The Student Room Group

Needs Assessment

Hi, people's. :smile:

I had my Needs Assessment today for my ADHD and have been offered some mind-mapping software, text to speech software and printer allowance - which is awesome!

Anyway, before having my needs assessment, the Uni put in study skills tuition for me whilst the DSA process was going through since they realised I was really struggling (and this has already helped me). I really do struggle with ADHD and I was told by somebody (after the assessment) that you can ask if you're eligible for a mentor - for help on dealing with concentration difficulties, workload and time management. I wasn't offered this, but I do have study skills tuition as previously said although its mostly to help with work (structuring, referencing, reading and going through assignments, etc).

Would I have not been offered this because I already have tuition or because they didn't see me as eligible? I feel this could have benefited me (after looking up to see what it is:
"one-to-one support which helps students address the barriers to learning created by a particular impairment".). Since the Needs Assessment has happened, and it was today, I won't be having this but I'm just curious. As I said, would it be because I already have tuition?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Teenaging

I had my Needs Assessment today for my ADHD and have been offered some mind-mapping software, text to speech software and printer allowance - which is awesome!

Anyway, before having my needs assessment, the Uni put in study skills tuition for me whilst the DSA process was going through since they realised I was really struggling (and this has already helped me). I really do struggle with ADHD and I was told by somebody (after the assessment) that you can ask if you're eligible for a mentor - for help on dealing with concentration difficulties, workload and time management. I wasn't offered this, but I do have study skills tuition as previously said although its mostly to help with work (structuring, referencing, reading and going through assignments, etc).

Would I have not been offered this because I already have tuition or because they didn't see me as eligible? I feel this could have benefited me (after looking up to see what it is:
"one-to-one support which helps students address the barriers to learning created by a particular impairment".). Since the Needs Assessment has happened, and it was today, I won't be having this but I'm just curious. As I said, would it be because I already have tuition?

I have the software that converts text to speech and mindmapping software and Read and Write Gold but haven't opened or used the programs at all since I was diagnosed with a disability 4 years ago. I didn't feel I had the time to use them and that they would be of any use. I feel my support isn't the right support for me, They tried offering me a tutor which I turned down 6 times last year as I would study on my own and when I am in Uni be with my classmates as opposed to having to jot off to a tutor while they have an extra hour free together. Extra time for assignment completion would be the golden support I would love but am so hesitant in asking as the uni feel that there are wider issues as to why I cant get my assignment done on time. My uni tried to tell me it was my education board who gives me DSA that determined my support. The uni probably feel the first tuition you mentioned to be better for you but as in my case you don't feel its the right support.
Reply 2

Just realised you haven't even got DSA to fund you tuition. And are you referring to the study skills sessions your uni runs probably weekly which is open to everyone then attending this wouldn't stop you getting a 1-1 tutor as 1-1 is better than being in a class room with loads of people where you can be easily distracted. I'd asked to be reassed.

Hi I just had mine a few weeks back I got all same software and the needs assessor put in for both skills tutor and mentor I got accepted for both 1 hour each a week this year and 25 hours next years. My assessor was good she also had a child with ADHD so knew what I would probably need.

She said that before the DSA only used to fund one of them but there are becoming more aware of the importance of both needed for some people so will find for both.

As with us with ADHD we have normally fallen behind in a subject in high school missed some key skills and still struggling to catch up come uni.

Then we have the lack of organisation time management and all that so both mentor and skills tutor play a vital part and if you feel like you could benefit from the mentor you can asked to be reassed for this I believe.

Also the uni after you had your ADHD assessment should have put in place things like 25% extra time in exams. Extension on book loans also extensions on assignments are easy to obtain with the diagnosis as you just need to explain how your ADHD has effected you and why you are behind. You could say that your struggling with you time Managment as you don't have a mentor and got a skills tutor instead 🙈
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mradhd
Just realised you haven't even got DSA to fund you tuition. And are you referring to the study skills sessions your uni runs probably weekly which is open to everyone then attending this wouldn't stop you getting a 1-1 tutor as 1-1 is better than being in a class room with loads of people where you can be easily distracted. I'd asked to be reassed.

Hi I just had mine a few weeks back I got all same software and the needs assessor put in for both skills tutor and mentor I got accepted for both 1 hour each a week this year and 25 hours next years. My assessor was good she also had a child with ADHD so knew what I would probably need.

She said that before the DSA only used to fund one of them but there are becoming more aware of the importance of both needed for some people so will find for both.

As with us with ADHD we have normally fallen behind in a subject in high school missed some key skills and still struggling to catch up come uni.

Then we have the lack of organisation time management and all that so both mentor and skills tutor play a vital part and if you feel like you could benefit from the mentor you can asked to be reassed for this I believe.

Also the uni after you had your ADHD assessment should have put in place things like 25% extra time in exams. Extension on book loans also extensions on assignments are easy to obtain with the diagnosis as you just need to explain how your ADHD has effected you and why you are behind. You could say that your struggling with you time Managment as you don't have a mentor and got a skills tutor instead 🙈

My study skills tuition is via DSA but was just put in place before the assessment as it was really needed ASAP. I was only assessed today though too haha.
Reply 4
My study skills tuition is via DSA but was just put in place before the assessment as it was really needed ASAP. I was only assessed today though too haha.

Ooo ok that's good then maybe you should of got assessed for mentoring aswel if you was saying you had trouble with being unorganised and staying on track they should of considered a mentor
Reply 5
What's the differences between a mentor and a study skills tutor btw?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending