The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2017 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Damzel
Thank god you started this cause I couldn't find one anywhere either! I'm Allie, I'm on an Access to Humanities course. Sent off application 5th January for International relations and Sociology at Canterbury Christ Church, Exeter, oxford brookes, sussex and Keele.

CCC sent in a conditional offer two days after I applied, and all the others sent an email acknowledging the application but not heard anything for them yet. People doing alevels that have applied to the same course as me at the same universities have already got their rejections/offers by now so I am wondering if us access students have to wait longer?

No, access course students don't have to wait longer. A Level students may have sent their apps off in Oct/Nov/December where you have sent yours off later. Uni's don't have to reply with an offer until May.
Original post by Longy2076
What can we call you?

Darren

What do you plan on studying at Uni?

BSc Biology with (foundation year)

Which Uni's are you looking at applying to?

University of Chester

If you want to say, how old are you?

29, 30 years old when starting a month into uni

Anything else you want to say about your plans or dreams?

There was lots of doubt in my decisions, am I to old to do this? Will I get on with much younger students? I'm over these negative thoughts the day the University offered me an unconditional offer to study. I was over the moon! Advice to everyone, if you want something in life, go and get it and don't look back

Hi Darren,

Congratulations on your offer! :h:

Have you been to visit us yet? We've got Applicant Days over the next few months, if you'd like to visit and find out more about the course you will be studying.

There's over 100 clubs and societies that you can join at Chester and these are a great opportunity to try new things and make new friends. One of the societies is a mature student society so you can meet other people like yourself that are studying at Chester.

You might also want to check out our University of Chester forum, so you can meet other students before you start :smile:

Let us know if you have any questions. :smile:
What can we call you?
Aileen.
What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?
I'm currently doing Access to Humanities at West College Scotland
I've applied to University of West of Scotland to do Society, Politics and policy or Criminal justice, Strathclyde uni for education and policy, Glasgow Uni for Sociology and Social Science at caledonian uni which is my top pick.

The big 4 0
Got a big family, six children and really hoping I can cope with university life.
Original post by University of Chester
Hi Darren,

Congratulations on your offer! :h:

Have you been to visit us yet? We've got Applicant Days over the next few months, if you'd like to visit and find out more about the course you will be studying.

There's over 100 clubs and societies that you can join at Chester and these are a great opportunity to try new things and make new friends. One of the societies is a mature student society so you can meet other people like yourself that are studying at Chester.

You might also want to check out our University of Chester forum, so you can meet other students before you start :smile:

Let us know if you have any questions. :smile:

Good Mourning :smile:

Thank you for your welcoming email. I am really looking forward to starting in September, and yes I have a applicant day booked for
Saturday 21st January @ 11:30. So that is a schedule worth going to :smile:

I will be planning to check out your clubs and societies, I like certain sports and activities, mainly fitness and the gymnasium.

Regards

Darren
Yay, thanks for starting this thread.

I'm Jess and i'm on the Access to Education pathway. I pestered my tutors until they sent my application off a little early! :colondollar:
I got interview offers from all five:
Reading
Gloucestershire
Worcestershire
Plymouth
and Northampton

and my first interview (Reading) went well and I got a conditional offer; 15 credits at distinction and the rest at merit which isn't too terrible! Gloucestershire is next up.

Good luck everybody! :biggrin:
Reply 205
Original post by Wanderlust96
Yay, thanks for starting this thread.

I'm Jess and i'm on the Access to Education pathway. I pestered my tutors until they sent my application off a little early! :colondollar:
I got interview offers from all five:
Reading
Gloucestershire
Worcestershire
Plymouth
and Northampton

and my first interview (Reading) went well and I got a conditional offer; 15 credits at distinction and the rest at merit which isn't too terrible! Gloucestershire is next up.

Good luck everybody! :biggrin:

Well done!!! Good luck with the other interviews and kick some mature student ass
Original post by Damzel
Hello Sarah!

Taking time to travel abroad sounds amazing and what I would have done had I had the oppitunity. Although not my personal experience, I do have a friend who went did at access course aged 27 after having children and who is currently studying animal welfare and conservation and she is absolutely loving it! She originally applied for very similar universities to you but ended up going with canterbury christ church as they were the most friendly for her. I have no idea if this is any help but maybe just make sure you can view the universities (if you can)

Hiya Damzel :smile:
Thank you for advice following your friend's experiences. I will certainly go and have a proper look around before accepting anything. That includes the mature students halls! I'm worried I might get distracted if I end up with students fresh from school.

Congratulations Darren! ^
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
Original post by veganrockchick
Hiya Damzel :smile:
Thank you for advice following your friend's experiences. I will certainly go and have a proper look around before accepting anything. That includes the mature students halls! I'm worried I might get distracted if I end up with students fresh from school.

Congratulations Darren! ^
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no problem! I just hoped it helped and yeah same here, I'm gonna go round and check out all the universities and what not to decide where I feel I'll fit in best. I did do a couple of posts on TSR asking about mature accommodation and how easily it is for mature students to make friends etc.... One of them got a very negative response saying from a few people I was over thinking it and basically to get over myself that 'normal' student halls were fine and so I deleted it. I'm still a bit worried about it as I've seen posts of mature students feeling lonely and not fitting in and a friend of mine had to transfer when in his year abroad as he felt too alone and didn't join in with the clubbing because it wasn't his thing meaning no one spoke to him. Although I don't want to categorise the freshers crowd, and I will try and join in to some extent, I am worried that I will have a similar experience ;C
I finally got an offer from Exeter, I'm so happy! :h:
Reply 209
Original post by KMLeeson
I finally got an offer from Exeter, I'm so happy! :h:

Well done!!!

hope mine is on the way too plz
Reply 210
I've applied to Sussex and Exeter too, for a different course though. Do you have a first choice Uni yet?

Ooooh sorry I didn't see this!

I'm not sure on a first choice yet, it's between them two. I'm hoping to get an offer from them so I can go to an applicant day and have a feel for myself of which university feels right for me! Do you have a set one in mind?
Original post by Damzel
Ooooh sorry I didn't see this!

I'm not sure on a first choice yet, it's between them two. I'm hoping to get an offer from them so I can go to an applicant day and have a feel for myself of which university feels right for me! Do you have a set one in mind?

No worries, lovely! :smile:

I'm sure it won't be long now that the application deadline has passed! I think I'm going to do the same. I wen't to a Sussex open day and loved it but I've never been to Exeter so Sussex is probably going to be my first choice.
What can we call you?
Canoloed

What are you currently studying/what do you plan on studying before you start Uni?
Currently working and retaking maths a level. I also have a music degree from many moons ago.

Maths and Science with QTA

Which Uni's are you looking at applying ?
University of South Wales

45, am I the oldest?!

After 20 years in broadcasting, looking to make a change and spend the next 20 years in teaching.
Reply 213
Hi everyone, I'm studying an Access to Teaching course at my local college, hoping to study a degree in Primary Education.

Applied at the following:
University of Cumbria - Lancaster Campus
Bradford College
Edge Hill
Manchester Met
Liverpool Hope

Been invited for an interview for four, waiting for Bradford College to reply back with an invite for interview or rejection (hopefully not).

Have a conditional offer for Cumbria - 24distinctions, 21 merits
What can we call you?
Tina (coincidentally, @KMLeeson, short for Kristina!)

HNC Applied Sciences and self-studying Higher Human Biology.

Marine Biology.

Which Uni's are you looking at applying to?
Aberdeen / Glasgow / Heriot-Watt / Highlands and Islands / Stirling

24. Will be 25 at the time of starting university.

I like fish.🐠
Original post by Canoloed
What can we call you?
Canoloed

Currently working and retaking maths a level. I also have a music degree from many moons ago.

45, am I the oldest?!

After 20 years in broadcasting, looking to make a change and spend the next 20 years in teaching.

I think that's absolutely fantastic! 45 and still pursuing your dream. Well done 👍 There was an article I read, the oldest woman to graduate at 98 I think she was. Age is just a number
Hi guys! Was looking for a thread like this, thanks for making one!
I'm studying Access to Science. I sent my application mid December.
I've applied to study Biochemistry.
East London: Offer - 80 ucas points = roughly 27 merits (strange I know!)
Westminster: 27 merits. All merit in either chemistry or Biology.
Queen Mary London: 30 Distinctions, 15 merits (this is my top choice atm but those are high grades to achieve!)
Kings College: Pending
UCL (for Bioprocessing of new medicines): Pending

It's so nerve racking isn't it!?
Hello ,

I am studing an access to higher education course in business studies , with a view to study logistics ,supply procurement and transport management

I ,for once, have had my admin together and had sent off my ucas app along with my tutors ref for the Dec 2016 deadline and as of last week have been offered my first choice
Midds university - pass 45 credit out of those 12 need to be merits
plus
Greenwich 112 ucas points , not sure what that translates as in credits though ?

As a cheeky bonus for getting my offer in early i have been invited to a meet and greet at midds next week to be scmoozed , i presume , yay go me !
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 218
No worries, lovely! :smile:

I'm sure it won't be long now that the application deadline has passed! I think I'm going to do the same. I wen't to a Sussex open day and loved it but I've never been to Exeter so Sussex is probably going to be my first choice.

Eeeeeeek I just hope it comes through soon! Oh good, yeah I know people who went to both universities and both talk about them like they are the best thing since sliced bread so really hoping to go and have a look at them :smile: I keep trawling through all the posts on here to see if they have sent anyone out an offer for my courses and honestly starting to feel a bit like UCAS's creepy ex girlfriend making sure they aren't talking to anyone else
Reply 219
Original post by Canoloed
What can we call you?
Canoloed

45, am I the oldest?!

This is super respectable! <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending