a fantastic day, flying through the literacy and numeracy tests, then doing well in the group activity. I got on well with the other applicants and even went for lunch with 2 of them. But after lunch the individual interviews started to get behind and I ended up going in 30 minutes late. By that time I was so nervous I completely ruined my interview. I froze, I stumbled over the questions (even the really easy ones like "why do you want to be a nurse?":wink: I cringe now thinking back to that 15 minutes and I'm so so upset that I've managed to ruin my chance to get into my first choice uni. Not only that but I no longer have any interest in studying anywhere else. Keele is where my heart is, and so today I withdrew my application from Uni of Manchester and Birmingham City. I didn't feel it was fair to waste their time because I know for a fact I won't go there. So now I'm sitting here feeling sick with worrying about the outcome and wondering whether my performance throughout the rest of the day was enough to get me through. I'm 34 now, will be 35 next september when I was hoping to start, so although I could apply again next year, I feel it's so late in my life to start this and I am so ready right now. I have another interview scheduled and I'm just trying to work out whether, should I be unsuccessful at Keele, to go somewhere else for the first year (I already have an offer) and transfer in to year 2, or cut my losses, withdraw and apply only to Keele next year. Sorry this is so long, I'm just really gutted right now.

Hi @Barkergirl - Like some others have said, it won't be just the individual interviews that are taken into account, your performance in the tests and other elements of the interview day will also count, so try not to worry too much. Have you been in touch with the nursing admissions team to explain your nerves? It might be worth letting them know - I am sure they will have interviewed candidates who have been very nervous before. Hope this helps - and if you have any other questions, please let us know - we have a small team here to help.
Sam - Digital Team
Original post by Quiet _One86
I'm yet to complete my ucas forms..only putting down one option. Is that wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally would maximise your options (and chances) by using all six choices.
Yes, I know! It's the tutorials I used to think I wouldn't get at UCL or Durham, but after having a closer look at the course descriptions, ...

As you know, Durham and UCL's tutorial system isn't quite the same as having weekly supervisions at Cambridge, but you could always try applying for an M.Phil. after your undergrad.

Did you ask for any feedback on your second Cambridge application?
Original post by Reality Check
As you know, Durham and UCL's tutorial system isn't quite the same as having weekly supervisions at Cambridge, but you could always try applying for an M.Phil. after your undergrad.

Did you ask for any feedback on your second Cambridge application?

Well, the one at UCL looks very similar, although the tutorials are fortnightly.

I did last time, but not this time.
Well, the one at UCL looks very similar, although the tutorials are fortnightly.

I did last time, but not this time.

Ok. Maybe Cambridge isn't for you after all - I'm sure UCL will be perfectly adequate should you get a place there.
Original post by Reality Check
Ok. Maybe Cambridge isn't for you after all - I'm sure UCL will be perfectly adequate should you get a place there.

Well, but it is, just not yet! The admissions tutor said in my feedback that I should "at least consider applying to [them] as a postgraduate student, followed by a BA degree elsewhere.". (and I will!)
Well, but it is, just not yet! The admissions tutor said in my feedback that I should "at least consider applying to [them] as a postgraduate student, followed by a BA degree elsewhere.". (and I will!)

That's interesting. Was there anything in the feedback to indicate why they didn't want you as an undergraduate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending