The Student Room Group

Which city in Canada is best for a four day break?

Never been there myself, but Montreal looks lovely. Plus it's close enough to beautiful Quebec City to make a day trip.
Reply 2
I would recommend Toronto
This link provides the Top things to do there: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g155019-Activities-Toronto_Ontario.html#ATTRACTION_SORT_WRAPPER
I lived in Toronto for a year (lived before and now live in a small town in the South of England) and so I'd obviously recommend it! It has a ridiculous amount of things to do and something for everyone! I'd recommend the zoo (pandas), Casa Loma if you're into History, the CN Tower, catch a ball game if you can, the Toronto Islands are beautiful and one of my fav places, the Eton Centre is pretty good for shopping (although it's a lot less good then it was 7 years ago!), the waterfront is lovely for a walk in the summer and there's an AMAZING ice rink in the winter and I'd also recommend just walking around the city. Like much of Canada, it's incredibly culturally diverse and there's a great many 'little' neighbourhoods ('Little Italy', 'Little China', 'Little Poland' etc). There's a restaurant called The Madarin which is an all you can eat Chinese buffet which is incredible. It's has legendary status in our family, even all these years later! If you do get a chance, do visit 'Little Poland' (aka Roncesvalles) and say 'hi' to the Pope from me as that's the neighbourhood I lived in!

This summer we visited Quebec City which was an experience in itself. You know that you're in North America but it feels so so much like a European city! It was a very strange place (don't get me started on the 'French culture' and Bill 101) but had lots of touristy things to do.

We also visited Ottawa. I loved the parliament buildings and there was a very good war museum but it's definitely a working capital and I doubt there's enough to do for 4 days. We spent an evening and a full day there and I think we covered everything. If you go in the summer, they project a light show about Canada's history onto the Parliament buildings and that was completely stunning (and made me very proud to be Canadian).

Montreal I visited back in 2010 for a long weekend but we also drove through it (while driving from Quebec City to Ottawa) for lunch. After Toronto, I'd say it's your best bet (out of the places I've visited). There's lots to do (they've turned the old Olympic park into a sort of mini Eden project) and there's enough French to make it a bit exciting. As long as you're not a veggie, I'd recommend Schwartz's for a smoked meat sandwich. It's only a tiny place so you'll probably have to queue to sit down (but it's Canada so everyone is very friendly and you'll have plenty of people to chat to heehee) but OH MY was it amazing! It's pretty famous and has been open for years and years and I can understand why!

I haven't travelled in the west so I'm afraid I can't help you there. But Prince Edward Island gets an honorary mention because it's BEAUTIFUL (although not much of a city) and is amazing for anyone who's a fan of LM Montgomery! Sorry for the crazy long post, I seem to have gone a bit crazy whoopsie! Have fun wherever you go!
Original post by James A

Quebec City has probably the most touristy things to do in Canada, but you can do a day trip by bus from Montreal. Ottawa is also a viable day trip from Montreal.
Depends on what you're looking to do. Are you someone who likes scenery and wants to hike/ski/canoe etc? Do you want to get away from it all? Or you want to shop and experience city life?

It's probably the most talked about, but I'd say Toronto. You have the outskirts where you can do more outdoorsy stuff, and the city itself is buzzing during the daytime. It's not like NY, where it's always busy and going even at night, but it's still fast-paced and has a lot to offer. You can always find something to do and it's relatively multicultural.

I'd also recommend Victoria. It's pretty for a city, on its own island (so you'll need to take a ferry), has a fair amount of interesting stuff to do, and it isn't as overwhelming as other big cities. It has more scenery than Vancouver as well. A city like Victoria is better to visit during spring or summer, though. Actually, Canada is best to visit during summer to fall, imo. It's pretty damn cold during winter and limits what you can do.
Is that a 4 day break from the UK? Not such a long time for a short trip. I've heard great things about St John's, which is now much more accessible due to the Westjet flights (as a result the cost of tickets has gone way down- despite being the closest city to the UK it used to be far more expensive to fly there than to say, Vancouver). It's only a 5.5 hour flight away.

Otherwise, I'd say Quebec but there are no direct flights. Probably best to go to Montreal and take a day trip to Quebec (2.5 hours each way, but the city is beautiful and atmospheric and worth it). Montreal is an interesting blend of cultures, it's neither fully European nor North American. It makes a nice contrast with Quebec (City), which is much more 'old world' but still not very much like France at all.
Original post by standreams
Is that a 4 day break from the UK? Not such a long time for a short trip. I've heard great things about St John's, which is now much more accessible due to the Westjet flights (as a result the cost of tickets has gone way down- despite being the closest city to the UK it used to be far more expensive to fly there than to say, Vancouver). It's only a 5.5 hour flight away.

Otherwise, I'd say Quebec but there are no direct flights. Probably best to go to Montreal and take a day trip to Quebec (2.5 hours each way, but the city is beautiful and atmospheric and worth it). Montreal is an interesting blend of cultures, it's neither fully European nor North American. It makes a nice contrast with Quebec (City), which is much more 'old world' but still not very much like France at all.

I might be wrong (and I'm not trying to be rude so I'm really sorry if it seems like that) but I'm pretty sure there are direct flights from London to Quebec City, it's just a lot cheaper to fly London to Montreal and then Montreal to Quebec (which is what we did this summer). So don't let that stop you!
Original post by Bubs051213
I might be wrong (and I'm not trying to be rude so I'm really sorry if it seems like that) but I'm pretty sure there are direct flights from London to Quebec City, it's just a lot cheaper to fly London to Montreal and then Montreal to Quebec (which is what we did this summer). So don't let that stop you!

Not rude, but no, there haven't been direct flights for a long time (about 10 years as far as I know). The only direct flights are to Paris, and they are summer only. There are plenty of connections through Montreal so it doesn't add on that much time to the journey, but 4 or 5 days seems too short to really enjoy the place.
Original post by standreams
Not rude, but no, there haven't been direct flights for a long time (about 10 years as far as I know). The only direct flights are to Paris, and they are summer only. There are plenty of connections through Montreal so it doesn't add on that much time to the journey, but 4 or 5 days seems too short to really enjoy the place.

Whoopsie, I stand corrected! I wonder where on earth I got that idea from then. Thank you!
Everyone I have ever met who has been to Vancouver loved it.
Toronto - I went there and I loved it!!
Vancouver...so much to do , so much to see...one of the world's most spectacular cities for its location on the Pacific Ocean.
And surprisingly, the airfare ( if flying from the UK) is not all that more than to a city in eastern Canada, like Toronto or Montreal.
Reply 13
Toronto.

Have family there, so visit every few years.

Downtown is great and even the outskirts have some interesting shops/sights..
If you're just going to one city and it has to be four days, then I'd suggest Montreal, as it's quite nice-looking and has more attractions than other Canadian cities to last you four days, although by my pace of travel, I'd make a trip to Ottawa on one of those four days.

However, in terms of the best city to visit, I'd definitely recommend Vancouver, as it's a beautiful, modern city with lots of natural sights and food at Granville Market, and you could make short trips to Victoria or Whistler if you run out of things to do in Vancouver.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Never been there myself, but Montreal looks lovely. Plus it's close enough to beautiful Quebec City to make a day trip.

Always try to speak in French to the native French-speaking Canadians!...many of them refuse to speak/reply/respond if you speak to them in English!

Quick Reply

Latest