The Student Room Group

Moving in with girlfriend - Issue with landlord?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to grab a house with a few friends and my girlfriend for my 3rd year at KCL (London). Will there be any issue with sharing a room with my girlfriend and working out the rent arrangements between us and our housemates?

IE Could we have 4 people living in a 3 bedroom house with no issues from the landlord? Has anybody had any issues with doing something like this?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by charliebe2
Hey guys,

I'm looking to grab a house with a few friends and my girlfriend for my 3rd year at KCL (London). Will there be any issue with sharing a room with my girlfriend and working out the rent arrangements between us and our housemates?

IE Could we have 4 people living in a 3 bedroom house with no issues from the landlord? Has anybody had any issues with doing something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Assuming bills can be shared fairly, yes you only have one room between you but you have to share the bills between 4. It will all depend on what a tenancy agreement states really.
I've seen landlords have an issue with an extra person staying in a room. You'll just have to discuss it with your potential landlords on a case by case basis.
Original post by charliebe2
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

The main issue I think most landlords would have is what's going to happen in the event that the two of you break up.

-AHappyTeddybear
Original post by AHappyTeddybear
The main issue I think most landlords would have is what's going to happen in the event that the two of you break up.

-AHappyTeddybear

@charliebe2 - ^THIS is important. There will probably be joint and several liability between you, meaning that if one of you swans off, then the other continues to be responsible for paying the rent and upholding the other duties (and benefitting from the rights) of the tenancy.
Original post by Reality Check
@charliebe2 - ^THIS is important. There will probably be joint and several liability between you, meaning that if one of you swans off, then the other continues to be responsible for paying the rent and upholding the other duties (and benefitting from the rights) of the tenancy.

Depends on the contract, you can't just swan off.
Original post by benjamin_graham
Depends on the contract, you can't just swan off.

You can if you're not on the tenancy agreement - that's the point of my post.
You can if you're not on the tenancy agreement - that's the point of my post.

Yes, but then why should she have to worry. It's the people on the contract who pay, regardless of if someone else is living there. Though I'm sure you are not allowed to house other people for extended periods of time.
Original post by benjamin_graham
Yes, but then why should she have to worry. It's the people on the contract who pay, regardless of if someone else is living there. Though I'm sure you are not allowed to house other people for extended periods of time.

I think the landlord would want all people who were living at the house to sign a tenancy agreement - this was what I was trying to say. But the OP isn't really asking about tenancy agreements, anyway: I think he's wanting to know if having more people than there are bedrooms is possible. And my answer to that is that conceptually I don't see why not, but that fourth person will probably be required to sign a tenancy agreement, rather than living there under an arrangement with the other tenants.
I think the landlord would want all people who were living at the house to sign a tenancy agreement - this was what I was trying to say. But the OP isn't really asking about tenancy agreements, anyway: I think he's wanting to know if having more people than there are bedrooms is possible. And my answer to that is that conceptually I don't see why not, but that fourth person will probably be required to sign a tenancy agreement, rather than living there under an arrangement with the other tenants.

Who says the landlord needs to know. It would only be bad if the 4th person decided to break something and the other 3 got screwed over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending