The Student Room Group

how come I cannot claim benefits?

OK, since graduating from uni 4 years ago, I have only had 14 months of employment (between June 2015 and today, I have only had about 64 days of work).

both of my parents are unemployed and have no savings, I have £10k in savings and havent worked since the start of november. I have applied to numerous paid and volunteer jobs and nobody wants to hire me except for 1 day (and that is to cover for a friend who is getting married). I got rejected from 20 people I contacted this week alone (sent emails to 4 but yet to hear from them).

I have been on the government website and both of the benefits calculators say I am entitled to work. someone I know who used to work for my local job centre (before ti was closed as the government is shutting down all job centres in the UK) told me I can claim universal credit or jobseekers allowance, YET when I phoned the universal credit people, I got rejected straightaway.

unlike a lot of people claiming JSA / credit, who I know for a fact are scamming the government

Spoiler

, I have been rejected from tonnes of different jobs, even shelfstacking jobs at supermarkets, sales jobs, etc and I am actively looking for work.

so, should I be entitled to benefits / credits, and how do I go about it?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

I have been on the government website and both of the benefits calculators say I am entitled to workt?

It should say entitled to universal credit and job seekers allowance.
You need to phone up to make a claim.

Anyone with savings or property over 5.5k won't get the full amount possible.
OK, since graduating from uni 4 years ago, I have only had 14 months of employment (between June 2015 and today, I have only had about 64 days of work).

both of my parents are unemployed and have no savings, I have £10k in savings and havent worked since the start of november. I have applied to numerous paid and volunteer jobs and nobody wants to hire me except for 1 day (and that is to cover for a friend who is getting married). I got rejected from 20 people I contacted this week alone (sent emails to 4 but yet to hear from them).

I have been on the government website and both of the benefits calculators say I am entitled to work. someone I know who used to work for my local job centre (before ti was closed as the government is shutting down all job centres in the UK) told me I can claim universal credit or jobseekers allowance, YET when I phoned the universal credit people, I got rejected straightaway.

unlike a lot of people claiming JSA / credit, who I know for a fact are scamming the government

Spoiler

, I have been rejected from tonnes of different jobs, even shelfstacking jobs at supermarkets, sales jobs, etc and I am actively looking for work.

You ask them why they said you werent entitled. You are either eligible or you are not. Visit a Job centre or a Citizens advice and ask for a benefits assessment, then if eligible submit a claim. You dont sound like you made a proper application.

Spoiler

You need to go to the CAB and have someone work through the benefits calculation with you.

I think the problem is though that although your savings do not disqualify you from UC, the amount of your savings (called tariff income) taken into account reduces the value of your claim to nil.
Reply 5
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
You need to phone up to make a claim.

Anyone with savings or property over 5.5k won't get the full amount possible.

I am aware of that (Im ok getting a tiny amount tbh, as long as I can pay for bills, car service / repairs and finally have enough to go to the gym)

from what I know from HMRC and research I have done, 16k is the absolute cutoff for benefits (12k for 1 of theme). in this entire tax year so far, I have earned just over 9k, with the job I have In a couple of weeks, it would be 9.3k. if you take away my bills, professional fees, etc, my overall savings will be below 10k of the end of the tax year.

the sad thing is that the government doent take into account if people are the only people with income for a whole family. my dad is disabled (has 1 leg & a degenerative neuromuscular condition) and he isnt even entitled to PIP or carers allowance, despite the fact me and my mum have to look after him on a constant basis.

in fact, most people borrow from their parents. In my case, my parents owe me nealry 10k because we have virtually no net income. tis a sad reality
I am aware of that (Im ok getting a tiny amount tbh, as long as I can pay for bills, car service / repairs and finally have enough to go to the gym)

from what I know from HMRC and research I have done, 16k is the absolute cutoff for benefits (12k for 1 of theme). in this entire tax year so far, I have earned just over 9k, with the job I have In a couple of weeks, it would be 9.3k. if you take away my bills, professional fees, etc, my overall savings will be below 10k of the end of the tax year.

the sad thing is that the government doent take into account if people are the only people with income for a whole family. my dad is disabled (has 1 leg & a degenerative neuromuscular condition) and he isnt even entitled to PIP or carers allowance, despite the fact me and my mum have to look after him on a constant basis.

in fact, most people borrow from their parents. In my case, my parents owe me nealry 10k because we have virtually no net income. tis a sad reality

Just go and get a proper benefits check where people can look at all your details.
Your dad should definitely be appealing the PIP decision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending