The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Applying to London Met for Journalism

I am a senior in high school in California, USA. I am applying to study Journalism and Politics at the London Met next year but I have read a lot of mixed reviews that makes me cautious. Why is the Met so terrible? On the outside it seems great. Would I be better of going to Glasgow or Edinburgh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizzylonergan
I am a senior in high school in California, USA. I am applying to study Journalism and Politics at the London Met next year but I have read a lot of mixed reviews that makes me cautious. Why is the Met so terrible? On the outside it seems great. Would I be better of going to Glasgow or Edinburgh?

It's not a reputable university at all. Glasgow/Edinburgh are much better choices
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Lol'd @ title. Has to be a troll
Reply 3
London is a great place to study Journalism as it's the central hub of all things media but London Met isn't a very reputable university and reviews as well as league table rankings aren't the best for a reason. Every uni wants to make themselves look good but you have to look at what the students have to say. If you'd like to stay in London to study you'd be better off looking at Goldsmiths, Westminster, City etc. Birmingham is also good for their media courses. Other than that, Glasgow/Edinburgh would be better options than London Met.
Original post by Pikachū
Lol'd @ title. Has to be a troll

Sorry lol not a troll. Just a confused Californian who is having a hell of a time applying to UK schools
Sorry lol not a troll. Just a confused Californian who is having a hell of a time applying to UK schools

TSR is known for extreme snobbery when it comes to university prestige, half the site thinks you'll be on welfare for life if you don't go to Oxbridge.

However London Met has come bottom of every league table for years so I'd choose Glasgow or Edinburgh in a heartbeat.
Reply 6
Why is the Met so terrible?

London Metropolitan University (LMU) illegally allowed students that did not have permission to stay in the country, a "significant proportion" did not have sufficient English and there was no proof that half of those sampled were turning up to lectures. LMU is permanently at the bottom of all of the League Tables because of this and the fact their administration are absolutely horrendous.
Original post by JamesN88
TSR is known for extreme snobbery when it comes to university prestige, half the site thinks you'll be on welfare for life if you don't go to Oxbridge.

However London Met has come bottom of every league table for years so I'd choose Glasgow or Edinburgh in a heartbeat.

What exactly is a league table?

Ha ha you got me. Nice bait.

:hat2:
Reply 9

Every year, all the universities in the UK are ranked. Here you go:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Original post by AshEntropy
London Metropolitan University (LMU) illegally allowed students that did not have permission to stay in the country, a "significant proportion" did not have sufficient English and there was no proof that half of those sampled were turning up to lectures. LMU is permanently at the bottom of all of the League Tables because of this and the fact their administration are absolutely horrendous.

What is a league table?
What is a league table?

:troll:
Reply 12
Original post by JamesN88
Ha ha you got me. Nice bait.

:hat2:

Wait is it a troll?
Every year, all the universities in the UK are ranked. Here you go:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

THANK YOU. You honestly have no idea how helpful all of this is. I wish I had found TSR sooner.
Reply 14
THANK YOU. You honestly have no idea how helpful all of this is. I wish I had found TSR sooner.

You're very welcome :h:
Sorry I guess you weren't trolling. :smile:

TSR is known to be pretty snobby (often by people who have never been or just want to follow what everyone else says). London Met as a uni doesnt have the best rep, although the journalism course has a pretty good one. There have been a number of threads by students who are on the course, enjoyed it, good lecturers and got jobs.

That said if I was choosing then I would ho elsewhere. Take the league tables (there are at least 4 sets) with a pinch of salt, they hardly ever agree, but can be used as a guide and will show the same unis appearing consistently.

I wouldnt be so attached on studying in London.
You're very welcome :h:

Do you have any first hand experience of the journalism course?
Reply 18
Original post by 999tigger
Do you have any first hand experience of the journalism course?

Hahhahaahah no, I study Biology :angry:
Hahhahaahah no, I study Biology :angry:

Nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending