The Student Room Group

Meg's 2017 Attempt at Grow Your Grades

Hi guys, I'm Megan (or just Meg) I'm currently a Year 13 student studying English lit, Psychology, Sociology at A-Level at a grammar school in Kent.

I am a complete Psychology nerd, I could go on and on about the subject forever and I wish to study this at university. Three of my most favourite areas within Psychology are Clinical Psychology, Forensic Psychology and Developmental Psychology. I also have a particular love for Freud and the theories of the Psycho Dynamic approach as some of them are so bizarre but so intriguing.

Aside from school I'm a lover of so many TV shows including Greys Anatomy, Pretty Little Liars, Once Upon a Time, OITNB, Sherlock (there are so many more but I won't list them all, we'll be here for days).

sidebar: I literally only joined tsr a few weeks ago and I still have no idea what I'm doing but this might as well help me learn. If I suck at this/ make any mistakes please let me know :smile:

History of my grades:
-GCSE: 8As (maths, English lit, English lang, French, German, RE, Business studies, Geography) 3Bs (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
-AS levels: C in general studies, rest are all Linear A-Levels
-Pending A Levels: (Predicted grades) A* - Psychology, A - Sociology, A - English Lit, B - General Studies

A Level Psychology: I'm taking the 2 year linear course with AQA
Year 1 Topics studied:

Spoiler

Year 2 Topics studied:

Spoiler

A Level Sociology: again a 2 year linear course with AQA
Year 1 Topics:

Spoiler

Year 2 Topics:

Spoiler

A Level English Literature: 2 year linear course with Edexcel
Year 1 Topics:

Spoiler

Year 2 Topics:

Spoiler

Mock Results Last Summer:
Psychology - A (so close to an A* I nearly cried)
Sociology - A (again like 4 marks from an A* which I'm so pleased with considering I left revision until the night before oops:s-smilie:)
English Lit - B (contemporary poetry will be the bane of my life I will never understand it)

My Goals:
-A* Psychology, A* Sociology, A English lit
-Get an offer from my two aspirational uni choices for a psychology course:
Bath (with placement year) or UCL
-

Current offers: (since 17/01/17)

Spoiler

Waiting for: (17/1/17)

Spoiler

My mocks for all of my subjects are coming up very soon:
Sociology: 9th of Jan
Psychology: 23rd of Jan
English lit (paper 1): 24th of Jan, (paper 2): 31st of Jan, (paper 3): 7th of Feb

I'll constantly be posting little updates on how I'm progressing/ any reminders of homework or things to do to help me keep on top of my work (which I'm currently slacking behind in so this is very relevant right now)

until next time:h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey nice thread! You look like you're doing pretty well atm. Hope to see you stay on track and get them grades!! 😆😆
Original post by PocketSized
Hey nice thread! You look like you're doing pretty well atm. Hope to see you stay on track and get them grades!! 😆😆

Thank you! I've just been reading through your A level journey I look forward to seeing you progress too:h:

hoping this will be a good year for the both of us!!
Original post by greysychology
Thank you! I've just been reading through your A level journey I look forward to seeing you progress too:h:

hoping this will be a good year for the both of us!!

Aw thank you so much x
Ditto
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 23.46.25.png and so the revision for mocks officially begins..
Well done with your current grades! I stumbled across your post and I thought I'd just pop in to say hi because I'm a fellow Psychology nerd (Developmental and Neuroscience are my faves) and I'm also a fellow Grey's anatomy, PLL, OITNB and Sherlock fan. I'm doing Psychology, Sociology and Biology and applied to Psychology at uni (Got all my offers yay) and also aiming for A*A*A (A in biology). Basically I want to follow your thread because I'm aiming for similar things :smile: Good luck in your mocks!
Original post by evangelinemay
Well done with your current grades! I stumbled across your post and I thought I'd just pop in to say hi because I'm a fellow Psychology nerd (Developmental and Neuroscience are my faves) and I'm also a fellow Grey's anatomy, PLL, OITNB and Sherlock fan. I'm doing Psychology, Sociology and Biology and applied to Psychology at uni (Got all my offers yay) and also aiming for A*A*A (A in biology). Basically I want to follow your thread because I'm aiming for similar things :smile: Good luck in your mocks!

Thank you! Ahh you have a very good taste in tv shows:tongue:
What exam boards are you with for psychology and sociology?
Ah that's amazing, congrats on your offers! What unis did you apply to?
Thank you! I think with a bit of hard work we'll be able to get those grades no problem💪🏼
Hopefully we can help each other out along the way:h:
Thank you! Ahh you have a very good taste in tv shows:tongue:
What exam boards are you with for psychology and sociology?
Ah that's amazing, congrats on your offers! What unis did you apply to?
Thank you! I think with a bit of hard work we'll be able to get those grades no problem💪🏼
Hopefully we can help each other out along the way:h:

I'm with AQA for both psych and sociology, how about you?
I applied to Exeter, Warwick, Nottingham, UEA and Kent - still not sure what i'm going to firm. Yes hopefully we can :smile:
I'm with AQA for both psych and sociology, how about you?
I applied to Exeter, Warwick, Nottingham, UEA and Kent - still not sure what i'm going to firm. Yes hopefully we can :smile:

Me too! What topics are you doing?

Ah I nearly applied to Kent but I wanted to get further away from home so I decided against it in the end but those are some really good unis!:biggrin:
GREEEYYY or should I now just call you Meg? You made yor own gyg thing! :biggrin: Can't believe you like Freud. I actually enjoy the psychodynamic theor but honestly can't with Freud :rolleyes:. Anyway, of course I will be following this as we study the same subjects and are applying to 4/5 of the same universities. I mean. I would still follow this if we weren't :wink:. It looks like you have a great academic record and are more organised than me! So yeah hopefully the offers that you are waiting for come soon :h:
Me too! What topics are you doing?

Ah I nearly applied to Kent but I wanted to get further away from home so I decided against it in the end but those are some really good unis!:biggrin:

In sociology I'm doing Education, Culture and Identity (literally like the only school which does that one), Crime and Deviance and Beliefs in society.
For Psychology I'm doing all the compulsory topics (Memory, attachment etc.) and then for the optional ones - aggression, schizophrenia and cognition and development.

I had the same thing about Sussex, I nearly applied but decided I wanted to be further from home :smile:
This is an amazing thread !! I will be following this :smile: Haha I also go to a grammar school in Kent :smile:
Original post by Shaaayxp
GREEEYYY or should I now just call you Meg? You made yor own gyg thing! :biggrin: Can't believe you like Freud. I actually enjoy the psychodynamic theor but honestly can't with Freud :rolleyes:. Anyway, of course I will be following this as we study the same subjects and are applying to 4/5 of the same universities. I mean. I would still follow this if we weren't :wink:. It looks like you have a great academic record and are more organised than me! So yeah hopefully the offers that you are waiting for come soon :h:

I think Grey is a cool nickname but Meg is fine:biggrin: I know, after I saw yours I felt a little inspired to start my own so hopefully it will motivate me a little bit more to revise harder! Haha Freud was one of the first psychologists we learnt about and I was so blown away by how abstract and strange his theories were I couldn't help but love him but I also love Carl Jung even more:tongue:
Thank you! I'm already following yours its so creative and displayed so nicely I love it!
I hope so, now that admissions offices are back open again I'm back to my routine of checking track at least twice a day:colone:
In sociology I'm doing Education, Culture and Identity (literally like the only school which does that one), Crime and Deviance and Beliefs in society.
For Psychology I'm doing all the compulsory topics (Memory, attachment etc.) and then for the optional ones - aggression, schizophrenia and cognition and development.

I had the same thing about Sussex, I nearly applied but decided I wanted to be further from home :smile:

Ahh for sociology I'm doing all of the same ones except Culture and Identity, we're doing Family and Households instead
and for Psychology we're doing schizophrenia, forensics and relationships but I would have loved to do cognition and development!!

Haha I totally understand, I've never felt so excited to get away from my town for a while:h:
Original post by nisha.sri
This is an amazing thread !! I will be following this :smile: Haha I also go to a grammar school in Kent :smile:

Thank you!! I was totally just stalking your account (in a non creepy way) and found your a-level journey which I will definitely follow!!
Haha that would be crazy if we went to the same school! Good luck on your a-levels, I look forward to seeing your progress:h:
Thank you!! I was totally just stalking your account (in a non creepy way) and found your a-level journey which I will definitely follow!!
Haha that would be crazy if we went to the same school! Good luck on your a-levels, I look forward to seeing your progress:h:

Haha :smile: Aw thank you so much. Good luck to you too x
So I've been a little M.I.A for the last week but I've been so busy I've hardly had time to do anything that doesn't involve revision or sleeping.

Quick life update:
-my sociology mock was going perfectly until I encountered the last essay question - a 20 mark essay on Berger's notion of the universe of shared meaning??? and I basically word vomited with no clue what I was actually writing about through the whole question so my chances of an A or A* have gone:colone:
I lowkey don't want to care because its only a mock but at the same time I highkey care waaaay too much because I wanted to prove to myself that this year will be my year.
-I'm now 300 words away from finally finishing my second draft of my English coursework so I've been working my butt off on that for the last week
-I also managed to get 89.4% on my end of topic test for forensics in psychology which is one mark from an A*, considering I got about 3 hours sleep because I left my revision until last minute I'd say thats not a bad score:colondollar:

also I'm super gutted about Obama's time ending in the White House, his final speech and his dedication to Michelle, Malia and Sasha had me in tears... can he come to the UK now we'd happily have him as our prime minister any day..
AND Meryl Streeps speech at the Golden Globes made me so emotional... gotta love those 'overrated' actresses aye Donald:wink:

anyway enough with the rambling my next mocks are on the 23rd (psychology) and the 24th (English lit poetry) so now its time to get back into my revision routine:u:
Hi guys, I'm Megan (or just Meg) I'm currently a Year 13 student studying English lit, Psychology, Sociology at A-Level at a grammar school in Kent.

I am a complete Psychology nerd, I could go on and on about the subject forever and I wish to study this at university. Three of my most favourite areas within Psychology are Clinical Psychology, Forensic Psychology and Developmental Psychology. I also have a particular love for Freud and the theories of the Psycho Dynamic approach as some of them are so bizarre but so intriguing.

Aside from school I'm a lover of so many TV shows including Greys Anatomy, Pretty Little Liars, Once Upon a Time, OITNB, Sherlock (there are so many more but I won't list them all, we'll be here for days).

sidebar: I literally only joined tsr a few weeks ago and I still have no idea what I'm doing but this might as well help me learn. If I suck at this/ make any mistakes please let me know :smile:

History of my grades:
-GCSE: 8As (maths, English lit, English lang, French, German, RE, Business studies, Geography) 3Bs (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)
-AS levels: C in general studies, rest are all Linear A-Levels
-Pending A Levels: (Predicted grades) A* - Psychology, A - Sociology, A - English Lit, B - General Studies

A Level Psychology: I'm taking the 2 year linear course with AQA
Year 1 Topics studied:

Spoiler

Year 2 Topics studied:

Spoiler

A Level Sociology: again a 2 year linear course with AQA
Year 1 Topics:

Spoiler

Year 2 Topics:

Spoiler

A Level English Literature: 2 year linear course with Edexcel
Year 1 Topics:

Spoiler

Year 2 Topics:

Spoiler

Mock Results Last Summer:
Psychology - A (so close to an A* I nearly cried)
Sociology - A (again like 4 marks from an A* which I'm so pleased with considering I left revision until the night before oops:s-smilie:)
English Lit - B (contemporary poetry will be the bane of my life I will never understand it)

My Goals:
-A* Psychology, A* Sociology, A English lit
-Get an offer from my two aspirational uni choices for a psychology course:
Bath (with placement year) or UCL
-

Current offers: (since 12/12/16)

Spoiler

Waiting for: (todays date: 3/1/17)

Spoiler

My mocks for all of my subjects are coming up very soon:
Sociology: 9th of Jan
Psychology: 23rd of Jan
English lit (paper 1): 24th of Jan, (paper 2): 31st of Jan, (paper 3): 7th of Feb

I'll constantly be posting little updates on how I'm progressing/ any reminders of homework or things to do to help me keep on top of my work (which I'm currently slacking behind in so this is very relevant right now)

until next time:h:

Subbeddd :h:
Lovely thread and gooood luck :biggrin:
Original post by Lychee627
Subbeddd :h:
Lovely thread and gooood luck :biggrin:

thank you!!:colondollar:
thank you!!:colondollar:

No worries :h: keep going and hope your mocks are going well :mmm:
Keep revising and Ik you can do this :ahee:
:yy: