The Student Room Group

Is it possible for someone to hack into your webcam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Naruke
You want to experiment :colone: jk

Do you understand how internet security packages work?

They scan files for malicious code. A unencrypted virus will easily get picked up because the code used is in a blacklisted database. However, a virus which has been encrypted, meaning the code used for the virus has been encrypted using a sophisticated algorithm. Most viruses that have been encrypted stay FUD (Fully undetectable) for about a week.

Don't believe me, see for yourself https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=darkcomet+trolling

TSR is opening my eyes and teaching me about safety and life. :puppyeyes:
Original post by Kravence
No, not powered. Controlled by software.

It's very possible and is being actively used on people now.

No wiring of any sort is required.

If it's being used on people, that's because their laptop or cam is a little old or very cheap and probably doesn't even have a light. I fix computers and laptops for part-time work (not just saying that lol, I've said so many times on here :wink: ), the lights typically work the same way as any powerlight - there's a wire running to the light that comes on when power is delivered to the cam. The light cannot be individually controlled or disabled.
To those saying viruses would be detected:

Many cameras are networked, i.e. have an Internet-facing interface. This is so you don't have to have a wire running between your computer and your webcam, baby monitor, CCTV, etc - you can access the camera from your computer or phone.

The bad news is that many networked/IP cameras use either no password or the default password.

The worse news is that there are simple ways to detect all networked cameras in any given city. London has over 400,000 CCTV cameras alone. This isn't counting privately owned in-office cameras, webcams, and so on.

No viruses to detect. Clean and simple.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by l'etranger
Because it's not like modern anti-virus packages can scan for coding of a suspicious nature and determine that it's likely malicious even if it's not on the database or anything. It's just a database and nothing else, change the file name and you can break in. :rolleyes: This thread is the computing equivalent of some A level student moaning about the sample sizes used in academic papers which have been rigorously determined by professional statisticians, who have a thorough knowledge of the law of large numbers and the central limit theorem and a load of stupid girlies just lapping up the ******** because they think some fatass neckbeard actually cares enough about seeing them naked.

Not very well. Malware is written with AV detection in mind. If you won't take it from us why not simply google what AV companies themselves have to say? Obviously they're not going to say 'oh look, don't buy our product' but they'll show you what exactly they're trying to detect and why it's difficult to do so.
Original post by EC

Stay away and keep your innocence :lol:
Original post by Abdukazam
Not very well. Malware is written with AV detection in mind. If you won't take it from us why not simply google what AV companies themselves have to say? Obviously they're not going to say 'oh look, don't buy our product' but they'll show you what exactly they're trying to detect and why it's difficult to do so.

I'm not gonna take it from you because it's ridiculous to think every one of the guys here throwing out jargon is a computer expert, the average CS undergrad at a top university could not pull off any of this **** so I'll be damned if I believe the kids in this thread are going to do it.
Original post by WoodyMKC
If it's being used on people, that's because their laptop or cam is a little old or very cheap and probably doesn't even have a light. I fix computers and laptops for part-time work (not just saying that lol, I've said so many times on here :wink: ), the lights typically work the same way as any powerlight - there's a wire running to the light that comes on when power is delivered to the cam. The light cannot be individually controlled or disabled.

http://blog.erratasec.com/2013/12/how-to-disable-webcam-light-on-windows.html#.WHFfAlyQLmh

>implying every device is designed to be the same
Original post by WoodyMKC
Nope, in modern laptops and webcams, the light isn't powered by software, so it's not possible. If power is delivered to the camera, power is also automatically delivered to the light. You can't modify that without actually opening up the laptop or camera and messing around with the wiring.

There are many ways to hack a webcam why do you think that even Mark Zuckerburg (inventor of Facebook) does this, because he knows chances are almost every webcam in the world is hacked by someone.
main-qimg-45ece406f3e83a39d56d4e1593512cc3-c.jpg
Reply 68
Original post by EC

That's good

There was a case a few years back, a hacker kept on blackmailing this girl. He threatened to release pictures he captured through her webcam. After a while, she couldn't take it and ...
I'm not gonna take it from you because it's ridiculous to think every one of the guys here throwing out jargon is a computer expert, the average CS undergrad at a top university could not pull off any of this **** so I'll be damned if I believe the kids in this thread are going to do it.

You're the best man :france:
Reply 70
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Just curious. Could someone potentially hack into your laptop's webcam and then spy on you/observe you through it from their computer? :colonhash:
So I could be being watched right now as I type this?

I have 283 videos of you masturbating and 157 pictures of you with your fingers up your nose.

Gimme de monies now, or... :deal:
Reply 71

Would you like me to link you a forum?

Just like this one, but made for hackers.

You can read first hand what talks and tutorials are like...
Because it's not like modern anti-virus packages can scan for coding of a suspicious nature and determine that it's likely malicious even if it's not on the database or anything. It's just a database and nothing else, change the file name and you can break in.

They use digital signatures, so just changing the name won't help unless it's an extraordinarily basic AV.
Original post by LeTamoul
There are many ways to hack a webcam why do you think that even Mark Zuckerburg (inventor of Facebook) does this, because he knows chances are almost every webcam in the world is hacked by someone.
main-qimg-45ece406f3e83a39d56d4e1593512cc3-c.jpg

He knows that NSA/GCHQ/his ISP probably have access and because he's high profile someone might look at him fapping out of morbid curiosity, but I doubt he thinks that anyone can access his webcam at any time unless he doesn't something inept.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Just curious. Could someone potentially hack into your laptop's webcam and then spy on you/observe you through it from their computer? :colonhash:
So I could be being watched right now as I type this?

It is possible.

If you don't like the idea of it then you can stick tape over it.

The article is from 2013. Features a demo video from Windows 7 :lol: As I said, if it's an older cam then it may be software-controllable, but most devices in the last 5 or so years aren't controlled by software anymore.
I swear I read this on an article not too long ago. :s-smilie:
Original post by Naruke
Would you like me to link you a forum?

Just like this one, but made for hackers.

You can read first hand what talks and tutorials are like...

Sure. The thing is, any exploit which can be taken advantage of in an algorithmic way can easily be fixed. If anyone actually wants to hack I would say learn loads of programming rather than watch videos and attend tutorials. BTW I'm not even claiming to be a hacker.

Original post by LeTamoul
You're the best man :france:

why does it matter?
the goverment and cooperate companies already collect tones of data about you everyday

I think you have a very low opinion of CS undergrads... A simple hack with already written software on some poorly written camera just isn't that difficult. You can ask them yourself... What exactly is your objection?

+ CS grads don't do much security work anyway...

Quick Reply

Latest