The Student Room Group

Gross Misconduct - Fired help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by josh_v
No idea. That was the only explanation of what it was that I got. But I guess the rules are the rules...

The boat may have sailed, but if OP was improperly trained or if the rules were not clearly set out, he may have grounds to challenge the outcome and he should not allow buzzwords like ''fraud'' force him to just accept the decision, but I do understand it sounds serious and if you create enough fear people will thank you for not screwing them harder, even as you screw them. OP should explain the situation a little more.
Original post by l'etranger
Why is that a sackable offense?

Because they will have company procedures before authorising anything. He made a decision not to follow it thereby putting the company at risk by giving credit to someone the company says he should not have. That puts them at extra risk of losing money.

Stupid decision and i wouldnt trust them to have the sense of judgement required. he knew the rules but went ahead. You get sacked not just for that and the dishonesty, but you are also a risk in the future. they also dont know how many times it has happened previously.
Original post by josh_v

Who knows. Easy to do things without thinking sometimes.

It is, but then that's not the sort of person you want put in a position of responsibility.
Reply 43
Original post by 999tigger
It is, but then that's not the sort of person you want put in a position of responsibility.

And thats why you dont tell them unless asked!
Why is that a sackable offense?

Two reasons

From the company perspective if someone fails a credit check, they are a credit risk. They don't want their employees offering a second chance to customers by running a second check on a different system/ data to get them a passing score. It gets riskier customers taken on and given credit.

From the customers perspective having a credit check reduces your credit worthiness, so you only want credit checks to be carried out when you need them and when you think you will pass.

For the former reason primarily, companies will require their staff doing credit checks to run just one carefully formatted check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Reality Check
The point of a pre-employment vetting process is that the agency shares information gathered from multiple sources. I haven't avoided your questions, I just can't be bothered to argue with someone who hasn't even yet been installed in their first job. I've better things to do, like helping other people. If you want to believe that things like this can just be hidden away without ever coming to light then that's fine!

I know what the point of pre-employment vetting process is. Its not difficult to understand, I've been through it.

All I'm asking is for a little bit more information about the points you raised. Thats not an argument, thats a conversation. Im curious to know the answer to the questions I raised. You clearly have more knowledge in this area that I do. I wasn't aware that there was a database which companies submitted their internal HR information to, and that agencies were able to access. You clearly have the information about such a database. All you have to do is share.

Or what I think is more likely is that you dont have a clue what youre talking about, and now deciding you 'cant be bothered to argue' because you can't provide anything to the thoughtless posts you made.

Given that you average 25 posts a day, its unlikely that you have anything better to be doing.
There are no databases that companies share! Vetting companies go to public agencies like the police etc and ask for what information the DPA allows them to be given. Then they go to exam boards and they will ring up all previous employers they know about. If you don't have something on your CV and it isn't so significant in your life that no one they speak to is likely to mention it they won't know about it. The checking isn't Big Brother, there are rules about how personal data is used and allowed to be used and vetting companies that want to keep operating follow the rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by josh_v
And thats why you dont tell them unless asked!

I never said he should. I'm well aware of what he can and cnat legally do and where the line is. The problem with the offence as described is it wasnt just a mistake it was a conscious dishonest decision. Presumably he is bright, but what a dopey sense of judgement.
Original post by threeportdrift
There are no databases that companies share! Vetting companies go to public agencies like the police etc and ask for what information the DPA allows them to be given. Then they go to exam boards and they will ring up all previous employers they know about. If you don't have something on your CV and it isn't so significant in your life that no one they speak to is likely to mention it they won't know about it. The checking isn't Big Brother, there are rules about how personal data is used and allowed to be used and vetting companies that want to keep operating follow the rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. And a vetting company who has permission to approach previous employers would be able to find out as much information as that employer was willing to give. Gaps in employment, where an employee has deliberately missed out a job because, perhaps, they were dismissed from the position, can also be uncovered:

http://www.securitywatchdog.org.uk/screening-services/employment-history
Reply 49
Exactly. And a vetting company who has permission to approach previous employers would be able to find out as much information as that employer was willing to give. Gaps in employment, where an employee has deliberately missed out a job because, perhaps, they were dismissed from the position, can also be uncovered:

http://www.securitywatchdog.org.uk/screening-services/employment-history

Buddy, read the thread.

No gap in employment, he's a student. Therefore nothing to investigate.

If he doesn't put that part time gig on his CV, it never happened.
Reply 50
I've removed off topic content. You should do the same. I have nothing to be embarrassed about - you flatter yourself.

The content was largely on topic. We were discussing the impact of being dismissed from a job and potential employers access to that information. The posts where I quoted you still contain the information, so its easy to check.

You did say you had better things to do...
It's a sad situation for OP and I sympathise, but taking it from a dismissal for gross misconduct to criminal offences is not going to help your financial career :laugh:

But his financial career is already finished so what does he have to lose?
Reply 52
Original post by josh_v

According to my notifications I have a quote from you, but it doesn't seem to exist. Possibly mods didn't like it.
Are You sure You weren't set Up? I wouldn't Care large retailers rebrand because they are dodgy And fraudulent! Everyone knows The big ones just cannot physically Care about their customers enough because theyre all understaffed just get a new job. My relatives personally know some of The managers on them And their nothing but gangsters And thugs who In their own mind are great. The rich people And The real big Dogs trade In stock markets And run private companies.

Also The saying In my country
"Just because The polish woman is good looking And is attractive does not mean she Will work In a bikini car was for less than minimum wage"

But seriously just follow the rules In future! This doesn't seem too bad And I think no one Will Care about The retailers perspective! If You can imagine How many third world people live In developing countries And In The developed world And turns that into a ratio The Numbers could be similarly applied to this situation.
I'm assuming without asking that You work for one of The many large ones with an unbelievably bad reputation with most of the general population. A lot of them are fundamentally not underneath what They were like changent the head And handle of a brush déversé Times means it isn't the same Broom. Most middle aged persons will know what theyre like And no one Will give them sympathy over yourself. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
But his financial career is already finished so what does he have to lose?

Curiously this has always been my view :curious: If I ever get a criminal record, I'm going YOLO it hardcore.
What The company wants And what is légal And not are usually dive different things. Each one keeps its own identity to make sure customers know who They're buying from... Returning customers bring In all their money. Just move on You probably have done nothing wrong!
Original post by Anfanny
What The company wants And what is légal And not are usually dive different things. Each one keeps its own identity to make sure customers know who They're buying from... Returning customers bring In all their money. Just move on You probably have done nothing wrong!

How can he not have done anything wrong?. They investigated and he got fired because he broke the company rules and exposed them to risk due to dishonesty. The OP admits this.
Original post by 999tigger
How can he not have done anything wrong?. They investigated and he got fired because he broke the company rules and exposed them to risk due to dishonesty. The OP admits this.

I'm trying to make him stop making 25 posts à day And move on lol. No one Will care companies are In competition just move on to some where where his skills like best.
Original post by Anfanny
I'm trying to make him stop making 25 posts à day And move on lol. No one Will care companies are In competition just move on to some where where his skills like best.

You cant have followed the thread. There are potentially serious implications for what he did and in particular a recruiter or professional body who get notice of acts of dishonesty tend to be less than impressed including being barred from the profession or automatically having your application binned. People do care. the ossue is how he deals with it without making things worse v minimising the impact on his employment propsects.
I'm not saying he's not! Large retailers commit fraud And trade unfairly all The time. The inconvénience They cause for many people is shockingly And cause secondary problems all The time... i'm talking millions of pounds worth on of overcharging all The time. I really think he should be okay If he dealt with It correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending