The Student Room Group

Unsure what to do.

Hey there, I hope that this post isn't too long - I just needed somewhere to go.

Last week I started my second semester in my first year. I was quite surprised when I looked at my timetable to see four modules, instead of the two I was doing last semester. I emailed my admissions office about this and they got in touch with my lecturer, who informed me as I failed to register for three modules last semester, I'd have to do four this semester. I informed him that I had not been told about this at all (And I hadn't, I even took a quick scan through my emails to double-check) and there is no mention of having to register for additional modules - ones that don't seem that relevant to my course.

Anyway, the thought of having to do four modules this semester instead of the three I should have done is already filling me up with dread, as not only do I suddenly not have as much free time as I did last semester, but having to do two modules which don't seem that related to my course (Politics) is concerning me, especially as I was already struggling with the assessments for my 'main' modules.

Has anyone else been in a similar boat, or is there any advice anyone at all can offer me?
You messed up by not counting the credits when registering for your modules and not understanding that you have free credits that you have to sign up for in order to make up the 360 needed for a degree, you just have to accept it to be honest.
Original post by Falerian
Hey there, I hope that this post isn't too long - I just needed somewhere to go.

Last week I started my second semester in my first year. I was quite surprised when I looked at my timetable to see four modules, instead of the two I was doing last semester. I emailed my admissions office about this and they got in touch with my lecturer, who informed me as I failed to register for three modules last semester, I'd have to do four this semester. I informed him that I had not been told about this at all (And I hadn't, I even took a quick scan through my emails to double-check) and there is no mention of having to register for additional modules - ones that don't seem that relevant to my course.

Anyway, the thought of having to do four modules this semester instead of the three I should have done is already filling me up with dread, as not only do I suddenly not have as much free time as I did last semester, but having to do two modules which don't seem that related to my course (Politics) is concerning me, especially as I was already struggling with the assessments for my 'main' modules.

Has anyone else been in a similar boat, or is there any advice anyone at all can offer me?

Its your error. Did you not notice how many modules your coursemates were signed up to and wondered why you had so much free time? You should have known about this when applying through UCAS and before accepting.

Not having as much free time= you go there to study.
Not connected with your course= you should have thought about that when applying and when accpeting. You selected the course and its associated syllabus.

If it were me then I would be better organised and really knuckle down to catch up. If you dont do enough credits, then they could decide to prevent you moving forward into your second year. the way this is deccided is on your uni website or in the student handbook. It is your job to know.
Reply 3
I appreciate the comments blaming me, and I acknowledge to some degree it is my fault. I can assure however, that on the webpage for this specific course it does make no mention of this. I'm afraid I did not make any course mates to compare timetables with.
Reply 4
I appreciate the comments blaming me, and I acknowledge to some degree it is my fault. I can assure however, that on the webpage for this specific course it does make no mention of this. I'm afraid I did not make any course mates to compare timetables with.

If you're in the UK, then you have to take and pass 120 credits a year. If you don't do that, then you won't pass the year. Either you do the work required or you drop out. There's no wiggle room for negotiation here. Ask your Student Union for advice, but I suspect those are your options. The uni aren't going to just give you credits because of an admin issue. You have to find a way of studying for them and passing them.
OP this is not your fault. Don't you have a personal tutor? It's really their responsibility especially for first years. If you did see an advisor who signed off on your choices then you should probably complain. During my undergrad they had to check you conformed to the degree requirements before you could be registered to your chosen modules.

There should be a student handbook for your course that outlines precisely how many credits you will need to progress/graduate. Find this and devise a plan that suits you better and take this to your personal tutor / course director. I would also contact student services who can offer advice and tell you who to talk to better than I can.

Frankly they should at least let you do the extra first year module next year so it's actually relevant to your course. Doing a random one for credits seems far less helpful.

You may be able to take the credits later such as during your final year project or you may have the option to do any extra semester (though you will need to pay tuition).

I remember when I started first year (now a graduate) we weren't emailed to say we needed to sign up for optional modules, the form to fill in was in a booklet we were sent in the post- it was up to us to read it, check if we had any optional modules and if so to sign up for them before we started.

I can't see how you can get out of doing it, as others have said you need to take 120 credits to pass the year. However if you are struggling with assignments go and see your tutors for advice on how to improve your work.
Reply 7

Have you thought about going to your student union or a study sessions support system at your university? Im currently in my third year at Glyndwr University and I had 4 modules in my first semester and it was allot to keep up with and it does seem over whelming especially if you have part time work as well but it is manageable, just need to put in allot of hard work and manage time well. There are facilities at the university that should be able to assist you with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending