The Student Room Group

Need advice for choosing A-Levels

Hey there all, very new here so forgive any mistakes.

Currently choosing my A-Levels for the coming 2 years. I really need to know if these three subjects are a good choice:

Drama & Theatre; History; Government & Politics.

Really not sure if I should do Biology instead of Politics. I think i'm more likely to do something like History, History & Politics or Law at Uni, however the career choices linked with biology (Zoology, Veterinarian, Botanist) also vaguely interest me. However I've heard Biology is a huge amount of work, and i'm not amazing at the subject, so i'm hesitant.

Any help/advice is appreciated,

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Does the sixth form you're going to attend have 'trial lessons'?

They're typically held on designated Year 11 days where you can try a range of lessons for an hour or two to see if you like the topics or not?
Original post by Vexalti
Really not sure if I should do Biology instead of Politics. I think i'm more likely to do something like History, History & Politics or Law at Uni, however the career choices linked with biology (Zoology, Veterinarian, Botanist)

You will need to take chemistry for anything like veterinary medicine, and most zoology courses want two science subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by Glassapple
You will need to take chemistry for anything like veterinary medicine, and most zoology courses want two science subjects.

That's actually a really great help, thanks. Since I won't choose two sciences, I may as well just commit to Politics. Do you think those three subjects will be good for Russel Group Uni's?
Original post by Vexalti
That's actually a really great help, thanks. Since I won't choose two sciences, I may as well just commit to Politics. Do you think those three subjects will be good for Russel Group Uni's?

Your subjects will be fine, but have you considered English literature? It's a 'stronger' subject than drama to the Russell Group.
Reply 5
Original post by Glassapple
Your subjects will be fine, but have you considered English literature? It's a 'stronger' subject than drama to the Russell Group.

I have, yeah, but i'm really not that great at all the analysis of texts, I struggle with it at GSCEs, in terms of looking at the in-depth language and techniques. I feel like i'd struggle and find the subject boring, whereas i'm good and enjoy Drama. Would Russel Group Unis still consider me even though I do a Drama & Theatre A - Level?
Original post by Vexalti
I have, yeah, but i'm really not that great at all the analysis of texts, I struggle with it at GSCEs, in terms of looking at the in-depth language and techniques. I feel like i'd struggle and find the subject boring, whereas i'm good and enjoy Drama. Would Russel Group Unis still consider me even though I do a Drama & Theatre A - Level?

English would make your application more 'competitive', but if you think you'll do better in drama, then do that instead. Drama isn't a bad subject and has a lot of links with English anyway, so it's up to you how confident you feel in either. Bear in mind that a lot of people applying for the same courses as you will be taking English though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest