The Student Room Group

Broad shoulders from weight lifting

I only lift dumbbells 8kg max but I've noticed since starting (been doing it for 4 months now) my shoulders have become very broad. As a female I wasn't really aiming for this. Is this just inevitable, or am I doing the wrong exercises?

Scroll to see replies

If you're doing a lot of movements that involve your shoulders it is inevitable.
Original post by peanutbuttercup
I only lift dumbbells 8kg max but I've noticed since starting (been doing it for 4 months now) my shoulders have become very broad. As a female I wasn't really aiming for this. Is this just inevitable, or am I doing the wrong exercises?

You should be grateful of the gain, even as a female. (I say this as a male though). :h:

I remember recently I took a picture of myself after taking a picture of myself two months before and after comparing the two pictures, I was disappointed to see no change in my chest size despite the gym equipment I used to excercise on my chest, as it turned out I'd been using it incorrectly - instead I notices when comparing the two pictures that the tops of my shoulders had grown a little bit, so although I was disappointed that my chest hadn't changed, I still felt grateful to see size increase elsewhere as at least it showed that my efforts weren't a total waste of my time.
Original post by peanutbuttercup

It could be that you're losing body fat overall combined with some muscle gain which is resulting in a more tapered body than previously, which makes you think that your shoulders are getting very broad.

What exercises are you doing with the dumbbells? How many sets/reps?
You haven't got broad shoulders from lifting 8kg

You simply haven't; the amount of muscle required to lift that for just about any lift is very minimal and isn't noticeable
Just no. If you have broad shoulders it's because of your genetic bone structure. Lifting 8kg has done nothing...
Reply 6
Original post by Angry cucumber

You simply haven't; the amount of muscle required to lift that for just about any lift is very minimal and isn't noticeable

That isn't true, hypertrophy doesn't require a lot of weight - and 8kg is definitely enough provided there is enough volume/frequency. Infact, even 5kg would have been enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mashbbk
That isn't true, hypertrophy doesn't require a lot of weight - and 8kg is definitely enough provided there is enough volume/frequency. Infact, even 5kg would have been enough.

Unless OP is a recovering anorexic/ recovering from a debilitating illness; 8kg is not changing anyone's physique in the shoulder department. I implore you to show me examples of people who use no more than 8kg and alter their physique
If you don't want to get to bigher don't lift weights this while 'toning' is the most stupid thing I've heard since trumps policies. If you lift weights of any sorts regularly with a deliberate effort they will get bigger up to a point then they will grow slower think of it as exponential decay until you move up weight and start it again
Reply 9
Unless OP is a recovering anorexic/ recovering from a debilitating illness; 8kg is not changing anyone's physique in the shoulder department. I implore you to show me examples of people who use no more than 8kg and alter their physique

2x 8kg dumbbells almost certainly can cause hypertrophy with shoulder presses.

How heavy was you thinking you'd have to go? 20-30% 1RM has been shown to result in decent hypertrophy given enough reps/sets. Even 10-15% would work even though it wouldn't be efficient.

When I was young (early teens), I've managed to change physique playing with max 5kg drums bell set I was bought.
Wow your a hench geez
Original post by mashbbk
2x 8kg dumbbells almost certainly can cause hypertrophy with shoulder presses.

How heavy was you thinking you'd have to go? 20-30% 1RM has been shown to result in decent hypertrophy given enough reps/sets. Even 10-15% would work even though it wouldn't be efficient.

When I was young (early teens), I've managed to change physique playing with max 5kg drums bell set I was bought.

Highly doubtful. Especially since OP is female, gains would be unnoticeable with light weights.

You didn't 'change your physique' with 5s. You simply saw a minor improvement in terms of broadening of shoulders etc.
You'd also get a pump and a spike in glycogen levels. The actual muscle you gained from using such light weight is very minimal.

Everyone who lifts will get a widening of their frame but females will see this happen over a much longer time frame than men and it won't make them look 'masculine'. This is the point here.

I dare say the vast majority of people who have never lifted before (or similar like bodyweight stuff or a sport, etc.) will find 8kg lateral raises impossible. Much less rear lateral raises. And I mean that, not a single properly executed rep. They would do it with momentum and not hold at the top.

Doing both of these targeting the lateral and posterior delts, would most certainly increase shoulder mass and hence the appearance of broader shoulders.

Me :smile:

In fact in 90% of my workout I use 0kg.
Original post by yudothis
Me :smile:

In fact in 90% of my workout I use 0kg.

Bodyweight exercises isn't what he was meaning though
Original post by Unistudent77
Bodyweight exercises isn't what he was meaning though

I know, but that was tongue-in-cheek about his ridiculous assertion that 8kg dumbbells aren't enough.

I wager you would have to have trained at least a year before there really isn't any variation possible to progress with 8kg.

And we are talking about a girl that apparently just started lifting.
I know, but that was tongue-in-cheek about his ridiculous assertion that 8kg dumbbells aren't enough.

I wager you would have to have trained at least a year before there really isn't any variation possible to progress with 8kg.

A girl that has just started lifting will not have very broad shoulders.

And to your second paragraph, if you are referring to a guy then that's ridiculous. I was using 17.5s/20s after like 6/8 months and i didn't have a great first year of training.

I'd push for OHP over DB pressing but the bar would be too heavy for most beginners

Broad shoulders with 8kg dumbells lol no , although broad shoulders isnt exactly tangible it could be broad to her but small to us.

^THIS.

Women simply do not have the testosterone levels to easily increase their muscle mass without sustained and heavy training. Add to that the 8kg mass you've been using, and it's simply impossible to have turned into Arnie overnight. I think it's probably a result of toning up a bit, losing fat and (I suspect this is the main factor) having rather better posture as a result of the exercise meaning you're standing up straighter and your shoulders are less rounded, hence they look a bit wider.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Broad shoulders with 8kg dumbells lol no , although broad shoulders isnt exactly tangible it could be broad to her but small to us.

For a female just starting, yes, 8kg can go a long way.
Going from x to x+5 will look like a lot to her. Going from x+20 to x+21 for you will look like nothing. And as I said, at some point yes 8kg will probably even lead to no gain.

I was merely pointing out that that poster's attitude was like "8kg hurr durr do you even lift bro". Thoughtless without having taken the time to read the OP and think about it.

Quick Reply

Latest