The Student Room Group

****ing lost it today and possibly broke his mobile phone. Is my anger justified?

Scroll to see replies

Humungous overreaction.
Reply 41
Original post by Reality Check
That's great then :smile: but I think it's difficult to see calling her childish, over emotional and telling her she's humiliated herself as anything other than judging. I'm sure you do want to help though :smile:

Anyone can see that this behavior is childish and OP is unstable atm, I'm pretty sure OP realizes it too. And it's clear from OP's threads that their actions weren't entirely beneficial to the relationship.
Reply 42
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Humungous overreaction.

Well what would you do then? Bear in mind that this wasn't the first time, like I've already explained.
It's ok if you think I've overreacted. I just want to know how other people would react.
A bit of an overreaction tbh ngl.
I mean it's understandable to be annoyed in that situation but you could've handled it a bit better
Original post by Ciel.
Well what would you do then? Bear in mind that this wasn't the first time, like I've already explained.
It's ok if you think I've overreacted. I just want to know how other people would react.

Silent treatment
Original post by Ciel.

Don't make him dinner? Do the same? Ignore him? Explain to him, 'I won't do xxx until you stop using your phone' or any other 147 things... Don't throw his phone down the toilet!!!
My boyfriend did that once.

Well basically we were out at Costa and he came on the train to visit me from Glasgow (I'm in Edinburgh) and he just wouldnt put his phone down. Eventually he did and it was fine but he was on his phone for like 20 mins and it did annoy me.

After we went home I texted him my concerns and he didnt take it too well as he got a bit angry, but in the end he saw my point of view and I saw his. He just got a bit carried away, and I just wanted a bit of attention.

He hasnt done it since. You should just talk to him about it rather than doing actions that will piss both of you off even more. Imo, you did overrreact but you arent wrong to feel this way.
Reply 47
Original post by EC
Anyone can see that this behavior is childish and OP is unstable atm, I'm pretty sure OP realizes it too. And it's clear from OP's threads that their actions weren't entirely beneficial to the relationship.

It's natural to get angry sometimes. This has nothing to do with being emotionally stable or not.
Original post by saraxh
Silent treatment

Doesn't work lol
Reply 49
Original post by hezzlington
It's not okay. But in relationships, especially ones we are particularly invested in, we tend to do silly and childish things sometimes when we're really angry.

It's like, if we were in a nightclub and I kept grabbing your ass over and over again, even though you've repeatedly told me to stop, then you just turn around and throw your drink in my face or slap me; your behaviour is totally wrong and unacceptable as hitting people is never okay. But was your response justified?

Well....maybe so.

Nice example as it happens a lot. Personally, I always walked away, I don't like starting arguments. I don't see the point.

But my friend threw her drink in her bf's face whilst we were clubbing and regretted it after, it caused a huge scene in front of everyone and the next day she realized she could have behaved entirely different and not let her emotions overcome her judgment at the moment. It was reckless and exaggerated.

It was justified at that time because they were both pretty drunk, but when sober it was easy to tell that the situation escalated into something stupid.

And anyway, I don't want anyone to think that getting aggressive over your partner not paying attention to you is the right way to do it. I know relationships are not easy and we are only human so we make mistakes, but it's best that we learn from them.
Original post by TheGoodPharaoh
Doesn't work lol

For me it does :colone:
Reply 51
Original post by Ciel.
It's natural to get angry sometimes. This has nothing to do with being emotionally stable or not.

What @sameehaiqbal said.

You should just talk to him about it rather than doing actions that will piss both of you off even more. Imo, you did overrreact but you arent wrong to feel this way.
Original post by EC
Nice example as it happens a lot. Personally, I always walked away, I don't like starting arguments. I don't see the point.

But my friend threw her drink in her bf's face whilst we were clubbing and regretted it after, it caused a huge scene in front of everyone and the next day she realized she could have behaved entirely different and not let her emotions overcome her judgment at the moment. It was reckless and exaggerated.

It was justified at that time because they were both pretty drunk, but when sober it was easy to tell that the situation escalated into something stupid.

And anyway, I don't want anyone to think that getting aggressive over your partner not paying attention to you is the right way to do it. I know relationships are not easy and we are only human so we make mistakes, but it's best that we learn from them.

Because you're an angel! :hugs:
Reply 53
Original post by saraxh
Silent treatment

Didn't work before.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Don't make him dinner? Do the same? Ignore him? Explain to him, 'I won't do xxx until you stop using your phone' or any other 147 things... Don't throw his phone down the toilet!!!

I swear this was the last time I made ****ing dinner for us. This is the 2nd time he completely ruined it.
Talking to him didn't help, he's been doing this for like 2 weeks now.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
My boyfriend did that once.

Well basically we were out at Costa and he came on the train to visit me from Glasgow (I'm in Edinburgh) and he just wouldnt put his phone down. Eventually he did and it was fine but he was on his phone for like 20 mins and it did annoy me.

After we went home I texted him my concerns and he didnt take it too well as he got a bit angry, but in the end he saw my point of view and I saw his. He just got a bit carried away, and I just wanted a bit of attention.

He hasnt done it since. You should just talk to him about it rather than doing actions that will piss both of you off even more. Imo, you did overrreact but you arent wrong to feel this way.

That must have been annoying, especially during your holiday.. Well, I told him a number of times (just not today) and it didn't help, so..
Reply 54
Down the loo was a bit much, just confiscating it would have been adequate. Best apologise, try for some make-up sex and a post-coital summit to agree smart phone rules at dinner going forward..
Original post by Ciel.
Ugh this makes me look like some kind of dumb excuse of a house-wif....ugh husband doesn't it... You're probably talking about the time when I binned his dinner.

Thank you for this post, I knew that at least some people WOULD understand lol. It's easy for people to say that I overreacted but still, when someone does this to you..it really gets on your nerves doesn't it.

Yeah, it did.

What am I supposed to say to him, though? I've already asked him, a few weeks ago, whether he's still attracted to me, if he wants me to move out and so on. He reassured me that he still wants to be with me and all that crap.

Didn't seem to work before.

I would be, of course. But I know that he crossed the line, too.

Yeah I was referring to that.

I can kinda see why you would be mad, especially if you asked him to stop numerous times, but breaking his phone was over the top imho. You could have just walked away from the table.
Reply 56
Original post by saraxh
Maybe OP built up all their anger and let it out today. It was a overreaction though.
I do the same thing sometimes.

That is way you talk about your feelings so your relationship doesn't tumble and reaches this point. :frown:

And sometimes emotions are hard to understand, our own emotions are a pain in the ass. But it's best we clear our head and seek some space.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.
Didn't work before.

I swear this was the last time I made ****ing dinner for us. This is the 2nd time he completely ruined it.
Talking to him didn't help, he's been doing this for like 2 weeks now.

That must have been annoying, especially during your holiday.. Well, I told him a number of times (just not today) and it didn't help, so..

If it didnt help, take some time apart. Take a break to make him realise your worth and that you arent there to be ignored.
Reply 58
Original post by Zarek
Down the loo was a bit much, just confiscating it would have been adequate. Best apologise, try for some make-up sex and a post-coital summit to agree smart phone rules at dinner going forward..

This is a great idea!!!!! ^
Original post by Ciel.
What would you do then? I already said that I've asked him to ****ing stop doing that before, many times, and it didn't help.

So you damage his expensive belongings instead :rofl: Chill yourself, your behaviour was totally unjustified. Everyone gets angry and you had every right to be angry, but how you controlled that anger leaves a LOT to be desired.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest