The Student Room Group

Your thoughts on Sheffielders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by ANM775
@RedManc

how is Sheffield for women?

I was up in manchester looking for a house to buy last year. I liked the area but ended up rushing into buying someplace else. The area I am in now seems quite good for women [lots better than London] ..but If I looked for a property around manchester/leeds/liverpool area etc I'd get much more for my money than I can get where I currently am.

I am not sure if I want to move again, but if I do I will definately be checking out Leeds,... I'm wondering if Sheffield is worth me checking out too.

please answer the following questions:

ethnicity breakdown?: how much people are white/black/east asian/south asian/other,
just give me a rough estimate?
I would go by census figures but notice they are often false and typically underestimate the non white population.

what is the nightlife like? is there much on offer there? much clubs?

typical male to female ratio? typically how much males to females do you see in venues on nights out..?

public transport. how much are the buses? are they 24 hours or do they stop and start and like 11pm/6am?

how easy is it to meet new people/friends?
London is good as you can find plenty on meetup.com, manchester is okish [has less on offer] ...where I am right now ..it's hard to meet new people ..there's not much on offer online.

in general terms of calibre/beauty how would you class the women?

S class, A class, B class, C class [and yes, S class is above A class. Those who have raced Chocobo's in the Gold Saucer [Final Fantasy VII] will know this]

for point of reference I rank London A class, Manchester S class [dem students...]

Spoiler

Sheffield is excellent for women. If you want to know more about how Sheffield is like for women ask @Nirvana1989-1994.

On demographics:
The United Kingdom Census 2001 reported a resident population for Sheffield of 513,234, a 2% decline from the 1991 census.[53] The city is part of the wider Sheffield urban area, which had a population of 640,720.[54] In 2011 the racial composition of Sheffield's population was 84% White (81% White British, 0.5% White Irish, 0.1% Gypsy or Irish Traveller, 2.3% Other White), 2.4% of mixed race (1.0% White and Black Caribbean, 0.2% White and Black African, 0.6% White and Asian, 0.6% Other Mixed), 8% Asian (1.1% Indian, 4% Pakistani, 0.6% Bangladeshi, 1.3% Chinese, 1.0% Other Asian), 3.6% Black (2.1% African, 1% Caribbean, 0.5% Other Black), 1.5% Arab and 0.7% of other ethnic heritage.[55] In terms of religion, 53% of the population are Christian, 6% are Muslim, 0.6% are Hindu, 0.4% are Buddhist, 0.2% are Sikh, 0.1% are Jewish, 0.4% belong to another religion, 31% have no religion and 7% did not state their religion.[56] The largest quinary group is 20- to 24-year-olds (9%) because of the large university student population.[57]

On the economy:
After many years of decline, the Sheffield economy is going through a strong revival. The 2004 Barclays Bank Financial Planning study[65] revealed that, in 2003, the Sheffield district of Hallam was the highest ranking area outside London for overall wealth, the proportion of people earning over £60,000 a year standing at almost 12%. A survey by Knight Frank[66] revealed that Sheffield was the fastest-growing city outside London for office and residential space and rents during the second half of 2004. This can be seen by the current surge of redevelopments, including the City Lofts Tower and accompanying St Paul's Place, Velocity Living and the Moor redevelopment,[67] the forthcoming NRQ and the recently completed Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens, Millennium Galleries and many projects under the Sheffield One redevelopment agency. The Sheffield economy grew from £5.6 billion in 1997 (1997 GVA)[68] to £9.2 billion in 2007 (2007 GVA).[69]
Original post by RedManc
Sheffield is excellent for women. If you want to know more about how Sheffield is like for women ask @Nirvana1989-1994.

On demographics:
The United Kingdom Census 2001 reported a resident population for Sheffield of 513,234, a 2% decline from the 1991 census.[53] The city is part of the wider Sheffield urban area, which had a population of 640,720.[54] In 2011 the racial composition of Sheffield's population was 84% White (81% White British, 0.5% White Irish, 0.1% Gypsy or Irish Traveller, 2.3% Other White), 2.4% of mixed race (1.0% White and Black Caribbean, 0.2% White and Black African, 0.6% White and Asian, 0.6% Other Mixed), 8% Asian (1.1% Indian, 4% Pakistani, 0.6% Bangladeshi, 1.3% Chinese, 1.0% Other Asian), 3.6% Black (2.1% African, 1% Caribbean, 0.5% Other Black), 1.5% Arab and 0.7% of other ethnic heritage.[55] In terms of religion, 53% of the population are Christian, 6% are Muslim, 0.6% are Hindu, 0.4% are Buddhist, 0.2% are Sikh, 0.1% are Jewish, 0.4% belong to another religion, 31% have no religion and 7% did not state their religion.[56] The largest quinary group is 20- to 24-year-olds (9%) because of the large university student population.[57]

On the economy:
After many years of decline, the Sheffield economy is going through a strong revival. The 2004 Barclays Bank Financial Planning study[65] revealed that, in 2003, the Sheffield district of Hallam was the highest ranking area outside London for overall wealth, the proportion of people earning over £60,000 a year standing at almost 12%. A survey by Knight Frank[66] revealed that Sheffield was the fastest-growing city outside London for office and residential space and rents during the second half of 2004. This can be seen by the current surge of redevelopments, including the City Lofts Tower and accompanying St Paul's Place, Velocity Living and the Moor redevelopment,[67] the forthcoming NRQ and the recently completed Winter Gardens, Peace Gardens, Millennium Galleries and many projects under the Sheffield One redevelopment agency. The Sheffield economy grew from £5.6 billion in 1997 (1997 GVA)[68] to £9.2 billion in 2007 (2007 GVA).[69]

I'm not sure I can trust her opinion on this tbh.....

yeah, the census figures are a bit old though. I don't really trust them. In my old area of London apparently it's like officially 60% white [2011], but that is not true at all, it's like 70% ethnic. I've asked multiple people from my area if they would say the area is 60% white and all those I asked disagreed.

can't trust census figures...

I notice a lot of other areas seem to have false statistics as well...
Reply 242
Original post by ANM775
I'm not sure I can trust her opinion on this tbh.....

yeah, the census figures are a bit old though. I don't really trust them. In my old area of London apparently it's like officially 60% white [2011], but that is not true at all, it's like 70% ethnic. I've asked multiple people from my area if they would say the area is 60% white and all those I asked disagreed.

can't trust census figures...

I notice a lot of other areas seem to have false statistics as well...

Which area of London did you live in
Original post by RedManc
Which area of London did you live in

south east london

[I'm not being any more specific than that on a public forum]
Reply 244
Original post by ANM775
south east london

[I'm not being any more specific than that on a public forum]

I used to live in Beckton for about a year, so I kind of know London. Those statistics might be wrong. Where I live in Sheffield, High Green, it is about 97% white, if you go to central Sheffield the white population would be between 50 and 60%. In Sheffield Hallam, the rich part, it probably about 75% white.
Original post by RedManc
I used to live in Beckton for about a year, so I kind of know London. Those statistics might be wrong. Where I live in Sheffield, High Green, it is about 97% white, if you go to central Sheffield the white population would be between 50 and 60%. In Sheffield Hallam, the rich part, it probably about 75% white.

:wink:

ok. cheers
Original post by ANM775
@RedManc

how is Sheffield for women?

I was up in manchester looking for a house to buy last year. I liked the area but ended up rushing into buying someplace else. The area I am in now seems quite good for women [lots better than London] ..but If I looked for a property around manchester/leeds/liverpool area etc I'd get much more for my money than I can get where I currently am.

I am not sure if I want to move again, but if I do I will definately be checking out Leeds,... I'm wondering if Sheffield is worth me checking out too.

please answer the following questions:

ethnicity breakdown?: how much people are white/black/east asian/south asian/other,
just give me a rough estimate?
I would go by census figures but notice they are often false and typically underestimate the non white population.

what is the nightlife like? is there much on offer there? much clubs?

typical male to female ratio? typically how much males to females do you see in venues on nights out..?

public transport. how much are the buses? are they 24 hours or do they stop and start and like 11pm/6am?

how easy is it to meet new people/friends?
London is good as you can find plenty on meetup.com, manchester is okish [has less on offer] ...where I am right now ..it's hard to meet new people ..there's not much on offer online.

in general terms of calibre/beauty how would you class the women?

S class, A class, B class, C class [and yes, S class is above A class. Those who have raced Chocobo's in the Gold Saucer [Final Fantasy VII] will know this]

for point of reference I rank London A class, Manchester S class [dem students...]

Spoiler

Please don't come here. :h:
Reply 248
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

Why not?
Original post by RedManc
Why not?

Don't like him.

Plus, he said he 'doesn't trust my opinion'! :angry:

Seems like it might be a bit rural though?

tell me something truthful about the place to put me off then :biggrin:
Original post by ANM775

Homeless problem. I'm not joking, we have a really bad homeless problem here.
Reply 252
Don't like him.

Plus, he said he 'doesn't trust my opinion'! :angry:

Alreyt :h:
Reply 253
Original post by ANM775
Seems like it might be a bit rural though?

It's a bit of both. That goes with the whole of South Yorkshire. As seen in the film Kes, which is one of my favourites.
Homeless problem. I'm not joking, we have a really bad homeless problem here.

So has manchester, so has the current place where I live.

I've gotton used to it now :h:

try again please.

get your thinking cap on.

you wouldn't us to somehow end up as neighbours :tongue:
Original post by ANM775
So has manchester, so has the current place where I live.

I've gotton used to it now :h:

try again please.

get your thinking cap on.

you wouldn't us to somehow end up as neighbours :tongue:

Yep-worse case scenario. :angry:

But, I doubt you could afford where I live. :h:
Original post by RedManc
It's a bit of both. That goes with the whole of South Yorkshire. As seen in the film Kes, which is one of my favourites.

As a city boy I prefer the concrete.

My area where I am now is a bit rural ...I guess i've gotton used to it, but still prefer the city feeling though.
Reply 257
Original post by ANM775
As a city boy I prefer the concrete.

My area where I am now is a bit rural ...I guess i've gotton used to it, but still prefer the city feeling though.

You can get the inner city Sheffield, but those areas are run down.

Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Yep-worse case scenario. :angry:

But, I doubt you could afford where I live. :h:

I haven't checked out the house prices there yet.

I would likely be renting out spare rooms in my house, ..I don't really know if there is much of a rental market there though. Manchester had a lot of students looking to rent...
Original post by ANM775
I haven't checked out the house prices there yet.

I would likely be renting out spare rooms in my house, ..I don't really know if there is much of a rental market there though. Manchester had a lot of students looking to rent...

They're pretty good. :h:

Argh, I'll be a student soon. (if all goes well) :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest