The Student Room Group

Changing FROM a deferred(2018) entry TO 2017 entry

I am aware that Unis usually allow students to change to a deferred entry but how likely are they to allow me to change from a deferred entry to a 2017 entry?

The reason is that, as an EU student, I have become increasingly scared that Brexit will cause EU tuition fees to be raised to the 'International' fees from 2018 onwards, in which case I would have to give up my dream of studyimg in the UK.

I have 2 offers. How should I go about trying to make them change my offer to a 2017 and how likely are they to do that?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Thomazo
I am aware that Unis usually allow students to change to a deferred entry but how likely are they to allow me to change from a deferred entry to a 2017 entry?

The reason is that, as an EU student, I have become increasingly scared that Brexit will cause EU tuition fees to be raised to the 'International' fees from 2018 onwards, in which case I would have to give up my dream of studyimg in the UK.

I have 2 offers. How should I go about trying to make them change my offer to a 2017 and how likely are they to do that?

Thank you in advance.

Ring them up and ask them

If they wont allow it they'll tell you outright - asking will not lose you your 2018 entry offer.
Reply 2
As far as I know, many universities have already assured that the tution fees for students starting their academic years 2017/18 AND 2018/19 will not change.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mieleki
As far as I know, many universities have already assured that the tution fees for students starting their academic years 2017/18 AND 2018/19 will not change.

Not 2018/19. My guess is it will stay as is because the Brexit negotiations won't be completed by then. But honestly who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Not 2018/19. My guess is it will stay as is because the Brexit negotiations won't be completed by then. But honestly who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apology for wrong phrasing. Some of the univerisities announced (Warwick, De Montfort..) that the same tution fee rate will apply to EU students starting in 2018/19. This implies that there is a reason to think that the tution fee rate will likely stay the same. However, yes, nothing is certain.
Reply 5
Original post by Mieleki
Apology for wrong phrasing. Some of the univerisities announced (Warwick, De Montfort..) that the same tution fee rate will apply to EU students starting in 2018/19. This implies that there is a reason to think that the tution fee rate will likely stay the same. However, yes, nothing is certain.

Well to be fair I really didn't know Warwick (or others) are brave enough to do that. Interesting - and thanks :smile:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/studentfunding/ugfees/

"For EU students starting their studies with us in Autumn 2016, Autumn 2017 and Autumn 2018, we will be protecting tuition fees from any increases linked to a change in fee status after the UK leaves the EU."

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/insite/news/intnews2/eu_tuitionfees_2018/

As I implied though, it's probably a safe bet as nothing much will happen for 2018/19. Probably...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Well to be fair I really didn't know Warwick (or others) are brave enough to do that. Interesting - and thanks :smile:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/studentfunding/ugfees/

"For EU students starting their studies with us in Autumn 2016, Autumn 2017 and Autumn 2018, we will be protecting tuition fees from any increases linked to a change in fee status after the UK leaves the EU."

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/insite/news/intnews2/eu_tuitionfees_2018/

As I implied though, it's probably a safe bet as nothing much will happen for 2018/19. Probably...

Hm, interesting. Do you have any idea as to how recently they announced that? Because it could be that many others will follow and do the same, in which case I might wait a little and see if any of my unis confirm a similar policy.
Reply 7
Original post by Thomazo
Hm, interesting. Do you have any idea as to how recently they announced that? Because it could be that many others will follow and do the same, in which case I might wait a little and see if any of my unis confirm a similar policy.

According to this page it was July 2016
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/students/news/newsevents/eu_tuitionfees_2018/

Contact your universities and ask them. Make sure you get written (email) confirmation if they agree to following Warwick's policy.

There is no rush to confirm your choices. You have until May.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Ring them up and ask them

If they wont allow it they'll tell you outright - asking will not lose you your 2018 entry offer.

Would calling be more effective than asking by email?
Original post by Thomazo

You'll get an instant answer/indication - if you email you're likely to be waiting a week or more at this time of year.
Reply 10
Original post by Thomazo

Calling is quicker and harder to ignore. But follow up any phone conversation with an email and keep a note of who you spoke to, and their job title.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
According to this page it was July 2016
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/students/news/newsevents/eu_tuitionfees_2018/

Contact your universities and ask them. Make sure you get written (email) confirmation if they agree to following Warwick's policy.

There is no rush to confirm your choices. You have until May.

Well if they haven't made any official statement then surely they won't start making any promises to me?
Reply 12
Original post by Thomazo
Well if they haven't made any official statement then surely they won't start making any promises to me?

You won't know unless you ask.
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
You won't know unless you ask.

Sooo I tell them that " So these other unis have assured that the fees will be unchanged for 2018, soooooo if you can't promise anything then I might not be able to take your offer bla bla" (you get the idea)

Worth a shot I suppose but seems really unlikely that they would start making promises to individual students.
Reply 14
Original post by Thomazo
Sooo I tell them that " So these other unis have assured that the fees will be unchanged for 2018, soooooo if you can't promise anything then I might not be able to take your offer bla bla" (you get the idea)

Worth a shot I suppose but seems really unlikely that they would start making promises to individual students.

As I said: "You won't know unless you ask." :wink:

They won't withdraw your offer for asking the question. Call them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending