The Student Room Group

Unconditional offers. How real are they?

I know somebody who got an unconditional offer to a very prestigious uni. They got AAA at alevel
However now they aren't attending there. I was wondering why not? It's possible they changed there minds however they were so excited I struggle to see this to be true.
Can uni's have subliminal conditions to this supposed unconditional offer which warrant its withdrawal ?
Reply 1
Original post by Studentchesca
I know somebody who got an unconditional offer to a very prestigious uni. They got AAA at alevel
However now they aren't attending there. I was wondering why not? It's possible they changed there minds however they were so excited I struggle to see this to be true.
Can uni's have subliminal conditions to this supposed unconditional offer which warrant its withdrawal ?

EDIT: sorry I think I misunderstood
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2

It's not compulsory to take up an offer. Perhaps they preferred a course at a different university, or they decided to take a gap year, or whatever... maybe just ask them...

An unconditional offer is a real thing.

There's no secret

Spoiler

requirements.
Original post by lukeuser
Maybe this person wasn't doing well at the university, I know the most prestigious universities are known for a heavy workload.

They got AAA at AS level. Could there A2 s have affected things perhaps.
The person never attended.
Original post by jneill
It's not compulsory to take up an offer. Perhaps they preferred a course at a different university, or they decided to take a gap year, or whatever... maybe just ask them...

An unconditional offer is a real thing.

There's no secret

Spoiler

requirements.

They got AAA at AS. Unsure as to what they got at A2. Could the uni withdraw their offer if A2s were flopped ?
An unconditional offer is unconditional. The university cannot withdraw it, but they may put some conditions in, like saying you had to put it as your first choice.
Reply 6
They got AAA at AS. Unsure as to what they got at A2. Could the uni withdraw their offer if A2s were flopped ?

No. Only if they didn't actually sit the exams, because that would be a material change to their application. But getting all E's (or even U's) wouldn't cause an unconditional to be withdrawn.

You are just guessing why they didn't attend. It will be an entirely understandable reason. If it bothers you so much ask them...
Original post by jneill
No. Only if they didn't actually sit the exams, because that would be a material change to their application. But getting all E's (or even U's) wouldn't cause an unconditional to be withdrawn.

You are just guessing why they didn't attend. It will be an entirely understandable reason. If it bothers you so much ask them...

Thanks for help. I heard from someone that students should be careful with so called unconditional offers as they can sometimes have fine print or implicit rules to them (ie- if you flop at A2s it will be withdrawn). Seems obvious that a prestigious uni would withdraw the offer and give it to an candidate who's excelled. But based of the replies nobody has heard of cases like this ... maybe it's a myth!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending