The Student Room Group

Failed driving test 5 times!! :(

So I saw a driving test thread about someone moaning about failing 3 times. Well I failed for the 5th time today. Is it best I give up now? Seeing as I can't drive. I promised myself that if I failed 5th time I'd just assume driving isn't for me and just stop. But today my examiner at the end said when I started driving he thought I was going to pass. He said my driving really isn't bad at all. And he was 'not just saying it.' I know myself that it's my nerves getting the better of me each time. :redface: But still falling 5 times shows I can't really drive I mean I do stupid things and fail.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know how deflating it is to fail over and over again but you shouldn't given up entirely. Some people pass first time, others take a few times to pass and then others may take 10 attempts to pass. Are you a nervous person in general, outwith of driving (like myself :frown: )? Obviously, there will be some nerves there before your test but if you are overly nervous, that can really have an impact on your driving ability and lead to blunders that can make you fail your test. Your instructor has confidence in your ability to drive and you may just have to tweek your little imperfect driving habits here and there to become good enough to pass. I wouldn't give up entirely if I were you, though I know exactly how you feel. Do something this weekend to perk yourself - treat yourself to something nice, have fun with friends and worry about it all next week. Book some more lessons, ask your instructor for more feedback on where you have went wrong in past tests and when you feel ready, book your test again.

Moved to learning to drive :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gabriellakhan
So I saw a driving test thread about someone moaning about failing 3 times. Well I failed for the 5th time today. Is it best I give up now? Seeing as I can't drive. I promised myself that if I failed 5th time I'd just assume driving isn't for me and just stop. But today my examiner at the end said when I started driving he thought I was going to pass. He said my driving really isn't bad at all. And he was 'not just saying it.' I know myself that it's my nerves getting the better of me each time. :redface: But still falling 5 times shows I can't really drive I mean I do stupid things and fail.

Don't give up!! I've known a few people who have failed just as many times, if not more! They didn't give up, and they're now on the road driving their own cars :-)

Do you know what it is exactly that you fail on? Has it been different things each time? Have you spoken to your driving instructor about it? It could just be nerves !
Original post by Spock's Socks
I know how deflating it is to fail over and over again but you shouldn't given up entirely. Some people pass first time, others take a few times to pass and then others may take 10 attempts to pass. Are you a nervous person in general, outwith of driving? Obviously, there will be some nerves there but if you are overly nervous, that can really have an impact on your driving ability and lead to blunders that can make you fail your test. Your instructor has confidence in your ability to drive and you may just have to tweek your little imperfect driving habits here and there to become good enough to pass. I wouldn't give up entirely if I were you, though I know exactly how you feel. Do something this weekend to perk yourself - treat yourself to something nice, have fun with friends and worry about it all next week. Book some more lessons, ask your instructor for more feedback on where you have went wrong in past tests and when you feel ready, book your test again.

Moved to learning to drive :smile:

I am nervous and anxious in general. :redface: I don't know why I was alright before but I've become really unconfident and anxious recently. I can't even do simple things like contribute in seminars at university. I have no idea what has happened to me. I just feel like a failure all the time. :frown:
Reply 4
I am nervous and anxious in general. :redface: I don't know why I was alright before but I've become really unconfident and anxious recently. I can't even do simple things like contribute in seminars at university. I have no idea what has happened to me. I just feel like a failure all the time. :frown:

Sorry to hear this :frown: I know exactly how you feel. My anxiety became that bad that I took panics in lectures and got so bad I couldn't even attend college any more and I became housebound and couldn't do anything whatsoever :frown: The main thing is when you feel like this is to not give up, especially with driving because once you do pass, you are going to feel so proud of yourself - not just for passing but for passing despite having anxiety and despite struggling. Driving will also give you more independence which can help with anxiety :smile:

If you need to talk to anyone about your anxiety, my inbox is always open and there's a brilliant support thread called MHSS over on the mental health section of TSR that is really helpful :hugs: as for driving tips, I've only passed my theory and not sat my practical test yet (due to nerves too) so can't really help you out too much there I'm afraid :colondollar:
Reply 5

It is not good to compare yourself to others, therein lies your problem. We all learn at our own pace, some people take longer, but that's totally fine. You have spent a lot of money on driving lessons and the test to get this far, don't let this deter you. Instead make it a drive to make you want it more. Do you feel your driving instructor is doing a good job teaching you how to drive? Have you taken lessons before these tests before going for the driving tests? Have you worked on areas you failed on in those driving tests? Have you checked youtube videos? These are the questions you need to ask yourself as they would be advantageous before taking your next driving test. Just because you have done it 5 times and failed does not make you a failure. A winner never quit, but rises even after falling 7 times. Be a winner not a quitter.
(edited 7 years ago)
My friend failed 5 times. Passed on 6th.
So no, don't give up. Especially when you were told by the instructor that they thought you would pass. Shows you can.

Identify where you go wrong. Is it nerves? Or is there something you can brush up on more?
Thank you,
If I'm honest, I just do stupid things in the test that I wouldn't normally do in lessons. I think it's mainly due to nerves since I fail due to things like hesitation and approaching too fast/ slow. I either drive slower or faster when I'm nervous. I know I need to get my nerves together. It would just help if I had more confidence. :redface:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Sorry to hear this :frown: I know exactly how you feel. My anxiety became that bad that I took panics in lectures and got so bad I couldn't even attend college any more and I became housebound and couldn't do anything whatsoever :frown: The main thing is when you feel like this is to not give up, especially with driving because once you do pass, you are going to feel so proud of yourself - not just for passing but for passing despite having anxiety and despite struggling. Driving will also give you more independence which can help with anxiety :smile:

If you need to talk to anyone about your anxiety, my inbox is always open and there's a brilliant support thread called MHSS over on the mental health section of TSR that is really helpful :hugs: as for driving tips, I've only passed my theory and not sat my practical test yet (due to nerves too) so can't really help you out too much there I'm afraid :colondollar:

Thank you so much. :colondollar: You seem like a lovely person tbh your response made me smile. :smile: I'll definitely inbox you since my anxiety is getting the better of me lately.
stay motivated Gabriella
Thank you,
If I'm honest, I just do stupid things in the test that I wouldn't normally do in lessons. I think it's mainly due to nerves since I fail due to things like hesitation and approaching too fast/ slow. I either drive slower or faster when I'm nervous. I know I need to get my nerves together. It would just help if I had more confidence. :redface:

Thank you so much. :colondollar: You seem like a lovely person tbh your response made me smile. :smile: I'll definitely inbox you since my anxiety is getting the better of me lately.

Okay. You've identified the cause. Now look at how to tackle it.
I have a bit of anxiety myself, but haven't got to the driving test stage yet. For lessons, I think just getting into the mindframe helps.
And not putting too much pressure on self.
Maybe try thinking of your test as a driving lesson.
There's no limit on the amount of tests you can do. I know that some people find it easier to not let anyone know about their driving test to avoid any extra pressure.
Also, tell your driving instructor about your nerves if you haven't already. He/she may have some iseful tips. Remember, they have had a number of pupils so they are bound to have come across someone who suffered from nerves too.
And also remember that a little bit of nerves is fairly normal.

Don't beat yourself up about it we all do stupid things. Don't see them as 'fails' view it as a learning experience. It's about how you come back from your setbacks. Maybe you should write down what makes you feel nervous about the driving test e.g. pressure of not passing, making mistakes (we all do them). Then go through them and say to yourself I can do this.

I have my driving test coming up soon and I'm getting real nervous about it. I always think of the worst case scenario, it's just all about having a positive mindset and believing that you can pass.

GO GABRIELLA YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! 😂
I've only been on 6 lessons and about the same with my husband,
But still having problems with gears and getting my centre in the road
Grateful for any tips
Any tips on easy gear changing as I'm still rubbish😦
Don't give up! I failed 6 times and passed on my 7th - what really helped me was a different instructor and doing my test at a different centre. I know this may not be an option but I feel like I had a negative association with the place I kept failing and so changing it felt like a fresh start. Tests are mostly just about how you feel on the day and luck - on the test where I passed I completely messed up a parallel parking manoeuvre and started crying (yay me) and the examiner put her board away and just started talking to me about my job etc like a normal conversation which really put me at ease and I did it perfectly on my second try - if she hadn't have done that I'm sure I would have failed again. It's worth just trying again as being able to drive is amazing :smile:
I know someone who failed eleven times! And another someone who doesn't tell anyone how many times because it's well over eleven, keep going!!

A tip is don't tell people when your test is and only tell them you have passed! That way you don't have to go looking like a loser (which you aren't) but people assume.

You can drive, driving tests are silly sometimes giving you minors and majors for stupid things. Keep going and don't give up! In the end you'll only be a better driver on the road!
Original post by tobyjuggers
Any tips on easy gear changing as I'm still rubbish😦

When I passed my test, I drove my dad's car a bit. His car is a lot bigger and a lot older than the one I learnt in. In my instructor's car, you would be in 3rd for 30mph, 4th for 40mph and so on. In my dad's 10-year-old car, you could be in 5th gear going 30mph! This really shocked me and I struggled so much with gears and I frequently stalled.

What I did was I sat in the car, engine off and everything and I just changed gears. My dad would be sat in the passenger seat. I was looking straight ahead, not looking at the gear box. My dad would tell me "go to 3rd... change to 1st... change to 2nd... go to 4th... go back to 2nd..." so I could practice the moving of the stick without looking or being in any danger. I looked away because when you're driving you can't take your eyes off the road for as long as it sometimes takes to go from 5th to 3rd. That really helped me find the rhythm of the car, especially because it was an old car and the gears were a bit sticky.
Reply 16
Book your test again to the closest date. Keep checking online and book the next available date also contact your instructor and let him know that you want to go for your test again and asks for his availability so his car is free on the day of your lesson. Stay calm. Believe in yourself. You can do it. Good luck!! and don't tell anyone about when your test is as this might just increase your nerves.
Is it best I give up now?

The professional opinion is that you could be a safe driver.
But today my examiner at the end said when I started driving he thought I was going to pass. He said my driving really isn't bad at all. And he was 'not just saying it.' I know myself that it's my nerves getting the better of me each time. :redface: But still falling 5 times shows I can't really drive I mean I do stupid things and fail.

I'd get more lessons, but also do something to tackle your nerves - perhaps some sort of relaxation class? Good luck.
Reply 18
I finally passed on my 7th attempt due to being an absolute nervous wreck. DON'T GIVE UP. Take a short break if you need to, but it's really not worth giving up on driving. Once I got in my own car, I could do everything at my own pace and I now love driving! I would argue the test isn't the best indicator of driving skill, especially for us anxious types.

Don't give up. I've just failed my test for the 4th time. (Test centre in steeton). Got to the last couple minutes and I went onto the roundabout in the correct lane as I was going straight forward. (Onto the road where the centre was) but without thinking I signalled right even though I was going straight and then ended up cutting into the middle lane instead of staying at the edge and going around the correct lane. Then I cut back to the lane I was supposed to be in causing a white van behind me to slow down as he thought I was going right. Got a serious for positioning. Less than a minute away from test centre. Frustrating but could have been avoided if I paid more attention. Pretty tedious are these bloody tests. Really annoys me especially when people who have passed their test do the exact same thing. Bull **** but still my fault. Oh well 5th time luck hopefully. Good luck with you next test :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending