The Student Room Group

Would I really have to pay for damages...?

What exactly does a driving instructors insurance cover? Is it only specifics or does it cover everything? I've never had any accidents, but my instructors always warning me "Careful, you don't want to have to pay for a new tyre." or "You don't want to pay for a new gearbox."

I thought insurance covered all these types of things, and maybe he's just saying this as a scare tactic, but I'm honestly clueless. :/
Original post by DarthChic
What exactly does a driving instructors insurance cover? Is it only specifics or does it cover everything? I've never had any accidents, but my instructors always warning me "Careful, you don't want to have to pay for a new tyre." or "You don't want to pay for a new gearbox."

I thought insurance covered all these types of things, and maybe he's just saying this as a scare tactic, but I'm honestly clueless. :/

If you have third party insurance only, it won't cover damages to your car. Nobody has third party though because it's more expensive (no idea why). I don't know if it's any different for instructors insurance, I presumed the only difference is it allows any provisional licence holder to drive.

Another reason why you might want to pay for damage yourself is to avoid reporting it to your insurance and having to pay a higher premium in future. You'd do this if the damage isn't the result of an accident on the road.
Reply 2

Chances of claiming on insurance for a tyre? Nil. The excess would usually be more than the cost of the tyre unless it was a super expensive BMW or something. Gearbox on the otherhand.. they're very difficult to damage accidentally - sounds like he's just a c**t.

Have you considered changing to a different instructor who doesn't make his students feel bad about their driving?
Reply 3

This is "wear and tear" and isn't covered by insurance. They are running costs that come out of the instructor's (or her company's) own "pocket".

If you are constantly crashing gears or kerbing the wheels then it seems a fair thing to point out to you. I doubt they would actually require you to pay for it though - it's just a (perhaps unsubtle) suggestion to drive better.
Original post by jneill
This is "wear and tear" and isn't covered by insurance. They are running costs that come out of the instructor's (or her company's) own "pocket".

If you are constantly crashing gears or kerbing the wheels then it seems a fair thing to point out to you. I doubt they would actually require you to pay for it though - it's just a (perhaps unsubtle) suggestion to drive better.

I agree.
And with things like wear and tear- the instructor will have quite a few learners driving their car anyway, so (especially with certain parts) they wouldnt be able to pinpoint it to a particular learner to make them pay anyway.
Reply 5
Aside from fire, theft and personal injury, insurance covers physical damage resulting from a collision. It does not cover damage caused by misuse of the car, such as popping tyres on kerbs or knackering the clutch or gearbox out of clumsiness.

The instructor is trying - in his own unique way - to get you to understand car sympathy, most probably because you are being rough and careless with his property, which would cost him a pretty penny if damaged. If you saw somebody throwing a ball close to one of your windows, you'd be somewhat twitchy too, and would probably warn the person throwing that they "wouldn't want to pay for a new window".

If you did damage some part of his car despite numerous warnings not to, he'd be perfectly within his right to ask you to contribute to the repair. Some instructors may even write this into their contracts with you.
Original post by Advisor
If you did damage some part of his car despite numerous warnings not to, he'd be perfectly within his right to ask you to contribute to the repair. Some instructors may even write this into their contracts with you.

I disagree, rather, I think it entirely depends on the circumstance. If it was something obvious like blowing out a tyre on a curb when you'd been warned you were driving too close to the left, or shunting a wall or something, then perhaps he could request you contribute. Beyond that though, things that are just general wear and tear could've easily been caused or contributed to by other students, and in those circumstances I'd have to say the instructor should fit the bill for that, since that's what the students pay £25 an hour for.
Original post by coldplasma
Nobody has third party though because it's more expensive (no idea why).

I think the consensus is that third party only insurance suggests you absolutely don't give a **** about your car and are possibly more reckless as a driver. I don't necessarily buy it as an argument, but there we go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by coldplasma
Another reason why you might want to pay for damage yourself is to avoid reporting it to your insurance and having to pay a higher premium in future. You'd do this if the damage isn't the result of an accident on the road.

By the way, you need to declare accidents to your insurer whether or not you are making a claim.
Reply 9
It is the instructor's insurance, not yours. If you crashed the car it would be done through his insurance, wouldn't have anything to do with you. He is responsible for what happens to the car. Anyway driving instructors have special insurance, it doesn't work like normal insurance.

just fyi, breaking a gear box would not be covered by insurance as its not an accident.

Also I agree about the above regarding paying for damage. If you just damage your own car and no one else is involved, then most of the time (unless it's a ton to repair) its better to get it fixed yourself so that insurance companies won't know about it. I paid £500 to repair my car last year when a deer rammed into the side of me, and as a result I still got my no claims bonus for renewal :smile:
Same thing for 3rd party, if your car is not worth much and you dont want your premiums to skyrocket then 3rd party may be better than comprehensive.
Reply 10
Cool to see so many people replied to my question. It still seems kinda hazy, but I understand if I were to pop a tyre or something similar, I should probably pay for it, since I have a little more experience and should know better (and I don't believe I'm a reckless driver). Though I wonder about the brand new learners, if they were to do the same thing on their first day, and since they clearly have no clue what they're doing the first time around, is it fair if they were forced to pay for damages? But whatever, I'm always trying my best to be careful anyway.
Reply 11
Ok so your instructor needs to be alert and focused to prevent accidents and any form of collision, if anything happens during a lesson even something small like shunting the tire remember your a learner and your paying to learn and be kept safe while doing it so it’s not your fault and you should have to not pay anything all costs should be down to the instructor due to his incompetence you now have had a bad experience that has somewhat effected your confidence I’m a instructor my self and I would never take a penny for the matters mentioned above
Driving instructor insurance does not cover mechanical damage only damage from an accident. This is why instructors want you to take care because if you damage anything through being forceful or ignorant of the advice given it affects the instructors earning ability whilst the car is off the road and pupils lose test days and others lose lessons. Driver Vehicle Standards Agency ADI/PO.

Latest

Trending

Trending