The Student Room Group

mu doctor didn't give me crutches or a knee brace for a sprain

It hurts when walking and moving it but TWO DOCTORS SAID I DON'T NEED THEM AND I DONT NEED A KNEE BRACE EITHER BUT HURTS WHEN WALKING AND I DID TELL THEM THAT AND THEY SAID ITLL GET BETTER. In about two or three days why didn't they give it me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomgirl995
It hurts when walking and moving it but TWO DOCTORS SAID I DON'T NEED THEM AND I DONT NEED A KNEE BRACE EITHER BUT HURTS WHEN WALKING AND I DID TELL THEM THAT AND THEY SAID ITLL GET BETTER. In about two or three days why didn't they give it me

Two medical professionals told you that you don't need a piece of NHS equipment, why are you arguing? You're young and have a simple sprain; take ibuprofen for pain and inflammation, and wait for it to settle back into place by resting it. You shouldn't have gone to A&E in the first place. Of course it hurts when you move it; simple answer is minimise movement for a few days, like you were told.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Glassapple
Two medical professionals told you that you don't need a piece of NHS equipment, why are you arguing? You're young and have a simple sprain; take ibuprofen for pain and inflammation, and wait for it to settle back into place by resting it. You shouldn't have gone to A&E in the first place. Of course it hurts when you move it; simeple answer is minimise movement for a few days, like you were told.

It sill hurts when i walk even if I have medicine 💊. And I can't MINIMISE movement because i have school and cant moss days . And why did they say I didn't need it when It hurts when I walk and put pressure on it and even move it .
It sill hurts when i walk even if I have medicine 💊. And I can't MINIMISE movement because i have school and cant moss days . And why did they say I didn't need it when It hurts when I walk and put pressure on it and even move it .

Of course it will hurt; you've done something to part of your body that's not meant to happen. You don't need a brace because you're young and it will naturally heal on its own if you mostly keep it in its natural position. If you have to miss school, you have to miss school. It's not going to get better, with or without the brace you don't need, if you keep putting pressure on it and go to school.

Medicine doesn't take all pain away most of the time, it just reduces it. In a few days it will be fine, like what they told you. The medicine doesn't put your sprain back in place, rest does. You'll have to stop having a normal life for a few days, like anyone else who ever gets a sprain. Things happen, move on and do what you were told by the people who know what they're talking about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course it will hurt; you've done something to part of your body that's not meant to happen. You don't need a brace because you're young and it will naturally heal on its own if you mostly keep it in its natural position. If you have to miss school, you have to miss school. It's not going to get better, with or without the brace you don't need, if you keep putting pressure on it and go to school.

Medicine doesn't take all pain away most of the time, it just reduces it. In a few days it will be fine, like what they told you. The medicine doesn't put your sprain back in place, rest does. You'll have to stop having a normal life for a few days, like anyone else who ever gets a sprain. Things happen, move on and do what you were told by the people who know what they're talking about.
it happened on Thursday and irs Friday today and yesterday they said that it will get better in about 4 days so will the weekend be enough for it to heal at least a little bit and I went to school today and I walked up and down the stairs even though it hurt so now what

Its already been two days it happened yesterday and I went yesterday to the a and e and they said that it will get better in 3-4 days is that even possible and another thing s that I walked up and down the stairs in school so will that affect anything and when I did walk up and down the stairs IT HURT LIKE HELL
Reply 6
If there is swelling put some ice on it. It'll take a few days to calm down a little and you'll be fine after that
I had one a few years back and got the same response, it'll hurt for a week or so but use ice packs and what not to help keep it down, you'll be fine after that.
It's a sprain.
Health professionals are trained and know what they are doing.
You don't need a brace or crutches, of it was that bad you wouldn't have gone to school - it should heal soon, however nobody can give you a definite answer
Original post by MattB_
If there is swelling put some ice on it. It'll take a few days to calm down a little and you'll be fine after that

My doctor didn't give me crutches or any thing and in school it hurt so much. But I still walked up and down the stairs so will that affect anything
...you went to A&E for a sprained knee?! A&E should only be for if you cannot walk on it at all without excruciating pain or it buckling under you. Or it's dislocated, ridiculously bruised or following major trauma (minor and you should probably just save it for the GP).
It's going to hurt and it will need time to heal. Take it from a person with recurring knee injuries that it will feel like it's the end of the world, but one day you'll wake up and forget it even hurt the day before. Just look after it: rest, ice, compression (optional) and elevate it when you can. Some movement is good as it encourages circulation to the area, so the movement you're still doing will help with that. Take ibuprofen (don't bother with the gels) for the pain and try and do something to distract yourself like watching TV or not going on TSR to complain about it :tongue: It'll heal up soon, and you've been reassured by medical professionals that there's nothing seriously wrong. Just relax and let your body do its thing. It's good at its job!
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
...you went to A&E for a sprained knee?! A&E should only be for if you cannot walk on it at all without excruciating pain or it buckling under you. Or it's dislocated, ridiculously bruised or following major trauma (minor and you should probably just save it for the GP).
It's going to hurt and it will need time to heal. Take it from a person with recurring knee injuries that it will feel like it's the end of the world, but one day you'll wake up and forget it even hurt the day before. Just look after it: rest, ice, compression (optional) and elevate it when you can. Some movement is good as it encourages circulation to the area, so the movement you're still doing will help with that. Take ibuprofen (don't bother with the gels) for the pain and try and do something to distract yourself like watching TV or not going on TSR to complain about it :tongue: It'll heal up soon, and you've been reassured by medical professionals that there's nothing seriously wrong. Just relax and let your body do its thing. It's good at its job!

I went to A&E because I wad walking l and it suddenly pained and then I went to school today but it happened yesterday and I CAN walk up and down the stairs and such but it hurts a LOT its the same as yesterday and two doctors said that it should take about 3)-4 days but I'm in a lot of pain when walking and I read online it should take about 1-2 weeks and mine hurts a lot ??
I went to A&E because I wad walking l and it suddenly pained and then I went to school today but it happened yesterday and I CAN walk up and down the stairs and such but it hurts a LOT its the same as yesterday and two doctors said that it should take about 3)-4 days but I'm in a lot of pain when walking and I read online it should take about 1-2 weeks and mine hurts a lot ??

We can't help you.
Take painkillers and rest it as much as you can.
However, you shouldn't have gone to A&E.
Moved to health

I agree with the general advice give - use ice and take painkillers if you need to.
Reply 14

Because it's a sprain.

Unless you're doing marathons on it, it will heal naturally; I'd even wager that a brace for it may make it worse in future

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Because it's a sprain.

Unless you're doing marathons on it, it will heal naturally; I'd even wager that a brace for it may make it worse in future

Posted from TSR Mobile
the problem is lots of ppl in school have been saying that i don't really have a sprain because I can walk up and down the stairs and around school so I was wondering if you d have a sprain should u be able t walk up and down stairs
the problem is lots of ppl in school have been saying that i don't really have a sprain because I can walk up and down the stairs and around school so I was wondering if you d have a sprain should u be able t walk up and down stairs

It doesn't matter what other people at school are saying.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It doesn't matter what other people at school are saying.

but with a knee sprain should u be able to walk up & down the stairs
but with a knee sprain should u be able to walk up & down the stairs

depends how bad it is
Original post by Tiger Rag
depends how bad it is
well I can walk but with pain so is it bad or.... And also wh are people saying that then they say I don't have crutches and I CAN walk up and down the stairs but I shouldn't be able to but because I can walk up and down the stairs not normally but with a bit of difficulty does that mean its not even a bit bad so ita only a teeny weeny sprain or is it bad but not too bad because I can walk but with some difficulty

Quick Reply

Latest